• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another XJ on Superduty axles

Chino the filipino

NAXJA Forum User
I got my xj a few years back. When I bought it it had a 3" lift, 32" KM2s, SYE and ARBs front and rear. Best of all, I got it for $1900! It was a fun jeep. I added some lights and built a roof rack.

Well I soon found out that 32s just weren't big enough for the terrain I was wheeling so I ordered up some 5.5 springs, drop brackets and traded my 32s for a set of 35s. Wheeled it like that for a while until again, the holes and rocks I was playing on were just too big lol I sold my roof rack (made my xj pretty too heavy) and picked up a set of 38 TSL SXs. Awesome tire but as I'm sure you all know, my axles and u joint weren't happy. I found a D60 and a Sterling 10.5 for $500 and jumped on it. Sadly, my pretty much brand new 38x12.50R15 would fit on these axles because of rim size. Sold my tires, lift and stock axles (with arbs) to a buddy to help fund my axle swap.
c9e609375b8bf6862bff88e23ce3c72e.jpg
08b23216f79df751ba069e29eb6f6878.jpg
4165449d621d6d3b94cb4157523f5955.jpg
fc94493a34f1fd9c9953bc12deca719a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Slid the 60 under the jeep and started mocking up links with some schedule 80 PVC pipe. Looking for about 4-5 inches of stretch and that warranted moving my steering box forward about 2 or 3 inches..
0ad9ab078f43e1ee6b398e89aa4fa808.jpg
de3a7dd87598b3298098afdc8cb36ce9.jpg
3020d3237c6688cbf2cb6b647f7f9f52.jpg

Started plating and had to fab up a new track bar mount. The one I originally bought didn't have enough drop and wasn't offset enough to get my drag link and track bar close in length and parallel so this I what I came up with..
18975e43edf3cdecbace04944658564b.jpg
d722de239df80b92cdb5fadfd03c2622.jpg

Swweeettt! You doing a 3 link in the front.

Nice! Your fab skills are awesome those welds are fn clean. Out of curiostiy why did you go passenger side for the upper? I eventually want to go 3 link on my rig and have heard different points on why peple go driver vs passenger and vis versa.

Thanks man! I went with upper on the passenger side for a few reasons. One there is just more room over there. It's a lot easier to reroute the exhaust a little bit then deal with moving/clocking the transfer case. Also, my crossmember is 2x5 rectangle. If you look at the ends of it in the pics above, I notches them so it would fit higher up into the "framerails". And since I won't be trussing this axle, I wanted the upper arm to land on the axle tube. I just felt better about welding to that rather than the cast steel center lol so ya simply put, it came down to what fit where

Looking good. Is that cross member one you built?

Ya I built it myself. I ended up cutting one side of the upper arm bracket off and integrating it into the flange that bolts to the center section.
c5254f9e1ab07bc77f3788d1e7050d66.jpg

Thanks man! I went with upper on the passenger side for a few reasons. One there is just more room over there. It's a lot easier to reroute the exhaust a little bit then deal with moving/clocking the transfer case. Also, my crossmember is 2x5 rectangle. If you look at the ends of it in the pics above, I notches them so it would fit higher up into the "framerails". And since I won't be trussing this axle, I wanted the upper arm to land on the axle tube. I just felt better about welding to that rather than the cast steel center lol so ya simply put, it came down to what fit where

I've read through a bunch of stuff on here and pirate trying to figure it out. Personally, I think passenger side works better but had some people say driver side because you control pinon angle during droop which didn't make sense because the mount is still on top of the axle.

How much are you stretching the WB?

I really don't think it matters (driver or passenger) as far as pinion adjustment cause technically I would think they would do the same thing regardless of what side the upper is on.. But pirate is pirate.. lol another reason I went passenger is because I'm using 1.25 heim on both ends of the upper with 2 5/8 mounting width misalignment spacers so I physically just didn't want to use up all the space for all that on the drivers side. But I have seen it done!

I'm trying to get 4-5 stretch in the front and I am running full Chevy S-10 leaf springs in the the rear that gave me about 4 inches as well out back. With my stock rear end it just barely cleared the gas tank.. With the Sterling, I'm gonna have to figure something out cause it overlaps the gas tank by about 2 inches now.. I really don't want the gas tank inside the cab so we'll see what I can move to make it work lol

MJ leaf springs are supposed to stretch 3" but I've never tested it. Ford F150 2WD leafs, I have a bastard pack with the F150 main leaf and alcan 6" lift springs, give 3" of stretch and clear my D60 rear.

MJ leaf springs are supposed to stretch 3" but I've never tested it. Ford F150 2WD leafs, I have a bastard pack with the F150 main leaf and alcan 6" lift springs, give 3" of stretch and clear my D60 rear.
Good to know. What size tire are you running? With my 38s and the S10 springs, I did have much clearance at the front of the wheel well

Good to know. What size tire are you running? With my 38s and the S10 springs, I did have much clearance at the front of the wheel well

42'S SXII

Back