• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CV Driveshaft w/o sye kit

No, but I've seriously thought of this as an alternative for a SYE. These guys prices SUCK though. $300 for a no-name brand driveline? I'd bet six states or Tom Woods would make one for less. I was considering just getting an XJ front driveline and having it retubed to have no slip splines, then just mating the slip yoke from the rear to it and calling it done. Should be $120 or less to do it.

Jared

The CV needs a fixed yoke on both ends to run vibe free, buddy tried to get away without SYE and found out the hard way.

Do you mean something like this?
drvshaft.jpg

You'll get all kinds of arguments about this set up. I personally ran this drive shaft for the first year or so of building my rig and was not afraid to wheel with it. For lower lifts, it works great. No vibs!!! Start getting up in the height department, and this isn't your answer. If you go this route, make sure the slip yoke is a one piece cast & machined unit. Some shops make a 2 piece machined and welded unit, which is prone to failure. I know that the yoke tha I ran came from Inland Empire Drivline. Also, I run a 242 t-case. HTH.
Thanks,
Dan.

For lower lifts you don't need a SYE unless you have a 231/8.25 combo that has vibes from the factory built in :roflmao:

XJoachim said:
For lower lifts you don't need a SYE unless you have a 231/8.25 combo that has vibes from the factory built in :roflmao:

I believe I have the 231/8.25 on a 94 XJ, and plan on using rusty's 4.5" lift with about a 1" BB. I guess my best bet would be on the norm with the sye and cv.

ASJackman said:
I believe I have the 231/8.25 on a 94 XJ, and plan on using rusty's 4.5" lift with about a 1" BB. I guess my best bet would be on the norm with the sye and cv.

I have a 91 XJ w/ AX 15, D35 and rusty's 4.5 & 2" BB. My rear shaft measures ~33" (u-joint center to center). With a 1" TC drop I have no vibes. SYE is in the plans, but I've ran this for over a year w/ no problems.

I have basically the same setup as grasseater. 6" lift, with an AX15 and D35. I used a 1" tcase drop and had no vibes for about a week. They quickly returned however. After working with it for a month or so with no success, I did something out of desperation - I moved my axle forward about 1 inch by redrilling my perches and ubolt top plates. This pushed the slip yoke farther into the tcase and dramatically improved the vibes. I guess that having more of the slip yoke engaged to the output shaft cleaned up the slop and just solidified things in general. I have used this setup since the day before I went to the NAXJA 20th Anniversary thing back in October and have had zero problems since. Vibes are still there, but are very faint and tolerable until I save enough for a proper SYE.

Do, I don't think that this is the real answer, but it works for now!

Jared

Back