• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what clutch master cylinder/ slave setup in ax 15 swap

Jeeptech85

NAXJA Forum User
ok here we go. I have a 88 mj (4.0/d30/d35/ax15/241) I bought the jeep some time ago and have dumped way to much into it to give up on it. I swapped an ax15 into it a few years back and only really have gotten to drive it for maybe 6 months.The clutch master cylinder kit with slave all pre-bled from autozone, worked for the 6 months then quit. I'm at a loss as to how to fix it. I have tried a few other kits and same issue. the seals keep getting blown out of the master and leaking fluid out making it useless. It is an external slave setup. do want to go through the hassle of swapping to internal. What I need to know, is there a part number or specific company to get a setup from. maybe a certain year of cherokee (being mj never had an external slave that I know of). I know plenty of people swap these things in all the time, what did you use to fix it. I want my mj back lol sorry for the shit grammer it late

Above is the one that you want. Aftermarkets are junk.

You'll have to drill out the plastic eye that attaches to the pedal arm. And, you'll have to bend the arm slightly as shown in the pic below, this keeps the relationship of the arm/rod to plunger straight as you press down on the pedal.

When I did the external slave swap in my 87 MJ I kept the original master. I had a custom braided hose made up that went to a fitting from Advance Adapters down on the slave. I put it all together back in October and have had zero issues.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I don't know if this could relate to your situation or not, but I have twice gotten to fix "un-fixable" clutch problems on GM vehicles that wound up being the result of someone installing the throwout bearing incorrectly. In both instances the spring clip on the clutch fork had been installed such that it was clipped over the flange on the throwout bearing rather than being under the flange. One of those situations was very similar to yours: Clutch job had been done months before, master/slave cylinder were deemed to be at fault. Multiple replacements and bleeding later and the problem persisted. On the plus side, I got my dad a nearly free truck because nobody wanted anything to do with it anymore.

Hello there, I have a Wilwood clutch master cylinder (GS Compact Integral Master Cylinder Part # 260-15098) install on my 97 Xj with the AX15. Ran a stainless steel flexible line and attached it to the Slave from Advance Adapters. On the pedal side I installed a small heim on the rod's tread and drilled a hole on the pedal's shaft to be attached with a bolt.

It work's great!

Back