• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 Rear Wiper inoperative, motor is good, Voltage questions

robertxj

NAXJA Forum User
My 99 rear wiper stopped working early in the winter. I grabbed one from a recycle yard while I was there getting the bushing for the brake proportioning valve. The junkyard part acted the same way. When I turn on the switch the relay (I assume its a relay, because I can't find one anywhere else) clicks intermittently. I sounds like it clicks at the duration the wiper used to swipe. So I figured both motors being the same vintage, had the same sickness. So I ordered a new motor. I believe it's all new vs reman because the wires on the motor are not the same as the original. Either way, that motor acted the same way. After searching many threads on this forum, I found one that called out where there should be what voltage and when. It said coming from connector into hatch (3 wires) 1) should be 12V when switch is on I do have this, 2) should be a ground, and it is, and 3)should be 12v when switch is pressed to wash. I also have this 3rd one.. the only caveat is ; when switch is just in on position, I have ~6V. It switches to 12v when the switch is pressed. If I back probe the connector at the motor, it gets 12v each time the relay clicks. I pulled the motor and hot wired it 12v to constant 12v, ground to ground and intermittent 12v to the lead that gets 12 when told to swipe. When I do this, the motor will run one full cycle each time I put 12V to that lead.
I am assuming there should be ~0V on this wire, but where could I be getting the 6V from. Really want to correct this issue with out a work around. Not sure if I am chasing bad grounds, or is there a relay elsewhere that should be checked...

My 99 rear wiper stopped working early in the winter. I grabbed one from a recycle yard while I was there getting the bushing for the brake proportioning valve. The junkyard part acted the same way. When I turn on the switch the relay (I assume its a relay, because I can't find one anywhere else) clicks intermittently. I sounds like it clicks at the duration the wiper used to swipe. So I figured both motors being the same vintage, had the same sickness. So I ordered a new motor. I believe it's all new vs reman because the wires on the motor are not the same as the original. Either way, that motor acted the same way. After searching many threads on this forum, I found one that called out where there should be what voltage and when. It said coming from connector into hatch (3 wires) 1) should be 12V when switch is on I do have this, 2) should be a ground, and it is, and 3)should be 12v when switch is pressed to wash. I also have this 3rd one.. the only caveat is ; when switch is just in on position, I have ~6V. It switches to 12v when the switch is pressed. If I back probe the connector at the motor, it gets 12v each time the relay clicks. I pulled the motor and hot wired it 12v to constant 12v, ground to ground and intermittent 12v to the lead that gets 12 when told to swipe. When I do this, the motor will run one full cycle each time I put 12V to that lead.
I am assuming there should be ~0V on this wire, but where could I be getting the 6V from. Really want to correct this issue with out a work around. Not sure if I am chasing bad grounds, or is there a relay elsewhere that should be checked...

I replied to the older thread you posted to. Have you looked at the wires where they go through the body to the tailgate? Might just be wires in that run that are cracked/cut that are intermittently working. May be a long shot but really easy to pull that piece of trim and check it out.

I did check there... it was the first thing I saw when I went to take panel off... Thought I hit the lottery because I saw some bad wires. Fixed em up, and still no workie

I did check there... it was the first thing I saw when I went to take panel off... Thought I hit the lottery because I saw some bad wires. Fixed em up, and still no workie

dang... sorry to hear that! I actually re-did all those wires last night (took about 2 and half hours!). I ended up fixing the defroster problem so I guess it was worth it.

Yeah, that's my next step. Just got the new harness to take care of the crappy headlight issue, then pulling apart the trim panels to poke around near the grounds... There other things that kind of steer me that way, but they seem like they be unrelated... But I'm sure many of us have found that ground issues are buggy and random as hell.. Thanks

Back