• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building an offroad teardrop

flingshot

NAXJA Forum User
Here's what Iamthinking.

I want to be able to take along my Motorcycle. I simply can't goto MOAB or similar places and not have my Jeep AND my bike.
What do you think so far?
103_1086.JPG

5x5x10 so I can put a queen size matress in it and a full 24" countertop in the galley.

If you plan on pulling it over any rough terrain I would keep the COG low and exo cage it. I've seen off-road trailers flip on obstacles and its no fun. I would also consider a "hoop" style hitch instead of a ball

+1 on tongue weight. With the axle that far back and the bike riding up there, you're going to exceed the tongue weight on any hitch designed for our XJs by a good amount.

Thanks guys.
Yep tongue weight is a big concern. The galley in the rear is pretty heavy though and is all behind the wheels.
That with knowing that some guys carry the whole motorcycle on a hitch carrier without trouble tells me that I can come up with something that will work.
I am going to make sure I get an axle with brakes as well. Not so much because of the weight, it won't be that heavy, it would just come in handy offroad.

Yes a pintle hook style would be better for articulation. As well as some heavy duty-ness.

looks good but i would worry about too much toung weight, you might consider a tandem axle set up. you could have a lot of fun with the design don't limit yourself, enjoy. that's my $.02

x3

If you go tandem, you can always use smaller axles EX~ Jetskis, small popups)

What kind of setup do you have on the back of your truck?

You might be better off carrying the motorcycle on the truck suspension than added it to the front of a lightweight trailer frame.

Could you manage to get the bike inside the trailer for travelling and take it out for camp?

just an idea?

Not a bad thought, in fact there are a few out there but on this one the kitchen is in the back. You access it by opening up the rear hatch.
I would have to make it to where the kitchen comes out or do without one. Definately an option though. Maybe I could make a v nose trailer?????
Here is a pic of a silmilar trailer taken from www.outbackteardrop.com
tt27.jpg

I've got a pintel hook on the trailer I use for camping, when you move around inside the trailer the hitch is pretty loud and annoying as it bangs around. It can shift the trailer an inch or two as well. If you are going to use a pintle hook make sure to have a way to stabilize it or it will drive you nuts. I usually just put the tounge jack down and lift it up until it is at the top of the hook.

I've got a pintel hook on the trailer I use for camping, when you move around inside the trailer the hitch is pretty loud and annoying as it bangs around. It can shift the trailer an inch or two as well. If you are going to use a pintle hook make sure to have a way to stabilize it or it will drive you nuts. I usually just put the tounge jack down and lift it up until it is at the top of the hook.

I've always thought of a two-piece nylon insert that goes in the truck side of the pintel hook hitch. keeping the ring from slapping around. it could even be greasable

Im subscribing to this one. I just picked up a tear drop that im going to start tearing into once my jeep is off the jack stands

Back