• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Impact Wrench Recommendation?

LazersGoPEWPEW

NAXJA Forum User
In the market for a new impact wrench. Have some gift cards to burn at Sears.

Was thinking of this compact model, but not sure if it has the torque. Would be doing suspension work from time to time and making my life in general easier.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF880..._cp_469_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0FBFW2NENEZ3XE3A0VM4

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-impact-driverswrenches-drivers--wrenches-dcf880m2.aspx

I've got a lot of rusted bits underneath.

What do you guys think? Should I go for something with more torque or do you think this will work for the majority of home mechanic jobs. I won't be using this daily, so I'm not certain I need a workhorse.

I've got this one. It works for 95% of what I've used it for. The only knock is that it's heavy. I've had it for 5+ years, and it's still going strong.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002V...alt+impact&dpPl=1&dpID=41dy8fUY+0L&ref=plSrch

I also have this one, that works great for all the small jobs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002RT7K4Q/ref=pd_aw_sim_469_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=10W1FABSPTPYTS34G5WV

Yea, basically looking at the updated versions of those. I really like the idea of a compact one since it will be a lot lighter, but I know the big one will tackle all the tough things I'll probably have to do.

You should check out milwaukee for impacts. That first dewalt only puts out about 150lbs of torque. The current 18v brushless milwaukee that i have puts out 210. And the batteries last forever.

I use my tools for a living and have used many brands over the years. Milwaukee has won me over. Never had a single milwaukee tool fail. The product line is emence as well. I have at least 25 tools between the 12v and 18v lines at use every day. Sorry for the soap box rant. Just my experience.

Basic tools for stuck bolts in suspension usually mean air powered impact, 3/4" drive breaker bars with long pipes, torch, and cutoff tool.

I've managed to get every suspension bolt out of my XJ without any impact wrench, but did need a cutoff tool on the springs.

The impact can be a time saver but is not a requirement.

Souske that m18 looks legit

The 18V tools are good, I've heard nothing bad about the Milwaukee, but the OP wanted to use it on suspension. I'm not sure how long the battery would last on really seized up suspension bolts.

Last edited:
I bought a 50 dollar one at harbor freight in 08 that I'm still using today. Spent 10 bucks on a lifetime warranty so I can replace it if it breaks but thus far it's been great for the occasional uses I have for it

BlondeJohn, I bought mine from the Milwaukee store, and it claimed the 700/1100 lb ratigs on the box, guess I didnt grab the right tool # off the internet after all.

As far as working on stuck suspension bolts, Vanimal asked if I would go to the junkyard with him to pull an 8.8. When we found one, I handed him the impact and he had it out by himself in less than 40 mins.

Also, If there is a Milwaukee store near you, go check them out. Batteries were certified used, and going for a fraction of the new cost.

BlondeJohn, I bought mine from the Milwaukee store, and it claimed the 700/1100 lb ratigs on the box, guess I didnt grab the right tool # off the internet after all.

As far as working on stuck suspension bolts, Vanimal asked if I would go to the junkyard with him to pull an 8.8. When we found one, I handed him the impact and he had it out by himself in less than 40 mins.

Also, If there is a Milwaukee store near you, go check them out. Batteries were certified used, and going for a fraction of the new cost.

Thats what im talking about. Yeah you could use a wrench, and im not knocking it. But if you have the opportunity to get the job done in less time with less effort then why not. Time is money. I love my battery impact so much about the only thing i use anymore that is pnuematic is a blow gun and angle grinder. I go an entire engine and tranny swap on less than one battery. Had mine with me on my last trip to hollister. Had my front shaft swapped in under ten minutes. That included jacking time.

I bought a 50 dollar one at harbor freight in 08 that I'm still using today. Spent 10 bucks on a lifetime warranty so I can replace it if it breaks but thus far it's been great for the occasional uses I have for it

I remember reading about one at HF that was all the rage a few years back. IIRC, they've since changed and aren't as good. That being said, OP needs to go air for suspension.

I ordered one last night with the 2 batteries... 900/1100 forward/nut busting torque is amazing.

Whats the more powerful 3/8" version
the 2655 or the 2654 or the 2658 ?Or the 2754 ? SO many part #s.

Last edited:
I ordered one last night with the 2 batteries... 900/1100 forward/nut busting torque is amazing.

Whats the more powerful 3/8" version
the 2655 or the 2654 or the 2658 ?Or the 2754 ? SO many part #s.

ok ordered the 1/2" impact and the 1/4" impact

I remember reading about one at HF that was all the rage a few years back. IIRC, they've since changed and aren't as good. That being said, OP needs to go air for suspension.

That's a bummer. I'll hang on to this as long as it works

So which Milwaukee m18 fuel still is everyone using ?

Back