• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper build- skin-on-frame method?

burntkat

NAXJA Member #1145
I am in need of a front bumper for my S10 SAS project. I want something reminiscent of an ARB, but don't have the ability to use CAD, a laser table, or a brake.

I thought about maybe doing a skin-on-frame sort of affair, building out the shape of the bumper with 1X1 square tubing. Then come back and skin it with 3/16 or 1/8" plate, depending on the section.

Obviously the winch tray will need to be heavy plate. I would prefer it was a seperate construction, personally, again a la ARB.

Has anyone seen a bumper built in this fashion? I think between the tubing and the frame it would likely be stronger- by a fair margin- than a mere plate assembly.

Last edited:
Realistically, as long as you enclose the bumper "box" on the back in key spot (4 sides instead of 3), the frame would just be redundant.

Build it out of cardboard and duct tape 1st... then use the cardboard pieces for templates to cut the metal however you cut metal.

This is how my bumper was built. Mostly 1/4" plate. Tons of grinding like days to round the top edge.
Build it out of cardboard and duct tape 1st... then use the cardboard pieces for templates to cut the metal however you cut metal.
8e1cbd4ed71564315e9ef68dd91be41c.jpg

Sent from my Arse because my hands are full

That is pretty much exactly what I am wanting to build.

I don't know how to weld to string.

;)

Back