• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head Lamp Realy Install

stesul411

NAXJA Forum User
just did the head lamp relay setup on the heep, man talk about a difference in light output. cant wait till I put the Silverstars in it. I'd reccomend this upgrade for every ones driver.

What gage wiring did you use for the harness? I'm asking because, instead of the Silverstars, you would probably REALLY like the results if you went to Hella Vision Plus or Hella E-Code with "oversize" bulbs.

I built my harness with 12/3 rubber jacket stranded, and I use 130W/90W bulbs in Hella E-Codes - NICE! I can see where I'm going, and the high beams not only work well on long freeway stretches at O-dark-thirty, but also serve to remind the ricers with their silly blue headlights just how foolish they are. The looks I get are usually something like "The ships have LANDED!"

Go ahead and peruse Susquehanna Motorsports (www.rallylights.com) for more information and pricing - the only better prices I've gotten are from International Truck - but I can always get what I need from SMS. By the time I figure in sales tax vice shipping, I come out ahead anyhow (I order in batches.)

For anything beyond stock, I'd definitely recommend a minimum wire size of 12 gage per lead. I used 12/3 because that way the wires are already contained and I only have to pull a single cable rather than three wires. I'd not go any smaller - I think I figured 12 gage to be good for up to about 200W. If I could find anything brighter than that (!) I'd redo my harness and go to 10/3.

For high-powered auxiliary lighting, 10/3 is a minimum - and probably the largest you'd be able to find easily. Welding suppliers can go with 8/3, 6/3, or even 4/3 if you look - but that's just getting ridiculous (and I'd probably use that stuff for something other than lighting anyhow - probably power distribution from a remote battery or somesuch...)

5-90

For the lamp to lamp harness I used a stock 93 Dodge truck harness and sockets (12ga. from factory) from a junk yard, so I did not have to build a harness. From the harness to the relays I used 12ga. also. For the 12v power I used 10ga. wired directly to the battery. The relays and relay plugs came from junk yard XJ's. I replaced the terminals in the relay plug also.

TOTAL cost for this project $20.00 and about 3 hours.

I have a set of used Silverstar sealed beams I got off teh same 93 Ram truck, with these the total cost will be $25.00

Yes Hella H4's are in the future.

Last edited:
Back