• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

towing ?

konoff1998

NAXJA Forum User
I want to toe doly my rig to the pip gig 250miles from me what I want to know is if I put my tcase in N with an auto trans will it be okay?

I'd put the tranny in neutral as well. I've heard that you should disconnect/remove the rear drive shaft too. Don't know if that's overkill or not.

kujito said:
I'd put the tranny in neutral as well. I've heard that you should disconnect/remove the rear drive shaft too. Don't know if that's overkill or not.
Yes, that is overkill. Removing the driveshaft is from the old days when automatic trannys had a rear pump & the rotating driveshaft caused internal pressure. Putting the tranny in neutral wouldn't hurt. In the unlikely event the t/c goes into gear it would save the tranny.

better search here. The info up there can really screw up your whole day if followed on 90% of all pre 1990 xj's....

Mines a 1988....here's what I posted a while back

I found the owners manual, for my Cherokee falling apart, in the glove box when I bought it back in November of 2007. I carefully went looking for towing information in it, as it is in bad shape (the manual), and found this:

Recreational Towing
(Behind Motorhome, etc.)
Use the following procedure to prepare your vehicle for towing.
Selec-Trac
Caution: It is necessary to follow these steps to be certain that the transfer case is fully in N (Neutral) before recreational towing to prevent damage to internal parts.
1. Shift transmission into N (Neutral).
2. Shift transfer case lever into N (Neutral).
Note: The FULL TIME light will stay on.
3. Shift transmission into D (Drive) and make sure there is no vehicle movement.
4. Turn ignition key to the unlocked OFF position.
5. Shift transmission into P (Park).
WARNING: With the transfer case in N (Neutral) position, the vehicle could roll unexpectedly. The parking brake should always be applied when the driver is not in the vehicle.
6. Attach vehicle to the tow vehicle with tow bar.
Caution: Do not use a bumper mounted clamp-on tow bar on your vehicle. The bumper face bar will be damaged.

Command-Trac
Caution:
It is necessary to follow these steps to be certain that the transfer case is fully in N (Neutral) and that the axle is completely disengaged before recreational towing to prevent damage to internal parts.
1. Shift transfer case to 2H and check that the PART TIME light goes out.
2. Drive vehicle 10 ft. (3 m) rearward and then 10 ft. (3 m) forward to make sure the axle is disengaged.
3. Shift transmission to Neutral.
4. Turn off the engine with the ignition key in the unlocked off position.
5. Shift transfer case lever from 2H to N (Neutral) position.
6. Shift manual transmission into gear or automatic transmission into P (Park)
WARNING: With the transfer case in N (Neutral) position, the vehicle could roll unexpectedly. The parking brake should always be applied when the driver is not in the vehicle.
7. Attach vehicle to the tow vehicle with tow bar.
Caution: Do not use a bumper mounted clamp-on tow bar on your vehicle. The bumper face bar will be damaged.

If they were not meant to be towed, I don’t think there would be a section in the manual titled “Recreational Towing” telling us how to safely do it. In my opinion, Recreational Towing, implies "many" miles of "towing".

It was taken word for word from my owners manual and mine is a 1988 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer.

Hopes this helps

That's EXACTLY what my 87 owners manual says.

Theres is a reason why you tow it with the T-case in Nuetral and the Trans in park. Why? I have no clue.....

I think alot of the info in this thread is misleading because some of it is for flat towing and the OP asked about dolly towing.
I think a good search would come up with more info specifically about dolly towing.
Basically if you have a late 90s or newer XJ you can dolly tow it with the driveshafts connected. If you have an early 90s or older XJ, you have to remove the DS to dolly tow it. At some point around 94-95 they changed the t-case to where it has a "true" neutral in which the front and rear drivelines are not mechanically connected when the tcase is in N. I wish I knew exactly what year the change was but I havent figured that out yet. I know my 96 XJ and my 95 YJ both have a true neutral.
The safest thing to do is put the t-case in N and lift up the rear of your Jeep and see if you can spin the rear driveline without the front one spinning. That will tell you if you have a true neutral.

EDIT: For anyone whos interested, heres a good thread on dolly towing where someone actually compared the differences between years.http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=904810&highlight=dolly+towing

Last edited:
uhhhhh....

My 87 IS true Neutral.

I can spin either end independantly from the other.....

Nuetral is Nuetral, noshafts connected anyhere.

