• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix alternator options...?

DirtyMJ

NAXJA Forum User
So, here's the dice, between the dual E fans, the headlights, the extra lights, my pathetic stereo, and the winch, the 61A alternator is really struggling. The dual batteries make a great band-aid, but a band-aid none the less. Besides, I want to be able to plug my cooler in!

So, what are my options? I'm NOT looking to buy anything NEW. Alternators aren't something I'm nice to, so unless they have a damn good 'trail hazard' warranty, no thanks!

The highest I can find as a stock application is 100 or 105A, depending who's talking. This miiiiiiiiiight work. Either way, I have no luck in the junkyard reading the bosch part numbers to actually identify one.

So, is there any other good candidates? I can/will make new brackets as the who accessory system in the truck is screwed anyways.

136amp came stock on these with the 5.2L or 5.9L. I don't know if it will bolt up to your renix brackets, but it shouldn't be hard to make it work...

• 1997-1998 Dodge B.Series Van
  • 1997-1998 Dodge Dakota
  • 1998 Dodge Durango
  • 1997-1998 Dodge Ram Pickup
  • 1997-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Part # OEM PN:56027913

MogifiedXJ said:
136amp came stock on these with the 5.2L or 5.9L. I don't know if it will bolt up to your renix brackets, but it shouldn't be hard to make it work...

• 1997-1998 Dodge B.Series Van
  • 1997-1998 Dodge Dakota
  • 1998 Dodge Durango
  • 1997-1998 Dodge Ram Pickup
  • 1997-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Part # OEM PN:56027913

Except one small factoid - they used Delcos until 1990, and then switched to the ND (which you're listing) for 1991. None of those will "drop in" to a RENIX XJ...

Not only does the Delco mount differently, the Delco has an internal regulator, and the ND is regulated by the PCM.

"E" for effort, tho...

5-90

5-90 said:
Except one small factoid - they used Delcos until 1990, and then switched to the ND (which you're listing) for 1991. None of those will "drop in" to a RENIX XJ...

Not only does the Delco mount differently, the Delco has an internal regulator, and the ND is regulated by the PCM.

"E" for effort, tho...

5-90
Could he not use the brackets of the later engine or possibly make his own and then run an external regulator???

I'd love to go with a rebuild, but even if I could do it for nearly free, it's no dice.

The problem is that alternators last me 3-4 trips. Depending. Bascially if I can't get it at the pick'n'pull I'm skrewwwed.

Maybe I should learn to rebuild them myself... Ugh.

If alternators are lasting you 3-4 trips you need to do soemthing about it ;)

Perhaps a splash shield over the alternator (I actually did one for the entire engine bay out of a tractor trailer's mudflap).

If you don't care about your ac or your not using it for oba you could move your alternator to the top of your engine like the wranglers and tjs run.

Yeah, well, I plan to. Maybe even run duals. That might actually be the best option.

Either way, I'm not spending money on a fancy alt. because I know it'll get wrecked sooner or later; probably sooner.

That web page said:
Considering the cost of later PCM units, I'd consider switching this one out for a "one-wire" self- energizing unit if you have regulator failure.

Okay, what's a one-wire self energizing alternator? Could it be used in my application?

Yes, you can use a one-wire. They're typically made from Delcos anyhow.

If you're going to try to PnP the thing, why not look for later model GM's that should have high output units (luxury models, Buicks, Olds, and some Caddies) - which should be the same unit?

The problem with converting to the later ND alternator is simple - not only do you need the brackets, but you'll have to add a regulator to the RENIX system, since it doesn't have the PCM regulator like the HO.

Rod's done some oddball jobs anyhow - why not give him a call and see what he can come up with?

5-90

I understand not wanting to waste the money....though it is easier in the long run if you think the 100a will work.

I bought one from autozone...LIFETIME WARRANTY. It blows, I take it in and they hand me another one. Problem solved. Yeah it cost me $100 for it the first time...But after taking it back twice, I feel it paid for itself.

Well, now I've been told that I can run a later model (HO and ZJ) alt if I track down an external regulator from an older chrysler...

Hmm?

Oh, and the local guys don't honor lifetime warranties with me. They know me too well...

Yes, you can run an HO alternator if you get an external regulator and the bracketry. I wouldn't do it unless there was another reason.

I'm going to be running a later model alternator in my Renix rig because I have a Mobi-Arc that's made for the HO alternator; so I'll be having an ND rewound to 200 amps.

Now, do some research.

Find out how much amperage those electric fans use, both on start up and at load. Also run the numbers for your lights (watts * volts = amps, I always run that calculation at 12 volts, the system genearally runs at 14 volts but 12 gives me a margin of error) and if you're using the stereo while using all that stuff find it's amperage use (multimeter, multimeter, multimeter). Don't worry about the winch, you're not going to find an alternator that can put up with it, and you shouldn't be using it that much!

Yeah, well, that's all and good (I could run the numbers, and I will sometime...) but part of the problem is that alternator output is rated as PEAK output, and when I'm bumping along lugging the ol' 4.0 down to 400rpm, it doesn't make anywhere near that much.

I could run a smaller pulley on it, but I don't really think that's the right solution.

Basically, night runs owned me bad with the smaller alternators. And I know the winch draw is irrelevent, that's why I have dual bats. But I like them both to be charged good so at least I can drag myself a fair ways if I hydrolock the 4.0, or blow up the alt. It's a worst case scenario thing.

And startup draw on my E fans isn't relevent, that's what the bats are for.

Also, I have no clue what the ignition, computer, fuel system, etc draws. I just know that as it is, it doesn't work, and therefore I need more juice.

Well blindly selecting an alternator at random isn't the way to go.

You don't want to be underrated. Also - starting amerage counts for wiring purposes, that's why I test it.

And last - why are you lugging the engine down to 400 rpm? That's awfly low...

Back