• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 window swap to 99 or newer

Tcarsten

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody have any info on doing this
I hate the wing that does nothing in my jeep
I want the whole window to role down

I figured i would have to get the track for the front, but would it swap in??

im in too!! Mine are useless and leak like a seive!

I would think the track and all would bolt in if the door shell is the same , anyone have access to that info?

I am pretty sure the door shell is different and I know the regulator goes in a different spot for the wider glass. The sheetmetal around the area of the mirror and door handle is different, so they probably redesigned the whole inner half of the door shell.

Not 100% sure on this. I'll try and remember to compare when I'm at the junkyard tomorrow morning. I do know that people have put 97-up doors on an MJ before (jp magazine had a writeup on it) and they just had to move the door latch strike post on the door frame a bit, so there is a good possibility you can just swap 97+ doors right onto the rig and gain 97+ mirrors at the same time. Not sure how the interior trim will play with being swapped from a 96-down onto a 97-up door, can always leave the 97-up trim with the caveat that the glovebox will not fully open with the door closed.

EDIT: if you just want to get rid of the vent window you can swap in solid windows there, not as good as eliminating the small window portion entirely but it'll stop the leaking and wind noise at least.

Ah shoot, I figured that would be too easy!

I'm almost tempted to get the entire door and be done with it, then I'd have to splice in the newer switches and all, but they look way better anyhow!

I'm pretty sure you can retrofit the old panel onto a new door, just have to move some stuff and drill some holes I think. I've read somebody did it because they didn't like the hard plastic on the new door.

Im thinking the whole door would be way easier.
I want the inner pannles anyway, and i already have the mirrors(by the way i love them much bigger and even got the power working for them)

Thanks for some info there i have been searching with not much luck

That was my MJ in that JP Magazine writeup. I agree that it would be easier to swap the entire doors than just the glass alone.

We had originally done all the wiring for the power windows and locks, which was a PITA. And for reason, I kept having sporadic problems with the windows and the locks never did work.

I finally converted everything back over to manual windows and locks. I found a 97+ XJ with manual windows in the junkyard. I grabbed the regulators and door panels and completed the swap in a couple of hours.

I don't mind having manual windows. And without the wires, I can take the doors off very easily, since we cut the hinges in half.

Did you have a problem with wind noise after swapping on the 97+ doors? I swapped two 97+ doors onto my 88 MJ, but I have a ton of wind noise at highway speeds now. I have brand new weatherstripping on both door openings, although I think they are spec'd for an 88, not sure if the weatherstrip is different on 97+. I've tried shimming and adjusting the door to make it seal right with no luck.

Back