• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

COFest??

planefixer

NAXJA Forum User
Are we holding the event this year? Trying to loosely plan my Summer travel/wheeling/camping trips and was just wondering if the event is going to happen. :cheers:

Thanks for asking, I was wondering if anyone even cared!

There are no plans, although the Leadville area looks attractive.

What areas of the State do people want to see?

Hope you guys have fun. I don't know if I can make it back for ColoradoFest. I really need a break from working 80 hours a week.

Really hoping this is July 24-28 week. I’m scheduled off so I should make it, even if I’m the traitorous tacoma.

Nope. That’s fine. You ok with a trail list and tentative plan end of first week in may? I have pretty good plan now aside from the Montrose hard trails. Lemme know and I can shoot over rough plan.

Any update here
No.
You’re planning the trip, didn’t you get the memo?
That's not nice. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nope. That’s fine. You ok with a trail list and tentative plan end of first week in may? I have pretty good plan now aside from the Montrose hard trails. Lemme know and I can shoot over rough plan.
Sounds good! After the coming week, I should be able to devote more time to the chapter myself.

Cool. I’m in Moab now and head back to work til beginning of may. Then I can sort out the two days in montrose.

Monday- Tuesday. 2 options.
Ouray trails or montrose trails.
Monday Poughkeepsie. Tuesday black bear to Imogene.
Or two montrose trails those two days. Topless, cactus, etc.
Wednesday start rimrocker. Go 3/4 way. Camp.
Thursday. Finish rimrocker. Get to Moab set up camp and do an easy run/quick run (hells revenge?)
Friday-Sunday. Moab trails. Establish two groups or let folks decide.

My half-assed idea is Montrose to Moab, two days, Moab, one day-Hell's revenge, return rimrocker, two days, Ouray one day, Black Bear. I can live without Imogene again.

I'd say Montrose trails those days (depending on difficulty).

Monday: Local Montrose trails
Tuesday: Local Montrose Days
Wed/Thurs: Rim Rocker
Friday: Moab trails
Saturday: Moab Trails
Sunday: Head Home

If we need to condense it we could do Rimrocker Thurs/Fri and only count Saturday as a full day in Moab. Run a morning trial or just get a big breakfast in town Sunday before heading home. Have Tue and Wed as the beginning local Montrose days so that people can show up either day allowing for work schedules.

Tue/Wed: Local Montrose Trails, get "registered"
Thurs/Fri: Rim Rocker, setup in Moab
Sat: Moab Trails
Sun: Breakfast and depart or Morning trail run and depart after lunch

Either way we'll need to look into campgrounds for both Montrose and Moab.

How bad is Billings Canyon these days? When I ran it on 37's years ago now I felt like an XJ on 35's could do it. Is that still the case?

Edit: I might be thinking of Bangs Canyon instead. We did both of those and 21 Road in 1 weekend so its a bit of a blur. After reading the Trail Damage descriptions I think Bangs Canyon would be the better fit for a NAXJA event. I know its GJ and not Montrose, but its a suggestion.

Last edited:
Aaaaaaand back to the flip flop on all the ideas and times and dates places.

So.
That’s MY plans for what will be doing with myself and a few folks I know.
If you want to join. Great. Want it to be cofest. Great. Want to change and do your own shit. Great.
Here’s a plan. Take it or ****ing leave it. This piddle paddle bullshit is why it’s mid April and nothing has been set up at all yet.

I was merely tossing out the suggestion of shifting it over and shortening by 1 day to make it easier for people to take time off and go. I have Monday's off so I'd be showing up Mon or Tue regardless and just trying to spend more time in the area. Its still 40hrs of leave for me whether I get there Mon or Tues, so whatever. Others have that whole M-F 9-5 thing going on and take vacation by the day and not the hour. I was just thinking of them.

No I hear ya. I get the ideas and stuff. It’s just a little late in the game for that. I’m down to skip the ouray stuff. But the days work for the folks I’m plannin my shindig with so that’s what I’m doing. If naxja makes a thing of it then cool. If not, well cool.

I would keep things to easier trails to be honest.

With things later in the game, things like rimrocker and Hells Revenge would be plenty.

21 Road, Billings, Cactus, etc. are going to be far more than most are going to want to tackle, nor should they try to.

Many of those, I wouldn't want anyone less than 35's locked F&R, experienced, and willing to take body damage on. There's some areas on those trails that can and will swallow a 47" tire (seen first hand :laugh:).

Keeping it light and easy, while still fun wheeling with a little challenge, will be loads better than trails that could easily cause downtime.

Back