• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing with an XJ

Nik

NAXJA Forum User
Well I read through a ton of threads and already have a good Idea that needs to be done. I will be towing a 16x8x8 foot enclosed trailer with a racebike, generator, bed, and gear, in the back from time to time over the summer. Trailer is a tandem/torsion with dual axles w/brakes. total curbweight will be around 4000lbs max more like 3500... trailer empty is around 2k-2500 from what I found for specs from Haulmark on the net. I want to get it weighed to know for sure.

I have a fullsize 250 that will mainly do the brunt of the work but short trips to the track(60-80miles) I am hoping the xj will be able to handle it when the truck is not available. I put in a class 3 hitch and am now looking for someone to wire in a 7 plug with a controller. The jeep was not equipped with the tow package so I have nothing back there for lights.

My main concern is braking power... I figured with a controller/trailer brakes and a new vehicle brakes I'd be ok there... next is the swaying factor. Towed a 5500 vehicle (plus other crap) inside the trailer with the truck without a glitch. Friend towed it with his 1500 chevy with 4 bikes and riding in the passenger seat it didn't struggle one bit. I'm just wondering what stability will be like with the Jeep and a total weight of 3500-4000 lbs behind it.

I previously towed a 12 foot open single axle trailer(no brakes) with 3 bikes genie and gear without a problem with my old stock 250kmile XJ(88) approx 3k-3500 lbs weekly. That is all the light towing xj experience I have.

Towed this one around some country roads a bit with one bike in it and beside braking being shitty it was not too bad. Need new extended mirrors though! I will be traveling on I70 east and 25 south around 60mph at night.

Current Vehicle stats:

90xj 2 door
4 inch lift on 32's
40k miles on a recent motor swap out of a 96TJ
2 yo clutch/ 5 spd
Fluids replaced all the way around(Diffs/tranny/motor/brake/radiator)
Closed 3 core radiator swap w new pump
NEW joints all the way around(shaft and axle)
NEW brakes
Add a leafs under the lift springs.
Not sure what gearing it has from the fellow I bought it from but when it had 33's I would be doing approx 67 when speedo said 75(had aftermarket gears in it when I bought it)

I know this is not a recommended situation and figure I'll be in 4th most of the time, but am wondering if this is possible with my current setup. So my question for you guys:

1. Is this safe with brake controller
2. Too much length for such a short vehicle

I have a friend who towed a similar setup14x7x7 with his old ass 6 banger Toyota pickup all last season so I figured why not try it with the xj.

ALSO ANY RECOMMENDATIONS OF WHERE TO TAKE THIS THING TO HAVE IT WIRED FOR LIGHTS/BRAKES LOCALLY IN DENVER???

I'm willing to do it myself and am not too bad at wiring I just want to get it done right the first time around I hate fiddling with electronics when they are f'd up!

Appreciate all your help!!!!

Nik

exact trailer weight empty is at 2450... tongue weight around 210

couple other notes for the jeep

has a aftermarket exhaust and intake.. I know that doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things just noting

I tried to flat tow an XJ with an XJ. every turn it tried to jacknife. if the trailer has its own brakes, or one of those brake things that is part of the tongue, then i would say it would be ok. if it doesnt have brakes, not going to happen

Apostle... was there much sway behind you when doing so? How did your motor power manage? I could see that being a mojor issue with no brakes on the tow vehicle... I was pushed through an intersection once when the electric trailer brakes went out on a 15k total load with my truck... However towing the other trailer described with my old jeep I did not have any issues... I'm wondering how this setup will fair with this trailer?

any others

It should be alright, since you have lower gears than stock.

i tow a 6 x12 w/ a 6` 6' roof trailer,3 dirt bikes,a weekends worth of food/drinks,gear for 3 riders etc. with my 92 xj on a regular, basis. xj has 237,000 miles.

for your specific application,trailer brakes are a must. you will also notice that weight isn`t as much a problem as the wind drag you experience with the trailer. if your xj is in good all around shape,you can tow the load you mentioned but get used to turning 4000 plus rpms when climbing grades or driving into a headwind.

I've towed more then that with my lifted XJ. I pull a 17' camper thats about 4k pounds.

