• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BDS Long Arm 4-Link vs. TNT Y-Link Radius Arms????

C85D4x4

NAXJA Member #1311
BDS Long Arm 4-Link

DSCF1397.JPG

DSCF1275.JPG

TNT Y-Link Radius Arms
http://www.projectxj.com/images/long.arms/IMG_5861.jpg

Anyone Run The BDS......

Why would you want the TNT Radius Arms or some other kit over this?

I know there isn't as much Protection and there is less ground clearance, but its a true 4-link

Discuss................

Last edited:
Why would you want a 4 link? I don't see the logic, the BDS has less clearance then the T&T, and you dont get the belly skid.

I run a T&T and would only trade it for the Clayton's, but would never go back to a 4 link, you get less flex with more arms.

-Alex

Ba-Riedo said:
I run a T&T and would only trade it for the Clayton's, but would never go back to a 4 link, you get less flex with more arms.

-Alex

why? what makes claytons better then the tnt y link?

radius arm set ups by nature shouldnt flex as good as the 4 link, and there is inherient binding issues and unloading when going up step hills.However they seem to flex fine anyway. Jeeps flex well right off the assembly line due to the 4 link set up.
Either kit will do a good job, i reckon get whats cheaper and easier to install.

I personally will be going the BDS kit when i sell my TJ.

Loss in ground clearance is minimal as well, and i cant see it stopping your truck too many times to want to change it in the real world.

Ba-Riedo said:
Why would you want a 4 link? I don't see the logic, the BDS has less clearance then the T&T, and you dont get the belly skid.

-Alex

AussieDave said:
radius arm set ups by nature shouldnt flex as good as the 4 link, and there is inherient binding issues and unloading when going up step hills.

What Aussie said

I don't run LA's so take my comments as you will.
1. This has NOTHING to do with flex, my short arms (and many others) out flex many LA's. They can all flex just fine if you set them up right.
2. Ground clearance for where I wheel IS a huge deal, any loss at all IS a big deal and will hold you up.
3. The TNT kit has a good belly pan, good clearance but difficult to get at front DS and dropping the TC. There also maybe some issues with making it work with some front D44's (clearance)
4. The Clayton's kit is easier to work on TC and DS's but No belly pan and loss of clearance. I believe it is also a weld on only? that was an issue for some people.
5. The BDS kit has loss of clearance (in different places than the Clayton's kit) and no bellypan.

There is a reason there are many kits on the market, they all have their own advantages and disadvantages.
just my .02
Michael

OK, it has a partial belly pan :)

It looks like it has the same issue as the TNT as far as dropping the TC without removing all of the front suspension arms?

Michael

2xtreme said:
OK, it has a partial belly pan :)

It looks like it has the same issue as the TNT as far as dropping the TC without removing all of the front suspension arms?

Michael

exactly how often are you pulling your t case? haha

256offroad said:
exactly how often are you pulling your t case? haha

I have removed my T-case 3 times personally.
I have worked on it (that would have been very difficult or impossible with a TNT belly skid) at least 2 or 3 other times.

I know at least 3 people who have TNT LA kits who have needed to work on their TC after installing the kit and it is a PITA. I think it is a VERY nice kit, but it does have it's drawbacks that should be noted.

C85D4x4 said:
If you look at the pic, that "parttial belly pan" is removable. Which allows you to get to the TC

You are correct, my typo, I meant Transmission, not TC.

Again, these are just my comments. I believe that each of these kits is a good kit and they each have their own strengths and drawbacks.

Michael

2xtreme, I agree with you - just out of curiosity, have any pics of your custom lift? I'm looking for ideas :D

JNickel101 said:
2xtreme, I agree with you - just out of curiosity, have any pics of your custom lift? I'm looking for ideas :D

What do you want pic's of..... Looks like front coils, rear leaves, and shocks all around :D

You have a PM with the details.
Michael

I have NEVER experianced any "unloading",Ive seen it though.Its seems more common on set-ups that use an arm longer than 33"(RE,Claytons).I run circles around the RE guys on all the trails!

I HAVE experianced the unloading of the Y-Link and it almost cost me my jeep. That is one downfall of the radius arms. I like TnT and all but if I was to do it again I would go with the BDS. The BDS kit was not out when I did my build. The TnT had just came out.

I too have experienced the unloading with the Ylink. I want to turn it into 4 link or 3 link down the road to get rid of the unloading. it only happens when you drive up stuff that most non-jeepers think you're crazy for doing. I've almost rolled because of it on more than one occasion, and despite the fact that i've got alcan rear leaves I'm getting a traction bar because when the front unloads it puts all the weight in the back and the springs wrap and sometimes the rear Ujoint or yoke ubolts will fail mid-climb, which has been near disasterous for me!!

couldn't un-loading be prevented somewhat with some limiting straps, or one center limiting strap?
just a question from someone still choosing between TNT y-link and RK 3-link... oh and this nice BDS system now too.

Back