• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lennox metal max discs

They are good for scoring prior to going at plate steel with a normal abrasive cutoff disc. They cut thinner material (<1/8") ok but are much slower than other discs. They work well for cutting in tight quarters where a face full of sparks is not a good thing. Still slow.

I just picked up the Home Depot version but haven't used it yet. It has more leading edges so there may be an increase in performance. Still not as many as found on the Pearl brand model. As with most any diamond abrasive they tend to cut better after you have used them for a while.

Just tried the Home Depot (RIDGID) brand. Though I think the tolerances are tighter on the Lennox the RIDGID seems to cut more aggressively. We're not talking butter by any stretch of the imagination, but definitely easy to notice.

IMO the diamond wheel is worth the price of admission. They are not a replacement for regular bonded abrasive cutoff wheels but they shine in enough areas to be worth it. When I bought my first one I almost took it back. Don't expect to be blown away.

Definitely RIDGID over Lennox; I would expect the one by Pearl to be better still but not keen on the $25 price tag.

EDIT: I am using a 7.5 amp, 4.5" grinder. I think a 10 amp would work better.

Last edited:
do you have a link ? I am still riding out like the 300 clearanced cut offs (.49$ each) that I bought from one our vendors on here years ago , they last way longer than most home depot discs, but they are just cheap cut offs.

I've found that the HF wheels hold up as well as the Norton's I had on hand when I started this project. I'm sure there are better out there but, well...you know it is.

Home Depot Link

Update:
I've used the 4-1/2" RIDGID (~$13) wheel for a while now and have come to this opinion: do not waste your money on the Lenox wheel. The RIDGID wheel is orders of magnitude better at cutting and scoring. I am actually quite impressed with its performance.

I have not used it long enough to wear it out as I did the Lenox. Looking at the greater quantity of diamond coating on the RIDGID I don't think there will be any issues. Especially when you consider they are essentially the same price.

When this wheel gives up the ghost I'm going to give the Pearl wheel (~$26) a try. At essentially twice the price it had better kick a$$.

Like I said before these wheels I've used so far are not a replacement for the 40 grit carborundum type abrasive wheels. The RIDGID brand are however worth the price of admission.

Back