• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hybrid Cage Build With passengers in Mind!

twinhauler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So I have ventured into building my Hybrid cage for the TwinHauler. I am Gearing this for the safety for myself and for my Passengers of course. Roof Halo will also be used for atleast 2 miltary duffle bags on trips.I am building with 1.5inch .120 wall DOM and Hrew.Inside B pillars will have seat belt bar and 1 or 2 diagonal up bars. C pillar Up bars will have crossbar at top of rear seat area.C Up Bar will have diagonal from inside roof down to D pillar floor tie in plate. Been Working on it little by little and first started on the C pillar wheelwell plate and the D pillar Floor Plate.C Pillar will be mounted right at curve of wheelwell to maximize storage for totes and Stuff.

Roof holes and how to seal them and how to make them not crack the roof seems like a issue with these. So I wanted to use plates on roof so the down bars will be welded to plates and plates bolted to roof. So I wanted to use the strength of roof area best as i could. So B pillar bars are going thru center of inner roof cross support and plates will bolt to that. This seems like the the best way, only time will tell because i am not done yet. C pillar bars are close to inner roof support and 2 bolts will go thru cross brace. I am hoping this will help with flex,and roof sealing.

So been working on the Halo and Crossbars, it seems pretty close to being good to weld up. I need to finish the A Pillar bars to see where they line up on halo. Then I can finish up the roof diagonal to fit in the best spot on opposite side of where A pillar ties in. Hopefully Next week I can get that worked out and get the Halo all welded up. I Need to Monstarline the roof white before I put this on for good.

Looking good ! I like it!

So This weds i finished up the cowl area gussets. I wanted to be able to weld the A pillar to upper cowl, lower cowl and the rocker. Funny, I feel Like I am building this cage from bottom up with all the gussets plates and such. But I know where I want to tie everything in and have the extra support where it might be Tough to do after its all welded up. Also we all know it can be a pain welding to this this unibody! I just Hope it all lines up later. I know the roof plates might give me issues but those bars will almost be perfectly vertical so i can lift up thru roof a few inches and finish welding. I am Hoping By March 2015 it will be all welded up.

Drool!! I like your idea for tying it into the front at the a pillar. Super clean.

Great work man

looks great.
i am still debating the roof halo like yours vs one bar up from slider, a pillar, & down roof rail. (hope that makes sense)

Thanks for all the great comments. I have a few more pics and hopefully resized them better. I Have a few more pics for now until next week. As we all know adult passenger can sit comfortably in the rear seats in our XJ's. But if you add a Cage with seat belt bar this might require magic powers to get in and out. So I focussed on B pillar Bar to hit floor far forward and to the outside as possible. If that B pillar Bar sit back it blocks your ability to turn your foot from under seat and get the Frick Out as a passenger. Also have to be aware of height of seat belt bar to clear adult Knees. Also I dont want a Monkey cage that would limit my ability to get my kids out in a hurry if ever needed to. Trying to think ahead as much as possible. Safety and functionability!

few pics from halo crossbars before i got all tacked up...

That is freaking amazing! Great work!
When should I drop mine off?

Great looking hybrid. Can't wait to see the finished product.

So I was able to get a lot done on sunday and monday. I monstaliner the whole roof white. That stuff goes on really good, but smell is strong. I was able to get all the halo welded up and painted. Monday, Got the halo on and all down bars notched good and welded them up. Had to then tack roof plates and lift halo back up and weld rood plates to tube. Its on but not welded to floor yet, with only B pillar and C pillars welded. I have one A Pillar ready, so by the end of this week maybe I will have it welded to the floor and rockers. Its been a lot of hours making it fit good but should work out great.

Damn that looks so good> I am super impressed.

Well thanks for the great comments! I was able to get the B floor plates in and Welded B pillars and C pillars to the Jeep. I have pics of B floor Plates. They are not done, will be adding another bolt and going to 3/8 size bolts. Need to fab up underside floor plates that will tie to ruff stuff stiffy on the edge and also a diagonal tube down to lower part of frame rail. My B bars are forward of door opening and very far outside so I can still get my size 12 shoe out of the back.
Got A pillars in, very happy with the fit. Welded bar to upper cowl plate the added upper cowl gusset, lower cowl gusset. My rocker did need to be extended by about 3/8 inch, will be trimming the extension after i tie that area with diag down bar to frame in that area. All ready have 3 frame tie ins on rocker but want another right under/next to A pillar bar. Looks Great with some Semi gloss black... Oh Yes

Back