• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snow wheeling, where?

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I'm looking for recommendations on where to snow wheel. Nothing crazy but still fun, I've never ventured snow wheeling much, but use like to know where we can jeep in this season.

99 3.5" 33s 4.56 arb auto

Thanks guys

I found some snow on Rock Creek yesterday. About a foot deep on most of the trail and a pure sheet of ice underneath. I probably only made it about 1/2 way up and then my ZipLocker started blowing air out through the diff vent. After that I was making no progress busting trail so we turned around. I still need to pull the cover off and see what happened.

WkkxH4Y.jpg

We hit Iron Clads prior to that and there was almost no snow there.
ew7jSk0.jpg

I've found chains to be hit or miss when I've used them. They don't really do anything for really deep snow, but they do help a lot when its icy. It just depends on the situation, they aren't an end all fix but they have their uses. Unfortunately on my rig I don't have the clearance for them. Maybe up front, but my rear tires barely clear the rear fenders as it is. I'd be seriously risking some chain to fender interaction.

Interesting you say that. I usually only put them on the front if I have to. Only one time I've had all 4 chained but that was to pull I big muddy climb with like 7 people in the Jeep to make it to a hunting spot. But I've found they really do best on the kinda hard pack snow where they can really bite like you said. Seems once your in snow deeper than the frame not much is gonna pull ya through.

I'm currently working in Rochester, NY. I get all the snow wheeling I want, just getting to work every day.

Back