• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.3 swap

the GM transfer cases use 6 bolt pattern but it is not the same pattern like Jeep TC. You just need a adapter and other input shaft to match the Jeep TC to GM trans. I and some guys from here use the NP231J behind 4L60E without problems.

I would suggest beefing the NP231 (6 planetery gears, thicker chain) or use the GM NP231C (has already thicker chainh..) or NV241 TC.

I switched the input shaft from NV246 (originaly behind 4L60) and the planetary set
IMG_0484.JPG

Its not what trans its behind....its the 6.0 which is a seriously torquey motor. Driven cautiously the 231 will be fine. With the upgraded planetary, chain, etc, it will be better, but in my opinion whats the sense of going big on the motor if every time you hammer down you are worried about the weak link which is the transfer case. Axles can always be upgraded later as money allows or if you break them without disturbing the rest of the drivetrain, but since the transfer case requires custom adapters, mounts, cross members, upgraded parts, shift linkages, etc to install why not start with a stronger case the first time and do it once? Again...just my opinion. Everyone's needs, budget, expectations, etc will vary.

I think they're tougher than some give them credit for. I've seen a few 231 failures but it was always a result from an impact from a rock or stump or the like. I rebuilt mine but never upgraded the planetaries or chain I guess I'll see how long it holds up. Ultimately I'd like to run a flipped 300

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I think they're tougher than some give them credit for.
23k miles on mine mated to my 5.3 with 4l60e. Zero issues, only running 3 planetary gears. I am pretty, actually extremely rough on it. WOT on accel pretty much anytime I can. I do have a slip eliminator kit on it, thats pretty much it.

Couple pics of the shit box itself. Home made bumpers, full unibody stiffeners, 100% new custom floor pans, Dakota bastard pack rear, front stock coil ACOS, iron man short arms, Durango box ZJ tie rod, 231 SYE with a Novak cable shifter, ARB on board air, crappy 27 spline 8.25 with a limited slip and open hp30. Fun little mild built Jeep
b6b668a602b55654759413863628bdd5.jpg
fda359ca932d70ca07d42c399ae53bed.jpg

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Did you change you driveshaft lengths at all?

Back