• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electric fan question

projectTK

NAXJA Forum User
Well the guys that had it before me said the clutch in the manual fan died so they installed a electric fan that runs off the battery and ran a toggle to inner fender. Well i want to make this jeep road legal. What is the easiest way to have the fan come on automatically. Can u splice it to a wire coming out of the thermostat so when the thermostat opens it gives power to the fan or what? thanks for ur help

The sensor in stat is like 5v. I removed my clutch fan and doing electric. Plan is to put in an inline sensor 2 wire somewhere (haven't researched location yet) off a fusible link to the fan. It will kick in when it needs to and shut off when needs to (will prob stick in rad) and not hooked to ingition. So when i shut down the fan will still run til it has cooled, then shut off. Had it hooked up so that both fans came on with key off relay, and it is loud. can hear it over engine comming down the street when wife drove.

well if your Xj had the secondary electric fan on it then I would just hook up your fan to the power that ran the secondary electric fan.. you may also want to run a relay in there that would allow you to run it manual or automatic..

IE use the power from the secondary fan and your manual switch to switch the relay and some power from the battery and you are golden...

That could have been said better I am sure :)

well then how do u hook it up to run automatically? what wires? i have a electric fan that is wired to ground, one wire to toggle and one that goes straight to the battery's positive off the toggle. I dont want to toggle it every time it gets warm.

I Have An 87 Jeep Cherokee That I Bought Back In March. It Had 2 Large Electric Fans For The Conversion And Aftermarket Radiator. When I Got The Jeep The Fan/Temp Sensor Worked Fine, But After Time And Time Again Of Constant Late Night Wheelin And Long Drives Through The Desert The Sensor Stayed On And Got Stuck On. I Spliced The Fan Wires And Put A Toggle Switch In My Dash Where There Fog Light Switch Was (Had To Get A Toggle Switch Long Enough To Fit Through 2 Small Metal Plates 1 On Each Side Of The Dash.) Now When I Start My Jeep Up I Flip The Switch On And My Jeep Almost Always Runs Under Temp Now :rof:

There is a lamp that comes on in center consule for shifter when you turn on key. Tapping into that will turn the fan on when you turn the key on, no need to forget to turn on the toggle. But is geeehtooo. I know, that is how i had before, and is why I would tie a temp sensor in rad. It is what I am working on at this time. (well been lazy) went and got the stat sensor replaced, and replaced the one on the block as well so that I can get it back to stock. My trouble now is that the relay kicks in and got correct voltage to the the sensor, but I get no power at the fan. I also cant get it to come on with a/c cause it is not charged so a/c not working, plus the fan control switch has a short, and nothing will work until fan comes on. Did an 8" super+ from rk with rear coil over. Which I had to take out the gabson cat back and magnaflow cat I just put in. So I cant run the engine to see if fan kicks in when warm.

RªMB° said:
I Have An 87 Jeep Cherokee That I Bought Back In March. It Had 2 Large Electric Fans For The Conversion And Aftermarket Radiator. When I Got The Jeep The Fan/Temp Sensor Worked Fine, But After Time And Time Again Of Constant Late Night Wheelin And Long Drives Through The Desert The Sensor Stayed On And Got Stuck On. I Spliced The Fan Wires And Put A Toggle Switch In My Dash Where There Fog Light Switch Was (Had To Get A Toggle Switch Long Enough To Fit Through 2 Small Metal Plates 1 On Each Side Of The Dash.) Now When I Start My Jeep Up I Flip The Switch On And My Jeep Almost Always Runs Under Temp Now :rof:

Why would you go to the effort of starting every single word with a capital??? :eek: :confused1

Back