With electric brakes on the camper I can stop the camper no problems at all and the jeep has plenty of pick up to get it moving.

Get a prodigy controller and you'll be fine. Just don't plan on doing 80.

I appreciate all the input... sounds like it'll be ok minus the wind drag and power issue. 4k+ I have only hit that in 3rd going up 70 to eisenhower:wow:...

next question: do you guys use a swaY link setup at all.. I don't want to drop 300 bucks on an anti sway system. I have not been past about 50 with it yet and am not sure if I will have issues.... I do not want to end up like some of those idiots on the highway rolled by their trailer.

Any CO guys know where i COULD TAKE THIS THING TO GET IT WIRED????? in Denver, or is it really that hard and something I could do myself?

Like i said this is a short time ordeal and will not be used consistently

For the brake controller, its cake to wire.. given that you are at least a little bit mechanically inclined.

that is a lot of trailer for an xj, jmho

the wind resistance is going to kill you.

Its about as much as you will want to ever pull with an XJ for sure. I have pulled my old 20 x 8 x8 enclosed trailer (drag bikes) for a few trips with my other bone stock XJ, and it did remarkably well. As long as the trailer brakes areworking properly, and you have a good controller, it should be fine. Just dont be in a big hurry. :D

well after blowing my spider gears up on the way to Vegas i found out there are 4.11's in there... When I get home I'll be wiring up the brake controller and getting a 7plug wired in as well and then see how it goes.... after all the replies I'm starting to feel more confident that she will be able to do it.... just still worried about trailer sway...looked into anti sway systems but I'm not sure if I will end up buying one due to the cost...and the recent diff repair

I tow a 20.5' Sea Ray regularly. I've never weighed it, but based on specs I'm coming in just under 5K when loaded up. Trailer has brakes, but the boat is taller than the jeep. I use a weight distributing hitch which makes a huge difference. Also running 4.10 gears and a tranny cooler. It would be suicide without trailer brakes and weight distribution...

Towing is nothing to take lightly, but properly equipped, driven carefully, and not expecting to set any land speed records, the XJ can certainly tow the 5K that it's rated for.

I towed the biggest trailer that Uhaul carries with my XJ (stock). I think that it was 6x6x12. I towed it from Raleigh, NC to Atlanta, GA three times fully laoded. The first load was the heaviest and it did give me a little trouble wanting to sway. Just try to balance your load evenly. That trailer had the brake thing build into the tounge but I dont think that it helped much. It definately took a little getting used to as far as the braking is concerned (leave plenty of room). Other than that the only other thing that bothered me was how low the rear of the vehicle was riding (crappy oem springs). Since you have a lift then you might not have this problem.

Good info, I'm new to the XJ scene and have to tow a 21 foot boat with mine this summer. It's just a few miles to the launch ramp, but I didn't really know what to expect. My trailer has brakes, but I'm gonna go reeeeeally slow...

Apostle... was there much sway behind you when doing so? How did your motor power manage? I could see that being a mojor issue with no brakes on the tow vehicle... I was pushed through an intersection once when the electric trailer brakes went out on a 15k total load with my truck... However towing the other trailer described with my old jeep I did not have any issues... I'm wondering how this setup will fair with this trailer?

any others

Not alot of sway, but only got up to around 50mph on a straight. it took alot too to get up to that speed. only brakeing and turning corners did i have a problem, and realized this within two miles of hte house. thats how bad it was. having a trailer with brakes, either electric or the one on the tongue of the trailer, and it should be fine.

pulled a loaded 6x12 tandem trailer with a vehicross accross country, did fine, but it had the tongue brake

Well to let you guys know i gave it a try and it wasn't bad at all....had a strong headwind as well...stayed right around 60 barely finding 5th time to time....trailer brakes stop everything perfectly and I found no sway whatsoever...however semis passing were quite a pucker factor with the wind push. The damn trailer is more of a sail than anything... its not bad on flat ground and pulled a lot better than I expected.... anything up a major hill is a bitch however... Overall I'm pleased and I could not imagine trying to do this on a stock gear ratio...it wouldn't happen...

I'd like to get some 31" highway tires to tow with instead of the 33 mudders..help a little bit with power

Back