I saw XJ's (of all years) being towed on a dolly all the time when I worked for Safeway fuel. ALL of them were in nuetral t-case AND has drivelines in place.

So please review your facts. Or go and ask a Mopar dealer, they should have the answers.

Theres is a reason why you tow it with the T-case in Nuetral and the Trans in park. Why? I have no clue.....
======================================================
Yes, (((SOMETIMES))) torque still gets to the trany by drag on parts. and will spin the output shaft of trany if trany is in neutral. Without any lubricant being supplied to the bearing of the output shaft. The bearing will spin dry and burn up. Just like the trany of a 2WD. It would just take longer.
You (((MAY))) get away with the trany in neutral or not.

As for deferent way to flat tow (4WD). Some tcases will not lub unless the input shaft is turning. Some will.
The 300 (flipped or not) will burn up in no time with the drive shaft on UNLESS mod for towing. Ask me how I know
By letting engine run you can flat tow any 2WD with a slush box by putting trany in N. With drive shaft on. NOT legal in some states or on any federal roadway.
Same for almost any 4WD . Engine on, TRANY IN GEAR be it slush box or stick, tcase in nurtal. NOT legal in some states or on any federal roadway.
But this is helpful when you have 2 Jeeps and one driver. Also you get better MPGs by towing one.

Last edited:
poorboy_616 said:
uhhhhh....

My 87 IS true Neutral.

I can spin either end independantly from the other.....

Nuetral is Nuetral, noshafts connected anyhere.

I saw XJ's (of all years) being towed on a dolly all the time when I worked for Safeway fuel. ALL of them were in nuetral t-case AND has drivelines in place.

So please review your facts. Or go and ask a Mopar dealer, they should have the answers.

If this is true, thats interesting.
Honestly I have only taken the word of others on this. All three of my Jeeps (95YJ, 96XJ, 99TJ) all have a true neutral also, but I dont have anything older than 95.
If you get a chance, would you do me a favor? Lift up the rear of your Jeep with the tcase in N and tranny in P and spin the rear DS. The only reason I ask you to double check this is because it goes against what others have said and it goes against what the older owners manuals have said.

Ray H said:
If this is true, thats interesting.
Honestly I have only taken the word of others on this. All three of my Jeeps (95YJ, 96XJ, 99TJ) all have a true neutral also, but I dont have anything older than 95.
If you get a chance, would you do me a favor? Lift up the rear of your Jeep with the tcase in N and tranny in P and spin the rear DS. The only reason I ask you to double check this is because it goes against what others have said and it goes against what the older owners manuals have said.

I have the rear of mine in the air (brake adjustments at the moment) with t-case neutral and trans in park, the rear driveshaft spins freely.......(so does the front shaft too)

badron said:
================================================== ====
Yes, (((SOMETIMES))) torque still gets to the trany by drag on parts. and will spin the output shaft of trany if trany is in neutral. Without any lubricant being supplied to the bearing of the output shaft. The bearing will spin dry and burn up. Just like the trany of a 2WD. It would just take longer.
You (((MAY))) get away with the trany in neutral or not.

As for deferent way to flat tow (4WD). Some tcases will not lub unless the input shaft is turning. Some will.
The 300 (flipped or not) will burn up in no time with the drive shaft on UNLESS mod for towing. Ask me how I know
By letting engine run you can flat tow any 2WD with a slush box by putting trany in N. With drive shaft on. NOT legal in some states or on any federal roadway.
Same for almost any 4WD . Engine on, TRANY IN GEAR be it slush box or stick, tcase in nurtal. NOT legal in some states or on any federal roadway.
But this is helpful when you have 2 Jeeps and one driver. Also you get better MPGs by towing one.

Crap, I forgot about the drag issue between parts..... It makes perfect sense now! Thank you!

Saturn used to make the only modern towable automatic, but I think there are others now.....

You could also plumb a small (battery operated) auxillary trans fluid pump in the cooler line to give the internal bearings some lube while towing an auto.

Last edited:
poorboy_616 said:
I have the rear of mine in the air (brake adjustments at the moment) with t-case neutral and trans in park, the rear driveshaft spins freely.......(so does the front shaft too)
Stupid question number four and five. They arent spinning freely at the same time are they? You havent swapped tcases?

Nope, each has to be spun individualy.....

I did found out one of my "mystery" noises though....

Turns out both my engine mounts and tranny mount are shot......

Back