NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Tow Rigs, Trailers, and Other Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Tow Rigs, Trailers, and Other Tech Discussion Have a Tech question NOT related to an XJ or MJ? Have Tow Rig or Trailer questions? This is the place to get help.

Old September 7th, 2017, 14:18
NAXJA Forum User

Re: What are you towing with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Mike View Post
That's understandable. I'm sure you've got a good grasp on what you need to do so you can fit all you need to fit on the trailer. Whichever method you decide to use, just keep it as safe as possible. I know a guy and I won't mention his name (lol) that uses one strap to the front, and one out back, both hooked to the bumpers. A couple times he's showed up to camp and the straps were hanging slightly loose haha. Pretty laid back guy and it actually makes me jealous at times that I can't turn off my "worry mode" like he can. I think since the last time that happened he's added a strap or two. I just think it's funny how stark a difference there can be in attitudes about the subject but we all still make it there, time after time lol.
Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to have a pissing match just seeing if I'm missing something. I'll check out the condition of those factory tie downs and see if they're ok to use. I actually have the right type of hooks on the straps I have for it to work and I could also use the safety chain holes on the rear hitch receiver, in the orientation I mentioned, going forward with the rear straps. Thanks for the advice man!
Old September 7th, 2017, 14:39
NAXJA Forum User

What are you towing with?

Brake lines are a concern. Axle straps, may lessen the concern, but I use "T" hooks which lock securely into slots on frame, (car haulers use same system), then attach my straps to the "T" hook. Hauled my Jeep thousands of miles this way without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 7th, 2017, 15:27
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jeep View Post
Brake lines are a concern. Axle straps, may lessen the concern, but I use "T" hooks which lock securely into slots on frame, (car haulers use same system), then attach my straps to the "T" hook. Hauled my Jeep thousands of miles this way without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AKA "JRT" chains
Old September 7th, 2017, 15:54
Sarge <3 Ben

Simply put, I will never tie a jeep down by its bumpers or body again. I had one bounce hard enough to have the hook fall off...next time I stopped the jeep rearended my truck.

It is far safer to tie by the axles. On the 8.25 (and all others) I have looping straps that go around the tube and hook back to themselves. Just avoid pinching brake lines. I usually put the straps as far inward as possible (against the diff) and cross them to the trailer. Since doing it this way I have never had an issue with the jeep moving, settling, shifting, etc.
88 MJ on 40's. 98 XJ on 35's. 98 Dodge, 52psi of boost. 94 Miata LS4. 70 Buick GS455. 01 Harley, been to 46 states. 05 KTM, 576cc. 06 Husky, girls need bikes too. 2011 R6, girls need sport bikes too. 99 Toyota Avalon, daily. 97 Miata, girls apparently need miatas too.
And everything fits in the garage!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mako my day View Post
Johnx is #1
Old September 7th, 2017, 15:54
NAXJA Member

I spend a lot of time at sea port here in Florida where vehicles are shipped out of the US as well as received into the US from foreign manufactures by the thousands at a time on ships. I could tell you this for certain, on the ships, they are stripped using nylon straps through tow hooks removable or fixed but never chain or cable. The trucks/car haulers that move them into or out of the shipping port strap the tires using (I think) 4" ratchet straps. In my opinion strapping each of the 4 wheels this way is an excellent way to secure a vehicle to a trailer.

Just a FYI.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old September 8th, 2017, 07:18
Member Number 257

What the DOT requires is this:

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulation...s-light-trucks
Old September 8th, 2017, 07:18
NAXJA Forum User

I am trying to get image of a "T" hook to appear.

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/im.../M-TH1_300.jpghttp://http://www.macscustomtiedowns.../M-TH1_300.jpg

Last edited by Little Jeep; September 8th, 2017 at 07:23.
Old September 24th, 2017, 15:18
Three-De Off-Road

I towed with a Hemi Commander this summer for the Crawl and I used axle straps around the front axle and then hooked into the rear tie downs in the frame rail. I had no issues. I used to supervise haulers taking cars off the GM lot and Nissan lot in middle Tennessee and we tied down with t-hooks with no issue.
Dirk DeYoung--Member #176--National Vice President, SEC President
You'll never leave Harlan alive.
1996 ZJ (200GRND)...2001 XJ (TRALRIG)...2013 WKII (SUZIE)...2006 XK (TOW RIG)
Old September 25th, 2017, 19:06
NAXJA Forum User

Picked up a 2017 F-150 XLT Ecoboost, pretty good deal. So far I love it.
Old September 29th, 2017, 11:37
NAXJA Forum User

06 ram 2500 mega cab cummins with a 45' goose neck.. I look stupid towing one jeep on a big trailer.. but that's all I have.