• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a knowledgeable Jeep mechanic in East TN

Tony the Liger

NAXJA Forum User
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this thread, but I'm in the Cumberland Gap area and I'm looking for someone as close as possible who knows their stuff when it comes to Jeeps. Any of you happen have recommendations? Thanks.

Where specifically are you?

I'm in Knoxville and have swapped/rebuilt more than one 4.0

Isn't that about 45 min from where the OP is?

Reply sent. You may want to publicly post what issues you are having and/or parts you need. There is a wealth of knowledge here and a lot of people eager to help.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1142807

I've read over your thread in tech section. My first corse of action would be a compression test of the cylinders and pressure test of the cooling system. One of these should point you in the right direction...but there may be more than one issue. If you are getting combustion gasses in the cooling system it will cause over pressure and lose clamps or weak hoses will start to weep.
As was pointed out in the other thread you could also have subsequent damage to the bottom end, so before you jump into a head swap verify the problem. I've found it easier, cheaper, and quicker sometimes to swap a whole engine. If you can find a wrecked jeep with only body damage you could probably pick it up for around $500.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1142807

I've read over your thread in tech section. My first corse of action would be a compression test of the cylinders and pressure test of the cooling system. One of these should point you in the right direction...but there may be more than one issue. If you are getting combustion gasses in the cooling system it will cause over pressure and lose clamps or weak hoses will start to weep.
As was pointed out in the other thread you could also have subsequent damage to the bottom end, so before you jump into a head swap verify the problem. I've found it easier, cheaper, and quicker sometimes to swap a whole engine. If you can find a wrecked jeep with only body damage you could probably pick it up for around $500.

Not sure if you saw my update to the other thread, but I got the tests done yesterday and discovered that A.) there's no head issue, and B.) the leak seems to be coming from the water pump. They said it isn't leaking from the weep hole, but from where the pump mounts.

I do wonder, though, if a replacement is entirely necessary, or if I just need a new gasket or sealant?

Not sure if you saw my update to the other thread, but I got the tests done yesterday and discovered that A.) there's no head issue, and B.) the leak seems to be coming from the water pump. They said it isn't leaking from the weep hole, but from where the pump mounts.

I do wonder, though, if a replacement is entirely necessary, or if I just need a new gasket or sealant?

I had this happen recently. My pump was leaking and I bought a new pump new gasket and it's good to go. Personally I replaced the pump because I felt it was warped from overheating or something.

I had this happen recently. My pump was leaking and I bought a new pump new gasket and it's good to go. Personally I replaced the pump because I felt it was warped from overheating or something.

Yeah, I'm going to replace the pump just to be safe. And while I've got stuff out of the way, I'm going to go ahead and replace the thermostat, radiator cap, hoses, and probably the fan clutch. I'd like to replace the radiator, too, just to complete the cooling system overhaul, but that'd probably put me over my $200 budget.

Yeah, I'm going to replace the pump just to be safe. And while I've got stuff out of the way, I'm going to go ahead and replace the thermostat, radiator cap, hoses, and probably the fan clutch. I'd like to replace the radiator, too, just to complete the cooling system overhaul, but that'd probably put me over my $200 budget.

I believe you can get a factory radiator from 800 radiator for about $100. That being said after wheeling my xj like I do over the past 10 years I'll never put anything but a copper brass radiator in an xj I plan on keeping ever again. They are expensive but worth it in my opinion.

I believe you can get a factory radiator from 800 radiator for about $100. That being said after wheeling my xj like I do over the past 10 years I'll never put anything but a copper brass radiator in an xj I plan on keeping ever again. They are expensive but worth it in my opinion.

Can you tell me more about this, please? Who makes it, and what are the benefits?

Can you tell me more about this, please? Who makes it, and what are the benefits?

They are about double the aluminum plastic ones. $279 I like it because it's not near as fragile than the aluminum ones. I wheel pretty hard and felt like if I put a hole in this one I'd have a much better chance of doing a trail repair or even pulling it and getting it fixed. There is usually a radiator guy in every town. With the all metal you can use silver solder and not worry about melting the tanks. All Aluminum ones are about the same price or more last time I checked. I've seen so many plastic take fails as I'm sure you have too. Plastic gets brittle with age and heat.

https://www.radiatorexpress.com/pro...6fYJjWd5QjjKhfkl-N-0z98wLzsbVdjBoCmssQAvD_BwE

https://www.summitracing.com/search...model/cherokee/radiator-material/copper-brass

Back