• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

KL Cherokee for XJ Cherokee?

4WDlifeform

NAXJA Forum User
It has been a while since I have posted here. I have to say I miss NAXJA, but even more, I miss my XJ. Long story short, I sold my XJ to get a WJ. WJ had major death wobble issues and became un-reliable, so I picked up a KL Cherokee. Still have WJ, now runs great.

I honestly do not like the KL after 7 months of owning it. Awesome vehicle, just not for me. So I am looking for a way out of a car payment.

In a perfect world, Id like to trade it with a dealer, pay off the loan, and drive off the lot with a "good condition" XJ (I owe a few thou less than the KL is worth). I have always bought used vehicles cash, or traded in a lesser value vehicle for a more expensive vehicle.

Anyone ever do something like this? Or, should I expect to find a cash buyer for my KL? How likely is that going to be? I appreciate any thoughts, thanks!

Number-wise...you will get more by selling to a private party and should pick up an XJ for less from a private individual.
It will take more time and patience. And, dealing with multiple private viewings & test drives is a PITA.
Much easier to go the dealer route...but, I like my money and like for it to go to aftermarket goodies for my XJ. So, I would sell & buy privately.
Took me a year to find my XJ.
Good luck and be safe with some of the crazies out there!!

You won't find an XJ on a dealer lot. Even the junk lots (and every city has them) doesn't have XJs on the lot. Start shopping Craigslist and prepare to see a lot of them before you find "the one."

Thanks for the comments. I was thinking I would just list the KL and see what happens. I never sold a vehicle that I still owed on, so I am unfamiliar with that process. The bank holds the title.

The XJ I am looking for I will not be too picky about. I had several Jeeps, including an XJ before, so I am not afraid to spend a few weeks getting it in the shape I want. Only thing I really want is the AX-15 5-speed. My old XJ had it, and I loved it. But, hard to find. Drove to Virginia for that one, I'm willing to drive again for another!

You will get the money from the seller. He or she will get a bill of sale that you both sign and have notarized. They take the vehicle home and go to their county clerk and get a 30 day temp plate. You pay off the vehicle and then when the lien holder releases the title to you, you sign it over to the buyer and then they return to the clerk and get the title issued in their name and get their plates.

That's basically the way it went down when I bought a truck private party where the owner had a lien.

Back