NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > MJ Tech & Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

MJ Tech & Discussion Forum A Forum for tech discussions specifically related to the Jeep Comanche

Old August 29th, 2017, 17:03
NAXJA Member

Re: MJ on 42 Boggers continued

I installed a diode in the aux. brake circuit on the trailer and now everything is working as it should. My driveway is a little steep so its nice to be able to lock all 4 trailer brakes when loading/unloading.

I also got the Barnes's shackle mounts in and got them welded on, painted and even hung a set of orange shackles just to make it look good.

[IMG]Untitled by David Nichols, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old September 3rd, 2017, 23:20
NAXJA Member

I planned on working on the wiring at a much later time, but I'm finding myself doing a little bit of road driving every time I go out so I figured I better at least wire the lights so I at least look somewhat legal .

I was good at wiring before, but now that I've spent the last 11 months "helping out" in the Electrical Department. I've become a pro at it. No more butt connectors for everything. Nothing but DT & MP connections now.

The only downfall is that now I know how to wire things theres no way that I'm going to just hack it together. So that means that this just turned into a project, and its going to get expensive. I just ordered a sealed PDM, some diodes, an LED flasher & some more connectors so I'll have to wait to complete it.

Well, at least I got the marker lights, turn signals, headlights, fog lights, permitter lights and winch controls wired on the front end. Of course that was probably the easy part. Now I need to get them into the cab and wire up some waterproof MIL spec switches and the PDM, that will take some time.

Old September 5th, 2017, 16:23
NAXJA Member

More parts in today.

Old September 9th, 2017, 19:54
NAXJA Member

Installed the compressors today, and like everything else, it turned into a project. The air tank only has one port on it and its on the bottom. So I welded a 1/2" bung on each end of it. I would have removed the tank to do this but I would have had to removed the fuel tank to get to the bolts so I just welded them on under the truck, not too pretty but functional.

Once that was done I looked for a good location to mount the compressors. I wanted to install them in the bed but paperwork said to keep them away from moisture and I figured it would be a pain to protect them. Locating them under the hood is out of the question because of space so I decided to mount them in the cab. WOW space is in short supply on these trucks, you definitely need to get creative. My last rig was a full size Blazer so there was tons of room for anything I wanted.

I made up a couple mounting plates out of some scrap 3/16" plate, welded them to the rear floor channel and mounted the compressors. I figured that I'd plumb the system with PEX, it's rated for 160 psi and the press switch is set to turn of at 150 psi. so I should be well within a safe operating range. After a couple trips to the hardware store I was finally able to get the system plumbed.

The specs say these things draw a combined 60 amps and I wanted to be sure that I didn't have another "THERMAL EVENT" so I'm using a leftover Warn winch solenoid instead of a relay to activate them. I was going to carry a spare but figured I'd just wire it in as a back up. If I ever have a failure all I have to do is move one of the jumpers in the MP-280 splice pack and it will switch to the back up solenoid. I'm using a 75 amp resettable circuit breaker feeding a 6 ga cable to the solenoids. From there a 10 ga wire is tied into the compressors so I shouldn't run into any excessive draw issues. I'm using a MIL Spec waterproof DPDT switch (eventually they will all be changed over to these) with an aircraft switch cover just to follow the theme of what was already there, plus I think they're pretty cool, and an indicator light. Not that I'll forget they are on, they are plenty loud enough in the cab to hear over just about anything. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out though, Theres plenty of clearance between the compressors and seats and I can clearly see the air gauge. The photo of the gauge was taken about 2 hours after I turned off the compressors so I clearly have a small leak I need to find.

Now time for testing. The specs. say that it will take 1 min. 15 sec. to fill a 2.5 gal tank from 0 to 145 psi. I didn't think to time it but it certainly took longer than that to fill the tank. The other thing is that I really don't know how big the tank is, I'm just guessing at 2.5 gal. If I have time tomorrow I'll measure it as well as get an accurate fill time. I removed the valve core from one of my tires (42.5 x 13.5 x 17 Bogger) and completely drained the air. I then timed filling the tire from 0 to 15 psi. and it took exactly 2 minutes. And the compressors didn't drop below 80 psi while filling, so I was defiantly pretty happy with that. I also checked current draw while running them and found that it isn't that bad. For the most part it runs around 28 to 35 amps until about 120 psi or so. then goes up a little. It tops out at 45 amps just before shutting off at 150 psi. The thing that I didn't expect was the heat. I expected it to get hot, but wholly shit do these things heat up. The manufacturer has a caution not in the manual:

"CAUTION:
Never touch the air compressor or fittings connected to the air compressor, with bare hands during or immediately after use. The leader hose and fittings connected to leader hose will become very HOT during and after use. If necessary, wear heat resistant gloves to handle fittings, air line, and leader hose."

This is the understatement of the century, after running the compressor long enough to fill the 2.5 ??? gal tank and bring one 42.5 x 13.5 x 17 Bogger from 0 to 15 psi. the compressor head was 220 degrees and the end of the leader hose was 160 degrees. Thank god I made sure that there was a couple inches of clearance between these and the seats.
Old September 9th, 2017, 20:17
NAXJA Member

Next project: Beadlocks

I have the wheels and the weld on beadlocks should be here next Tuesday. Gotta say I'm a little excited about this one. And I get to make a spare tire mount. Only problem, I need to find a spare 42.5" tire now . I'm guessing that will be more of a challenge than building the beadlock wheels .

Old September 10th, 2017, 18:25
NAXJA Member

Defiantly more of a leak than I thought, the tank psi was at "0" psi this morning. I guess I have some leak testing in my future.
Old September 13th, 2017, 16:59
NAXJA Member

The beadlocks came in today so I figured I get started on them. I prepped all the wheels for them and tacked the first one in place. When I started jigging up the second beadlock for tacking I noticed that they didn't have the anti-coning rings on them. I stopped what I was doing and tried calling Chassis Unlimited to find out why I didn't receive them. I proceeded to sit on hold for about 15 min before the automated message kicked in and required me to leave a message. I left a message but don't expect to hear back until tomorrow. I already had the first one tacked in place so I figured they aren't going to take it back anyway so I might as well finish welding it now.

If they send me new rings they can send me 4 of them and a separate anti-coning ring.

Old September 14th, 2017, 16:54
NAXJA Member

Well no call back from Chassis Unlimited today, but when I got home the anti-coning spacers were sitting on my deck courtesy of UPS. It looks like they shipped a day later than the other parts. The funny part is that the email I received with the tracking info only listed two packages which were the inner & outer rings. Still waiting for the 2" DOM to come in, bought that to bring the price up to get fee shipping. When I check my account on their website it shows that nothing has shipped yet.
Old September 14th, 2017, 17:07
NAXJA Member

I also got most of the parts for the disc brake conversion for the 14-bolt. I'm hoping to get away with not running a proportioning valve for now. I guess I'll have to see how that works out but the brakes absolutely suck right now so I figure it can't get worse.

Old September 15th, 2017, 18:37
NAXJA Member

Four done and one to go. I should be able to get the last one done and get all the anti-conning rings installed tomorrow. With any luck I'll be able to get them painted too.

Old September 16th, 2017, 16:41
NAXJA Member

Little more progress today, welded up the last inner beadlock ring and primed & painted the outer rings.

I guess I'm gonna stick with Jesse's color scheme, its definitely grown on me.

Old September 17th, 2017, 16:36
NAXJA Member

Finished up by welding the anti-conning rings and painting the wheels. And finally the beadlocks are done! I was able to break down one tire and mount it on the new wheel. Holy shit, I forgot how much work it is to break down and change a tire by hand.