• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric question

farleyd

NAXJA Forum User
Ok So I put a new CD player in the old Xj that I got back in april and now when I turn on the head lights the player gos off for a few secs and if i use the cig lighter the fuse blowes? any help would be grate.
thanks Don

Two important questions...

1) What year is your rig? We need to know this, so someone can come up with electrical diagrams to refer to (since we don't have the rig in question handy...)

2) Did you modify the wiring when you installed the head unit? Did you notice previous modifications? Did you only install a head unit, or was there also an amp, EQ, or other electronic device installed while you did the head unit?

Both very important...

5-90

oops!!it is a 94 just the head unit. It took me about 2 hours to sort out the wireing for the head unit. I beleave I have it right for the unit useing the stock wireing. also looks like there was a amp installed at one time.found some heavy gage wire. does not look like any of the old wire is hooked up in any way. There was no plug for the head unit so I hard wired it. The only wire I did not use was for the dimmer function. Other then that no mods.

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me after I had a head unit installed. I went back and they needed to find another positive. That fixed it.

Back