• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33 12.50 r15 question

Shep614

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, somewhat new to the jeep world. I have a 96 5spd xj, 3 inch lift cut fenders with rear locker. At the moment it has 33 10.50s balled lol but they never rubbed, i found a good deal on a set of 33 12.50s. My question is will they rub on the inside while turning. Spacers come with them but they are not the ones with the interior ring lip that goes on the hub so if possible id rather not use them if i don't need to. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Are you running stock wheels? Or aftermarket. Whats the backspacing? Stock control arms?

lot of variables here.

Wheel spacer are not hub centering i assume is what you mean, but still center off the lug nut seats. Id run them.

Last edited:
On my 2001 XJ, I run 33 X 10.50s, on 8 X 15 - 4" BS rims, and they fit inside the rear raised fenders, just missing the inner and outer fenders.
I have tried 33 X 12.50s, borrowed from friends Jeeps, and they will hit either the inner or outer rear fender, depending on the wheels's backspacing.

The 10.50s are at the sweet spot and seem to be a good compromise for wide range of terrain and street use.

I have the stock alloy wheels with KM2 33x10.50R15. They rub on the control arms at full lock, and chew on the flares a bit if I turn it and flex just right (also need to do bumpstops) I think if I got wheels with a lil more backspacing id be perfect

I have the stock alloy wheels with KM2 33x10.50R15. They rub on the control arms at full lock, and chew on the flares a bit if I turn it and flex just right (also need to do bumpstops) I think if I got wheels with a lil more backspacing id be perfect

How much lift ?

If you go with more backspacing, you will hit the control arms even worse, but may clear the flares better.

I've been running 33x13.50/15s on 10" rims w/4.75 bs. They will rub on things every now and then but not as much as one might think.

I run 315/75 on a 16x8 with 4.25” backspacing. Rubs a slight bit at full lock. I also have tube control arms.

Less back spacing will cure your rubbing in the front. Rear you need to limit with a bumpstop to give you proper clearance.

Less back spacing will cure your rubbing in the front. Rear you need to limit with a bumpstop to give you proper clearance.
This is true but not a one size fits all solution. The width of the tire in relation to the width of the rim has to be taken into account. A 12.50 tire is going to need more back spacing than a 10.50 will when mounted on the same rim. The solution that the math provides, though, may not be ideal for real world application, but it's a start. Clearance ideals for say pre-running, are going to differ than that of rock crawling.

I agree. Given the info provided and wanting to run the 12.50 with supplied wheel spacer given even if its 1.25" would clear the area he is concerned with it would work.

But what you said is true.

I also run 35s with 3" of lift. Its all is what you want the end result to be.

So wound up getting 31 10.50 kelly safari tlr. They seem pretty good from the reviews so we shall see. Thanks everyone for the info

Back