• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speed By Spectre

Paul Airhart

NAXJA Forum User
It was posted here that Spectre needed particular vehicles for engineering. One was an XJ, but They already had someone for that. My Tow Vehicle, on the other hand They really wanted. Because of S.E.M.A. They got way behind and needed My Truck for a while longer...And I needed one of Their intakes for My Jeep. It showed up last night. So...

Spectre-Intake-001.jpg

I have a K&N already (sold) but We're going to be moving in the next couple years to a place where it gets wet alot, and They like to play in the mud and do water crossings. But anyone that has one of these knows it is non conducive with water.

Spectre-write-up-pics-004.jpg

So when I saw what Spectre was making for XJ's, I just had to have one...Ended up getting it for being patient with Them.

Started off with an adapter ring, tight fit but once on it was like it belonged there all along.
Spectre-write-up-pics-006-1.jpg

The Kit is Well Engineered, yet fairly simple.

Spectre-write-up-pics-007.jpg

The oiled Cone filter fits into the Tylenol Capsule looking portion.

Spectre-write-up-pics-009.jpg

Spectre-write-up-pics-010.jpg

Over the adapter ring goes a rubber boot to accept the plenum.

Spectre-write-up-pics-011.jpg

Next the other end needs to be placed, so I assembled the whole unit and found where the piece would be located. Marked it and layed out for the next step.

Spectre-write-up-pics-012.jpg

This system uses the Fresh air box below the cowl at the bottom of the windshield for the air box. So I had to take a hole saw to it.

Spectre-write-up-pics-013.jpg

Now the directions do not say to use a sealer at this connection, but it won't be coming off and I wanted it Water Proof. So I sealed it to the fire wall with Ultra-Black. Once it was in place I tooled the sealer and moved on.

Spectre-write-up-pics-015.jpg

There is what They call a "Hump" boot, allows a little movement I guess. Put that in place and moved on.

Spectre-write-up-pics-016.jpg

After that it really was a No-Brainer, assemble the pieces, slide it into the boots on either end and tighten the clamps. Put on the crank case breather hose that was included, including the cool little ends, not functional but better than just a hose clamp.

Spectre-write-up-pics-025.jpg

Spectre-write-up-pics-021.jpg

Spectre-write-up-pics-022.jpg

Spectre-write-up-pics-020.jpg

And Guess where My Second Battery is Going. :)

Spectre-write-up-pics-027.jpg

Nice Folks there at Spectre, I am dealing with George Luna, one of the Engineers. If You check their site, They still need some Cars, and You get an intake of Your choice for Your trouble. Wait till You see what they are giving Me to Feed My LS9 in the Tow Vehicle, it should be out of set up and in production, and ready for Me in May-June.

i bet you can hear that bad boy sucking in the air when you get on the throttle.. sounds like a turbo haha

i bet you can hear that bad boy sucking in the air when you get on the throttle.. sounds like a turbo haha

Like the K&N, it does make some noise when You step on it. And I can hear a little "hiss" at idle.

Any plans to put a sock on it when in the dust Paul? I know the K&N filters are worthless in the dust without the prefilters, high flow is the opposite of high filtration. Just curious if they have a plan for that. Maybe you could suggest some type of insert pre-filter to them for those that wheel their rigs :cheers:

Any plans to put a sock on it when in the dust Paul? I know the K&N filters are worthless in the dust without the prefilters, high flow is the opposite of high filtration. Just curious if they have a plan for that. Maybe you could suggest some type of insert pre-filter to them for those that wheel their rigs :cheers:
I will. That's not a bad idea, and there's room in the Pill. I used to put a few pairs of knee high nylons on My sand drag bike. Worked pretty good. but in this case it would have to be cone shape too.

looks awesome, except for that fake AN hose up top =\

Hahaha, well, if it was Perfect it wouldn't be on My Rig. :D But I do like it better than black hose with clamps. :eek:

Could there be any effect from the blow by oil being dumped back into the intake?

That's where the blow by is supposed to go, smog thing, they want it to re-burn.

As long as actual oil is not going into the intake, you shouldn't have a problem. oil vapor is fine. this is why the stock air box elbow points downhill towards the air filter, because oil is far less likely to make it into the intake if it has to flow up the slope to get there.

As long as actual oil is not going into the intake, you shouldn't have a problem. oil vapor is fine. this is why the stock air box elbow points downhill towards the air filter, because oil is far less likely to make it into the intake if it has to flow up the slope to get there.

I would have full on oil... If I drive over 65 for any length of time it will dump into my airbox pretty good. With this setup it would drain into my intake... Not sure if this would matter at all though...

put in a catch can, just install some type of canister (you can get oil catch cans on ebay cheap or make one yourself) in between the valve cover breather and the airbox, and make it a lower point than the airbox side connection. oil will collect there instead of pissing into your air filter and ruining it. if you get one with a sight glass or tube and a drain on the bottom you can just check it every once in awhile and drain it as necessary, I have one on my saturn because they are known for tons of blow-by and it fills up once every couple of weeks.

this is the one I have, but they tend to leak at the push fittings on the clear tube so I siliconed them into the connectors.

pdmcan3-large.jpg

The Porsche racers I know use catch cans, when they get into the last laps they start to pass compression into the case. My K&N never showed fluid oil going into, just a vapor sheen. fluid oil usually means Your ring's are about done, except in extreme street cars running boost and high compression creating a lot of heat. I've seen Guy's drop the pan, rod caps, pull the head and tap the pistons up. You can re-ring and replace the rod bearings. Nice can by the way, Grimm.

Back