• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Search Engine

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I'm curious if I'm missing something here. There are a few fellows that get really bent out of shape if someone doesn't take the time to do a thourgh search for their tech answer. I almost always search , but sometimes your in a time bind and need quick answers. Why is this such a hot issue to them ?
Can't they just skip it if they think it is a issue they believe needs to have a search put on it ? Searching can turn up tons of crap you have to filter through to get what you want. This is time we could actually be wrenching instead of sitting at the computer getting the keyboard all greasy.
What I'm wondering is it because they feel it clutters up the forums or are they just bored and feel they need to be the Police of the forum ?
Just wondering after reading another one this Morning.
:)

I've said that a few times, but usually I won't just say to do a search, I'll try to give them better search terms. If I know that a really good write up is available that would answer the question or at least help, I try to point it out. Or if something has already been covered to death, why cover it again?

For the most part I do it to try to help. When I post a question, I'm glad if someone can give me a link to another thread or better search terms. I like quick answers as well. Why sit there and wait for someone to reply when all you needed was the correct search terms to get your answers (which takes seconds)? I guess that's my thoughts on it. I hope that explains why I do it.

I'm done..... :gag:

i usually give them the simple answer and tell them to search if they want details or want to know why. yes, it clutters up the forum and it's just plain annoying; ever had a 4 year old ask you the same question over and over and over and over and over.... ? same thing.

boise49ers said:
What I'm wondering is it because they feel it clutters up the forums or are they just bored and feel they need to be the Police of the forum ?
Just wondering after reading another one this Morning.

For my part, I try to give a basic answer with links or references to more/better material. However, there's a Catch-22 present in all of this: the less people use the search and have the same questions asked and answered over and over, the less effective the search is since you end up with more crap to have to wade through in order to get that answer.

On top of that, there're also people who just don't do any research on their own - spoonfeeding is OK in some circumstances but self-reliance is better, particularly where common questions come into play. Having said that, sometimes people do search and still need clarification of the info they come across, which seems pretty reasonable (to me at least).

Finally, as others have pointed out: if you can find an answer by searching in less time than it takes to post a new thread and wait for others to reply, that's more time free for wrenching and wheeling.

And that's my take on it... Others will probably have different views.

boise49ers said:
That makes sense. That is probably why you get tons of crap to filter thru. To many people starting threads for similar problems. Oh well !

Wow, and to think I added in the "has this already been asked?" button..... just to make it easier for those that cannot find the "search" button..............

Back