• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56 Gears, Lockers and Overhaul Kits

Anak

Stranger
NAXJA Member
D44 rear and HP D30

These can be delivered to Adopt-a-Trail. Parts Train may also be an option. I would prefer to avoid shipping, but if there is no other way, I will ship on your dime.

D44 first:

Eaton 187SL-16D Detroit Locker. Looks brand new at first glance. Story is that a guy put it in his wife's vehicle and she drove it for two months until the first snow/ice for the season came to Big Bear. Scared the beejeebus out of her and she demanded it be removed.

This is for 30 spline axles, 3.73 and down gears (note that gearset is thick gears to deal with this).

Only apology is very slight surface rust at one end. Most of that wiped off with a WD40 soaked paper towel. Pictures show it at its worst.

New this retails for about $620. Asking $400.

Pictures:

EatonD44Locker1OPT.jpg

and

EatonD44Locker12OPT.jpg

and

EatonD44Locker6OPT.jpg

and

EatonD44Locker8OPT.jpg

and

EatonD44Locker13OPT.jpg

Gear set for D44

This is a Yukon Gear YG D44-456T set of new, in the box gears. Ring gear package has been opened. Pinion has not been opened.

Note that these are 4.56 gears designed to be used on a 3.73 and lower carrier. (Manufacturer's link in case there is any confusion on this front: https://www.yukongear.com/productdetails.aspx?ProdID=12090 )

These list for about $290. I am asking $200. These are still new.

Pictures:

D44YG456Gears1OPT.jpg

and

D44YG456Gears3OPT.jpg

and

D44YG456Gears4OPT.jpg

and

D44YG456Gears5OPT.jpg

and

D44YG456Gears6OPT.jpg

D44 Master Overhaul Kit

This is a USA Standard Gear Master Overhaul Kit for a 30 spline D44. Part number ZK D44-Rear.

The package has been opened enough to remove one of the bearing/race sets, I assume just so the previous owner could check it out. I believe everything is present and new. All the bearings and races are there.

There is an Amazon vendor who has these for $100. Most parts places are asking more like $165. I don't know why that much of a price spread, but I will assume Amazon's vendor is legit. I am asking $65.

Pictures:

D44OverhaulKit1OPT.jpg

and

D44OverhaulKit2OPT.jpg

I would prefer to sell all of this as one lot. The asking total is $665, but if one person wants all of the D44 components I will sell them for $625.

Folks can go ahead and place dibs on individual components with the understanding that I will wait until midnight Saturday night to see if someone wants the whole enchilada. If no one has spoken for the whole enchilada by then I will sell individual elements in the order of PM received.

Next up, D30 components...

Detroit Front TrueTrac, I believe this is P/N 912A585. 27 spline HP D30, for 3.73 and up.

Used. No history known. I don't know if witness marks for reassembly are factory marks or evidence of a teardown and rebuild. Take a look at the pictures.

New these list for about $415. Asking $225.

Pictures:

DetriotD30TrueTrac1OPT.jpg

and

DetriotD30TrueTrac3OPT.jpg

and

and

DetriotD30TrueTrac4OPT.jpg

and

DetriotD30TrueTrac5OPT.jpg

and

DetriotD30TrueTrac6OPT.jpg

and

DetriotD30TrueTrac7OPT.jpg

HP D30 Gear Set

This is a Yukon Gear YG D30R-456R gear set.

These are new, but have been opened. No paper or plastic wrapping like the D44 set. I don't know if that is because they came from a different production facility or if the previous owner tossed that packaging. Still new though.

One apology for minor rust spot on pinion gear. Again, this mostly wiped off with a WD40 soaked towel, but picture shows it at its worst.

These list for about $260. I am asking $175. These are new.

Pictures:

D30YG456Gears1OPT.jpg

and

D30YG456Gears2OPT.jpg

and

D30YG456Gears11OPT.jpg

and

D30YG456Gears4OPT.jpg

and

D30YG456Gears5OPT.jpg

and

D30YG456Gears12OPT.jpg

Overhaul Master Kit

This is a USA Standard Gear Master Overhaul Kit for a Dana 30 front without the crush sleeve. (which for an XJ I believe means "high pinion")

This is all still sealed in the package. Nothing removed to check it out.

There is an Amazon vendor who has these for $105, but most all the other parts sources are asking $150-$175. I don't know why the price difference, but I will assume the Amazon vendor is legit. I am asking $75.

Pictures:

D30OverhaulKit1OPT.jpg

and

D30OverhaulKit4OPT.jpg

Again, I would prefer to sell everything as a lot. Asking total is $475, but if one person wants everything for the D30 I will sell it for $425. As with the D44 parts folks are free to PM me dibs on the individual components, but I will hold off until midnight Saturday night to see if someone wants the whole lot. If no one wants it all I will then sell components to individuals in the order PMs are received.

Thank you.

Hey, that stuff looks familair. wow, i guess i sold that stuff way too cheap. lol.
The Truetracks marks where put there by me. i put them on there to open it up and check the wear. these things just use the main body as a thrust surface. there is a great write-up about a guy who machined the thrust surface a bit and installed a thrust bearing. he also explained how to reset the tension on the spiral gears so they lock up harder. the unit you have there has very very little wear showing. from what i was told it was used for about a year then swapped out for a selectable locker.

the D30 gear set never had the paper when i got it from the distributer. that rust spot is most likely a fingerprint from when i received it and checked it all. all this stuff sat in my shop for years.

the install kits loose bearing came that way aswell. i was informed by the distributor that a bearing was taken but he replaced it with another from the factory. i was not worried about it.

You are correct about the Detroit locker. was used a couple months and then removed because it was the guys wifes daily driver.

Good luck with the sale.

Thank you for the additional details.

I think I have one person who is at least interested in some of the D44 parts.

If I did not still need to spend some cash of my MJ 4wd swap I'd consider the turdy parts. Unless payments are satisfactory?

I could sell them to you one piece at a time.

Good deal. This would fit a Remix era d30, right? Also, any idea of what installation price would be? Need to have all this information before I ask the wife for permission...

Tell her it'll pay for itself in gas money. Eventually. Maybe.

I don't think there is any problem with using this in a Renix D30. In fact, the previous owner had been working on an XJ Wagoneer project. That would have been a Renix.

The only challenge is deciding if you are going to increase the size of the job and ditch the disconnect.

Renix years that came with anti lock brakes did not have the disconnect front D-30. most had the high pinion full length D-30. plus i believe the ones that came with the 242 transfer case may have played a role in wether they got the disco or not. but i am not sure about that. my 87 and my 89 both had 242s and antilock brakes and both had the good high pinion full length D-30s. That is what i purchased all this stuff for way back when.

Renix years that came with anti lock brakes did not have the disconnect front D-30. most had the high pinion full length D-30. plus i believe the ones that came with the 242 transfer case may have played a role in wether they got the disco or not. but i am not sure about that. my 87 and my 89 both had 242s and antilock brakes and both had the good high pinion full length D-30s. That is what i purchased all this stuff for way back when.
Carrier doesn't matter lp vs hp.
Hp gears will work in esentially any 30 hp housing.
Renix 30 with 231 god disco axle, 242 was non disco.

Sold all the D30 parts as a package.

Still have the D44 parts.

Back