• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help for Harlan County

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
My church does a yearly mission project that is specifically for the students of Harlan County. Please read below for the description of the project:

Project Joy - School Supplies and Bags for Harlan, KY. History: " Harlan is a small-town northeast of Knoxville. With the decline of the coal mining industry and the lack of other industry, Harlan residents have fallen on hard times. With the population now down to less than 32,000, almost 40% of the county's children live in poverty. Founded by Priest Lake Presbyterian Church 18 years ago, we join with them in their work by putting together learning bags with items bought by FPC Mission Committee and you. Priest Lake Presbyterian Church will distribute the supplies.

1. Books for Middle School and High School students. Consider the books your students read this past year in school or those they are expecting to read next year as you clean bookshelves this summer and prepare for the upcoming school year.
2. 300 Crossword or Word Find Puzzle Magazines to add to the Learning Bags we will assemble.
3. College and Wide Rule lose Leaf Notebook Paper (these will be sent in bulk for the teachers to use as needed).

To give you an idea of poverty - for a family of 4 - the poverty line is $24,600. That is $2,050 a month. We raised about that in one night just at the raffle.

Since Harlan County is an important part of my life, with the annual Cherokee Crawl trip, and having seen the lifestyle difference that the folks in Harlan Co live versus what I've been given, I am planning to donate some of these goods for this project.

If anyone would be interested in helping at all, if you would like to make a donation in my family paypal account - [email protected] - I will be checking the balances on September 1 and then purchasing the hard goods for delivery.

Please put "Harlan County Project Joy" in the notes so that it is easily recognized.

Thanks for your consideration.

Sent $25 to help out. Did you put this up in the MWC?

Thanks Glenn! I did post it in the MWC as well.

So far we've received donations that have purchased 4500 sheets of notebook paper for the Harlan County students.

Its my hope that in the next 11 days we can raise enough to supply 15,000 sheets of paper. We are less than $60 away from that goal.

Please consider helping if you are so inclined.

Thank you.

Very generous man! Thank you

I believe this fund raiser is great and all but I believe teachers would use printer paper more than they need notebook paper. My sister is a teacher and scanning copies of class assignments is more common than needing loose leaf paper. Just thinking out loud.

Great idea Dirk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Nick. I'm only purchasing what the county told the churche that they need. My understanding is that it is geared not towards what the teachers can use, but rather what can be supplied to the students. Students will need the spiral bound notebooks and loose leaf paper for all classes.

We are up to 16,800 sheets - I purchased 240 spiral bound notebooks today.

Thanks Tim! That's another 60 notebooks!

Response has been wonderful - up to 560 notebooks.

Wal-mart is closing out this week - 10 for $1. I was able to clean out one Wal-mart this morning with a purchase of 260 of them!

Thanks y'all.

Thanks to the generous donations from members of the SEC, we were able to provide 560 notebooks for use in Harlan County school.

Thanks for helping.

Back