• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sonuvva...

The shop thinks they found the source of metal, indeed deep inside the ARB locker:

ARBvsAxleShaft1OPT.jpg

Another view:

ARBvsAxleShaft4OPT.jpg

Somehow this is getting too friendly with that center ring:

ARBvsAxleShaft6OPT.jpg

These alloy axles must be substantially harder than that part of the ARB.

Unlikely to be the source of the noise I am trying to track down though. Bearings and gears all look fine. They show that they have some miles on them, but nothing out of the ordinary or problematic.

They think they will have this all back together on Monday. I expect I will still be looking for yet another problem.

Last edited:
I toyed with that idea, but I think it would become a trap for dirt, water, mud and then rust from the inside out.

When I do my WJ conversion I will give serious thought to an aftermarket upgrade. I have a couple of pieces on hand for that purpose for my original axle which suffers from a loose UCA bushing.

It looks like I should build myself a fixture and take care of both axles at once.
Leave a small gap at the bottom. You will be ablesto clear out most anything that gets stuck.

Leave a small gap at the bottom. You will be ablesto clear out most anything that gets stuck.

Or just plunge in 2/4" or so with a grinding wheel. Stop your bead either side of the notch and you're good to go.

Confirmation that I won't be making it to AAT:

Next step:

NP231ReAssembly208OPT.jpg

Gee...

NP231ReAssembly211OPT.jpg

They will even fit like this:

NP231ReAssembly214OPT.jpg

Big sigh...

So close...

I checked through the rest of the steps and I am also missing the plug that goes in the new seal housing. Someone slipped a few cogs when they packed this order.

Maybe next weekend I can put it all together.

That is the solution of last resort.

But I am getting much closer to adopting that solution.

A good amp and headphones will fix most anything short of a dead battery.

Beautiful day for getting some work done. Nice and overcast.

Took another run at the UCA with the right tools. I think this will do the job:

D30UCAWelded2OPT.jpg

But then I decided to open up the pumpkin. I found all this in my gear oil:

D30MetalInDiff1OPT.jpg

There were a couple of pieces of yellow metal too. Many of those pieces are so thin they look like flakes of chrome plating, but others are on the order of 0.040" to 0.060" thick, like pieces of thread off the end of a bolt. There is no evidence of missing pieces off the gears themselves. I suspect these are pieces out of the ARB locker, somewhere deep inside.

Yippee.

The rear axle seals are still leaking after the clearing out of the vent. I will be taking the Jeep back to the shop that built the rear end and asking them to tear into the front axle too.

Dadgummit.
That axle has really been sending the mail, huh

your control arm bracket is precisely why i don't run a 4 link.

Have I ever mentioned that I don't like Riv-Nuts?

Apparently they don't like me either.

I spent the better part of an hour duking it out with two of them this afternoon.

And of course the most difficult one would have to be the hardest to access, right under the bracket for the shifter for my locker.

This is as close as I got to a victory:

RivNutOpt.jpg

I will have to get a Varmint to help so I can put a nut on the bottom. I ran out of daylight before I could get things all the way back together. It is just that one bolt that I still need to get to.

Grumble grumble grumble...

I should buy a lottery ticket: My Jeep fixed itself.

I think it has been long enough that I should measure the time in years rather than months that my "Low Washer Fluid" light has been on. I once tried filling the reservoir. Within a couple of days it had most all leaked out and the light was on once again. I haven't done anything about it since.

Well, the light is gone. No longer do I have an orange warning light over there. WooHoo!! My Jeep fixed itself.

party1:

(Yes. I know. The bulb has burned out. I am still calling this a victory. Gotta find 'em where I can.)

The Family Truckster (Suburban) had a windshield washer fluid leak so I bought a new reservoir. As I removed the old one I found that the lead was actually in the pump for the rear washers, the reservoir was fine. Fortunately for me the only reservoir I found came with new pumps.

That may be very helpful information. My '02 Suburban also has the low washer fluid problem. Like the XJ, I haven't bothered to do anything about it. Unlike the XJ it hasn't fixed itself, and making the warning go away requires disabling the entire warning panel.

If all I need to do is replace a pump I might actually look into fixing it.

I have my old reservoir, and if you have the rear window washer I think they are the same part for my '06 and your '02, at least rockauto.com shows them as the same part number. I'll try to set it aside and deliver or parts train it to you. Also, one of the pumps (I think the front) is still good, so I can bring/send that as well.

Thank you Peter.

I don't have the rear washer. I have cargo doors, so no rear wiper or washer.

That said, I doubt it would make any real difference. My guess at any difference would be a matter of having holes for one pump or two. I can't imagine that plugging a second hole would be that much trouble, though I don't know how GM set up their pumps. If it is the same sort of thing as Jeep did then I can simply turn a plug that fits the grommet. Alternatively, a second pump should work as a plug.

Parts train via the holiday party perhaps? I won't be there, but if someone else from San Diego can pick them up that should get them within striking distance.

Thank you again.

Peter, I'll grab the parts for Tom, I should still be at the party when you come wandering through...

But I don't think I want to watch Tom plug a second hole, haha...so I'll just drop the stuff off with him and run

Peter, I'll grab the parts for Tom, I should still be at the party when you come wandering through...

But I don't think I want to watch Tom plug a second hole, haha...so I'll just drop the stuff off with him and run

I have the parts in a box in the 'Bourbon. I am sure you can stay, you watched me clean the crud out of Andy's shaft hole.

I think seeing that was once was quite enough for this lifetime...besides being one of those things that cannot be UNseen afterward...

I have the parts in a box in the 'Bourbon. I am sure you can stay, you watched me clean the crud out of Andy's shaft hole.

OK, necrophilia is going a bit far even for me.

Well, he is "Bent" after all.

Question is, does he have a copy of "A Rose for Miss Emily" on the shelf?

Back