• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

I see and understand the frustration with how quiet the forum has been lately. I'd respectfully ask what it would take, since this is first and foremost a "pay" club, to see more names in red. I ask this respectfully, and please (no harm, no foul), I do want to hear honest and serious answers and/or suggestions. We need real feedback in order to make things work!
Rich

I see and understand the frustration with how quiet the forum has been lately. I'd respectfully ask what it would take, since this is first and foremost a "pay" club, to see more names in red. I ask this respectfully, and please (no harm, no foul), I do want to hear honest and serious answers and/or suggestions. We need real feedback in order to make things work!
Rich

Honest? It aint gonna happen. XJ popularity is dropping and its going to settle into a community of people who are more into collecting/preserving the trucks and doing mild builds and maybe even semi-restorations. They're all turning to 250k+ mile rot boxes on this coast, and prices for low mile rust free examples are climbing across the board so the amount of beater rigs will slowly decline. I can see forum activity stabilizing but I'd be serious amount of money that I don't have that this chapter (and NAXJA as a whole) will never see the popularity it once had ever again.

Honest? It aint gonna happen. XJ popularity is dropping and its going to settle into a community of people who are more into collecting/preserving the trucks and doing mild builds and maybe even semi-restorations. They're all turning to 250k+ mile rot boxes on this coast, and prices for low mile rust free examples are climbing across the board so the amount of beater rigs will slowly decline. Nice ones are selling for $7-9k on bring a trailer. I can see forum activity stabilizing but I'd bet serious amount of money that I don't have that this chapter (and NAXJA as a whole) will never see the popularity it once had ever again.

I've said it elsewhere, but I think it bears repeating. I'd rather have quality or quantity. I look at the drama on Farcebook, and the lack of drama here, and it makes me happy.

Would I love to see more Red letters? Absolutely! I am the treasurer, after all. But I also like the lack of drama over the last few years.

The east coast is a bit problematic - rust buckets, and minimal public land to wheel. But, this club has the capability of also supporting private land, and for that, we need Red letter members in order to donate and to keep the lights on.

For the greater good, I'd like to see more members. The question, is how to entice folks to cough up (a measly) $35 a year. Less than a tank of gas to support something I feel is very worthwhile.

David Bricker / SYR

Wheel of Progress: Be replaced or reinvent yourself as your own replacement. NAXJA needs a reckoning / repurposing away from just being a forum-centered club. If NAXJA wants to stay a club primarily then it needs to embrace FB and other popular channels / mechanisms and reduce the dependancy on the forum in particular. Look for ways to make NAXJA relevant on a long-term basis (events, a Jeep parts Wiki (!), etc). Moving away from XJ-specific was a good step, given that the pool is shrinking. Let the forums fill the small niche but no longer the focus.

Last edited:
Good input all! I think the niche aspect of the forum tends to help weed out the knuckleheads more quickly than a free social site like facebook, but in the same vein it's as Eric mentioned evolve or die by a thousand cuts.
As to drama, hey, I've been involved in some by my own right, and I don't mind a heated back and forth once in a while, even with a non-member. I still respect the fact they bothered to post here and make their voice heard, for good or bad! That's my take on it anyway.
I understand why my asking about the feasibility of a chapter split was not well received or commented on much. I also don't understand that, either. If autonomy and success in attracting paying members is the goal for the club as a whole, I see little to lose by at least discussing it. However, I accept that I am only one voice among many, my duty is to follow the wishes of everyone, or at the very least the majority.

And yeah I get it. That's a dead horse but I'm beating it until it's pulverized enough for the dog food company to come and get it. Maybe Purina will buy what I'm selling.��

The east coast is a bit problematic - rust buckets, and minimal public land to wheel. But, this club has the capability of also supporting private land, and for that, we need Red letter members in order to donate and to keep the lights on.

For the greater good, I'd like to see more members. The question, is how to entice folks to cough up (a measly) $35 a year. Less than a tank of gas to support something I feel is very worthwhile.

David Bricker / SYR

I think Adam mostly hit the nail on the head. XJ owners are gonna die way down. I admittedly come here to see if some super cheap deal on a mint XJ is gonna pop up that I just simply can't pass up, but there's no such thing as an XJ worth owning for me anymore. Not when I could simply own something better or cooler.

Now that this community is pretty much dead I almost never come here to check out this forum that I used to be on all day. I stuck around for awhile after to just talk to the friends I made in here but most are gone and don't check it either. If I every get back into the offroad world and want to donate to the causes you brought up, I don't need Naxja to help me do that. Keeping Naxja alive just isn't worth it for the nostalgia alone.

I've uncharacteristically in the past couple years tried to see if the old group would get back together for a meet up. It pretty much fell through with only a few actually showing up. I think at least this chapter for the New England side of things is dead.

Not to mention, if Naxja dies, then so to does every stupid post I ever made in this thread and that's probably for the best.

This place was cool, then all the cool kids left

That's why I'm asking for ideas and or suggestions as to how to get any of them back. Rob, I hope you know already I'm neutral as I can be. I'm asking in an honest capacity and you more than most could help with advice on this subject, for sure. The new England end of things was a good bit of the lifeblood of this forum for some time. Is what I've said basically a lost cause or are there enough interested people left to form a viable northern BOD? Or has the whole thing been something that burned hot but not long? Again, brutal honesty is fine with me, and a pm or back channel discussion is fine. I know that there are a lot of great people up there who still love to wheel, and getting everyone back on the same page is kind of my job. So, I'm asking.

Back