• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build Thread: 89 MJ aka "The Skorpyon"

Thanks man, hopefully that’ll be sooner than later!

Today we finished bleeding the brakes, greased the front end, installed the track bar and gave the jeep a full one over before taking her for a spin or so we planned.

Unfortunately there’s something wrong with the ebrakes 8.8 so we weren’t able to get her out of the garage. We ran out of time so it’ll be Thursday when we try and dismantle the brakes and find our issue.

By then I’ll also have my driveshaft and SYE kit. Finally have all the parts to finish!

I put in a few hours on the MJ last night. Bob noticed that what we thought was an issue with the e-brakes was actually the rims hitting the caliper on the 8.8. I was glad he noticed it cause I was flummoxed on what it could have been on the brakes as they looked fine.

After figuring that out we started on the SYE install. Pulled the front shaft and yoke, removed the tailhousings, split the case and got the main shaft out. We started setting up the new shaft, but we ran out of time on the evening and left it in that state. I'm pretty sure that if all goes well this weekend we'll get the SYE done, the driveshafts in and the MJ will essentially be done (outside of road testing and tweaking).

I'll need to do an alignment on it. I haven't yet checked my caster but I'm pretty sure I'll need to adjust it some with the lift installed. I'm also pretty sure the toe will have to be adjusted since I swapped in all new steering components.

Well after almost a year the Comanche is back on the road. We took it for a spin and it did great!

There’s a few small items to address but it’s now officially complete in the rebuild phase.

31c9f94936f79c9bff3384c550af7529.jpg

e3fdd84f2aa0b9bf909f8835ff495de7.jpg

I’ll upload more once it’s daylight and she comes home.

Thanks. First order of business after adjusting the ebrakes will be a bath. She’s really dirty from sitting for so long.

Well we backed her out and she’ll definitely need a new battery but in adjusting the ebrakes we managed to do this:

91e81885534f0e6d90d3f6e88ef41298.jpg

55d0ab97309f5d9c8863731b9196ebeb.jpg

It’s kinda fixed but the brakes will need more work. I found a droplet leak on a union that needs tightening but I snapped off a few shots before it got too dark.

207ec2751d91ee36fd1259f284fea314.jpg

a0ac47d9ce9f8d770797edcbc1c8ce2f.jpg

633ca1a8de068f103f71be1e6b58dfc6.jpg

She’ll be ready for a bath and action soon. Now entering the phase of drive it then check everything and repeat.

Awesome! I love it!

Thanks! It's unforutnately been sitting for a while as I've gotten busy and can't bring it home yet. I'm out of space at home with the XJ, DD and wifes vehicle and a half full garage. I need to build a shed to free up some garage space so I can fit 4 vehicles at home haha.

Back