• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bug Bites

This thread makes me itch...

mac 'even over a week later' gyvr

i used my backpack over the weekend (cleaned it out when i got home from nacfest) and it still has earwigs coming out of it. plus my shed that i put my tent in is infected with earwigs now

i used my backpack over the weekend (cleaned it out when i got home from nacfest) and it still has earwigs coming out of it. plus my shed that i put my tent in is infected with earwigs now

I'm worried about that myself. Everything except the tent got washed the moment I got home. I checked the trunk of the car the other day, and there was nothing moving around there. But the tent does make me nervous. I supposed I have to go and set it up, to make sure I don't have an infestation going. How fast do those little bastards multiply anyway?

David Bricker / SYR

You guys don't air your shit out after camping?

Nah, I want to be able to savor the aroma of the previous trips' beer farts.

My chigger bites are almost completely gone. They don't itch anymore. Of course, this past weekend, I did battle with a thorn apple bush, stupidly, in shorts and a t-shirt. I won in the end, and the thorn apple is now in the burn pile, but there were casualties.

David Bricker / SYR

I always pack a can of Raid when I tent camp anymore, and spray the crap out of the base of my tent once it's raised, then spray some more...has worked wonders for the past couple years...
Rich

I always pack a can of Raid when I tent camp anymore, and spray the crap out of the base of my tent once it's raised, then spray some more...has worked wonders for the past couple years...
Rich

That's a brilliant idea! Will be adding a can to the tent bag.

David Bricker / SYR

I didn't see a single damn earwig on any of my stuff :confused:

Of course I haven't set my tent back up yet either. I figure leaving it zipped inside the bag is a method of quarantine.

I didn't see a single damn earwig on any of my stuff :confused:

Of course I haven't set my tent back up yet either. I figure leaving it zipped inside the bag is a method of quarantine.

Between Rob and I, I believe our tents contained all earwigs in the state of Pennsylvania.

David Bricker / SYR

Earwigs dont bite. The rear pincers are not "stingers". They do however gather in cracks & crevices, damp areas.

I have seen some very misinformative websites that lead you to believe earwigs are dangerous. Thats horse poop.

369933-36618-36.jpg

Right, earwigs don't bite, but it was a bit nasty the quantity of them that weekend. And they were in everything that was exposed to the outside, even the wheels of my cooler, and the slides and legs of my folding table.

The chiggers, on the other hand couldn't be seen, but boy were they felt the next days.

David Bricker / SYR

chigger WHAT?

Back