• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tool boxes... tool boxes... socket boxes....O

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK.... currently I have one BIG HEAVY tool box (heavy cause it's full of stuff) that I will probably be splitting into smaller ones (some of you on Poison Spider might have seen me straining with the damn yellow brick LOL) and my sockets... one set is in a bigger plastic molded case (came like that), then another set is in a fabric type of a deal (Craftsman did some packages like that) and then I got some smaller plastic molded ones and I also have some loose sockets (extras that I bought along the way) and I will be buying some more later on this week (again without the box).

Anyways what I was looking at was the molded craftsman truck boxes. Slim, easy to stow and not too heavy (when you load each one to it's fullest) but..... but....... what about the loose sockets and suck stuff? My yellow toolbox is always with me in the jeep (well almost always) as things come in handy at weirdest times and when they are least expected. Anyways, the yellow beast is full and so packed that things have no room to rattle at all, but....... but....... what about when I move to the truck boxes? (or something similar?) I will want to move my sockets over and not sound like a sleigh during christmas season with all the ringing as I drive. Any thoughts??

Btw, is there maybe a better style box? Is there a molded box maybe that I can buy to stick all my sockets into (kind of like the ones you buy with the sets.... just empty)?? Any thoughts anyone??

I prefer the small canvas pouches like these
5139.jpg

toss them in the back, fill them full of stuff and your set.

Of course....wherever you store them should be secured against rolling.

Rev

I use tool cases similar to the one pictured. I put my sockets on the standard socket holders I got at Sears. Keeps them organized and handy. I have a Contico storage box which holds my tool cases and recovery gear and other crap. That gets strapped down in the cargo area.

RR3

tools2.gif

Rev Den said:
I prefer the small canvas pouches like these
5139.jpg

toss them in the back, fill them full of stuff and your set.

Of course....wherever you store them should be secured against rolling.

Rev

I like this set up, I had a good buddy who use to use bank deposit bags for all his tools. Each held a different set.

mark
orgs mfg

Remi, Remember the guy at the show-n-Shine who had the wooden drawers built in to the back of his rig? He was parked about 2 or 3 Jeeps down from me. That is a kick @$$ idea. I am going to do something like that for mine. There are pictures of it some where on the boards. You saw the gargantuan box I had all of my crap in. Any time I needed something it was at the bottom of the box. PITA.

smaller bags are cool, but those gotta go somewhere don't they?

you wouoldn't wanna get pummled by a bunch of lumpy five pound bags woulda?

I think one ton and mark got to see how narly the tool situation got...what a hassle!

btw, it just occurred to me....

why was I the tool bitch!?

I resign.

Beezil said:
I think one ton and mark got to see how narly the tool situation got...what a hassle!

I resign.

You HAD key word HAD more tools in your jeep than I do in my garage! :D

mark

And pray tell my fine fuzzy friend, where were the tools gonna get held in my junk???????

This situation won't be resolved by the next time we go out, but it will be taken care of by the time Winterfest rolls around.

Lumpy

More boxes

The best set up I have seen is a set of drawers that bolt to the cargo floor. They had full length drawer glides so you could pull it all the way out and get to every last loose socket. It was rather pricey though, I believe in the $400 range. Myself I have a $90 clamshell box that I strap to the cargo floor with some aircraft quick release rings. As a matter of fact I have a few left that you can have for postage.

B, call me tomarrow and remind me to get a picture of it before it gets dark out.

Sean, you're rig is too well built to ever have to carry any tools ever again. I think I'm going to take Mark's advice and narrow my tool kit down to a Leatherman and a swissarmy knife. Anything else I'll ever need I'll reley on my friends.

Well... I have seen ScottMacs shelf, and I have seen the other guy as well. My problem/issue with that is that you can't really take a drawer with you (this is convenient, especially when the other rig that requires tools/parts is about 100 yards away :D), plus that thing probably weight a bit by itself..... so now I started thinking...

what if.... I create a raised floor type of a platform. Something that is about 8" or whavetever amount necesasry that covers the whole floor and it allows access to "compartments" from the top. The compartments would be the size of the tool boxes that I get and some compartments will have rear open for a pull out access. This whole thing would be made out of aluminum and it would have many legs on the bottom to allow load placement on top (as in spare tire ?? although when I go to 33" I think the spare will have to go outside).......

Wooden drawers

I'm the guy with the wooden drawers at the Show and shine.
I have about 200$ in the whole thing including good quality carpet. The unit is about 8" tall, about the same height as the top of the rear wheel wells. It's built in two sections so I can take the front unit out and pt the back seat in if I want to and leave the drawers in behind the seat. The drawers are about 18" wide and 24" long and 6" deep and pull completly out with HD drawer tracks. The front unit has a lift door just inside each back door with lots of secured storage where the back seat would normally be. I plan to put a second battery and air tank under one side soon. I still have plenty of room in the back for luggage and camping junk. The whole unit is bolted to the floor and should do ok if you got tire up. When you look in the back you see nothing but carpet so no one is tempted to break in for the tools, I hope. I really didn't make any plans, I just started measuring and cutting and ended up with what I have. It took about two 8-10 hour days to complete.

Drawers

Walt, I didn't make it to Moab (thanks to UAL for laying me off that week) and would like to see your drawers (not those, the ones in your XJ). Would they get in the way of my son laying down the seat and fitting his bike in there?

Last edited:
I've got the same questions..right now, just have the big rubbermaid box that is so full of crap my face gets that nice purple color when I move it. I'd like to get something bolted down, that (yeah right) doesn't completely get in the way..holds enough tools to be worthwhile, isn't a thief magnet..AND..doesn't cost an arm and a leg.. I know there's commercial plated boxes available..but they're kinda pricey unless I'm just not looking at the right catalogs..
And while we're on the idea..and knowing whatever you don't bring is what you'll need..is there a list somewhere of 'bring these tools/items, to be able to get home again?
Other than the NAXJA list of trail gear and such.

Getting back to Kejtar's original question, what about just mounting your loose sockets on some of those socket strips? Keeps 'em in order and makes it easy to move 'em from one box to another.

Eagle said:
Getting back to Kejtar's original question, what about just mounting your loose sockets on some of those socket strips? Keeps 'em in order and makes it easy to move 'em from one box to another.
I just went to a different sears and I have found what I Was looking for... its a BIG blow case that stores sockets. It's kind of like something that comes with their 150+ kits.. but it's sockets only with a small "compartment" spot to throw other stuff in.... it's normally $19.99 and it. And on top of everything it had a defect..... 3 of those nipples that hold the sockets didn't get "blown" so I got it fot $10.00. They also had a smaller unit for $13.99 but I decided that I might as well get the one that takes more sizes and has more room :D

I also picked up two of the smaller types of their truck style boxes ($5 each) and I will start moving things around one of these nights (actually I will load up the socket thing probably tonight :D) and see how the rest of the tools splits up..... I am thinking about splitting them up kind of by category as in: electrical stuff, cutting stuff like saws and knives and so on....

winterfest dialogue:

oneton: hey B, did you bring a......
Beezil: NOPE!

oneton: hey B, did you bring some...
Beezil: NOPE!

one ton: hey B, where's the pair of....
Beezil: Nope!

one ton: what the fawk! did you bring anyth.....?
Beezil: Nope!

Back