• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Gremlin

POSJ

NAXJA Forum User
ECU2 fuse pops on my 92' 4 Dr when RPM's get above 2000 rpm. Was in the middle of nowhere so I had to put a 30 amp fuse in to get in back to somewhere. This in turn killed the alternator. Is the ECU2 fuse tripping a computer problem more likely or should I start chasing wires?

Thanks,
Tyler

Sounds like you either have a short somewhere, or a component that is worn and drawing way too much amperage. I am not at all familiar with your wiring schematics, so you should go though a diagram and test draw and conductivity afterwards. Example-Your blower motor is drawing too much current and playing primary instead of sharing within that particular circuit. Really need to go through the diagram, think about anything else that seems off and troubleshoot within those parameters first.

was prolly the alt.

the alt is regulated by the ECU.

check the wiring between the alt and ecu tho before hookin her back up.

if the alt doesn't charge...

time for a new ECU :(

xo. on the alternator. Correct me if I'm wrong but does't the alt. have a voltage reg. on the back of it. Might be thinkin of the Delco alt.? If the reg. is bad, could over-charge, and blow the fuse.

My buddy has a '92 but won't be in contact with him until Monday, I will check his. I believe there should be a regulator somewhere though, on or off the alt. Troubleshooting questions:
1. running extra lights? If so, did you create a circuit or did you splice in somwhere?
2. Have you been having any trouble with your blower motor, stereo, startup, power door locks?
3. I ask #2 because the ECU and alternator both control a lot of things, best thing you can do is go through a wiring diagram from the fuse box-run to the alternator and ECU and see what primary circuits run through whatever other problem you've been having. If you haven't, Could very well be the regulator for alt. If not their, really have to dig.

I am not saying this isn't the ECU, but it's worth it to check other items before you spend all that money not knowing if it will fix your problem.

1. No extra lights.
2. Yes the blower switch blew out, and almost burned down my jeep.
3. So it is probably the blower switch?

6 months old just wondering if I should chase the blower switch wires? My XJ is still stuck in Whitehorse YT, CA so I can't do it from North Dakota...

i'm not to familier with ur wireing but if i were u i would case down th eblower switch and the voltage regulator they sound the most reasonable to me

just my 0.2$

The voltage regulator from 1991 and up IS INSIDE THE PCM. IT IS NOT REGULATED AT THE ALTENATOR LIKE PREVIOUS YEARS. And I would be looking at the ECM harnesses where they come near anything metal that could ground out if insulation was rubbed off in that area.

The blower switch doesn't run on the same circuit as ECM2-but to convince yourself you could just unplug the climate control panel.

Back