• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

re3.5 coil spring stock track bar redril

97jeepxj1

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious if anyone knows how far over I should redrill my track bar bracket to correct for the new re 3.5 coils I bought for my 97. I've read on other threads anywhere from 1/2"-1" and no one seems to remember for sure how far they moved it over. Also I can't seem to find a answer as to whether the new hole is straight across from the previous hole or is located at a offset angle higher on the mount.

A new adjustable track bar is not that expensive. Many times drilling a new hole results in an oversized hole and future Death Wobble issues, or it results in the metal between both the old and new holes tearing. About 3/4" over is what I have seen most commonly.

If you running mostly dirt roads and bunny trails, a tie rod end type adjustable track bar will be OK. If you are planning on some moderate to hard 4wheeling, you should install a double shear adjustable track bar.

I'm a pizza delivery man and this is my dd so am just looking to get by till I can grab a new adjustable track bar and lower control arms. Thanks for the info

If you plan on going with an adjustable why bother drilling?
Align it up and drive it until you can get the track bar.

It's the other way around! Why re-drill when you need a adj trackbar!

I'll wait as long as I'm not at risk of trashing anything on it by driving it that way. I've also got lower control arms on the list and a few other things the kid I got it from messed up.

I'm a pizza delivery man and this is my dd so am just looking to get by till I can grab a new adjustable track bar and lower control arms. Thanks for the info
Why do you need a lifted Jeep to deliver pizzas? Seems illogical. Nonetheless, save for the adjustable. Rough country sells one for like $130. If you average $6 tips then that's like 20ish deliveries.

Learn from others experience, you will be mad at yourself in a few weeks that you drilled your D30 instead of buying what you really wanted (adjustable track bar). We have all been there done that.

I agree you won't hurt anything while saving up those tips for an adjustable trackbar.

If you do redrill it, just keep in mind it's a 10mm hole, if you drill it to 7/16 as I 've seen many do, you will run into the sloppy hole issues mentioned. If drilled properly to 10mm this isn't an issue.

You might be able to save enough to pay for those Jeep mods by buying a cheap beater that's good on gas, that's what I did way back in my pizza delivery days in college. although those $500 gas sippers are harder to come by these days, haha.

I'm not lifting it. I correcting all the crap (including the bad homemade lift) that the previous owner did to it.

LOL I wish I averaged 6 dollars a tip. more like 2-3. People don't tip drivers like they do waiters and waitress' here. Its also not a super high flow pizza place the mileage comes more from the size of my delivery area then the volume of deliveries.

LOL I wish I averaged 6 dollars a tip. more like 2-3. People don't tip drivers like they do waiters and waitress' here. Its also not a super high flow pizza place the mileage comes more from the size of my delivery area then the volume of deliveries.
I feel your pain, I was lucky to see more than a dollar, lol! Of course this was 20 years ago and in a small college town so most of my deliveries were to broke students.

Don't feel too bad, I drive 40-50 miles a day just commuting to work and going to the gym!

or buy another jeep (96 and down xj's are more common in the scrap yards here) swap everything new over to it that will swap then sell the 97

Back