• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MOAB newbie

SAMSET

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
this being a large event, im sure there will be plenty of folks that have never been to MOAB that want to come prepared. lets use this thread for newbies to ask questions and vets to answer.

1st big question.
my wife is the 'jump out the jeep cuz shes scared and run up the trail instead type' is this an option there? are the easy by-passes on all trails or just some.

are these trails something i can bring my 5yr old and 1 yr old along on?

campers, any camping essentials i need to bring? cold enough at night to need space heaters and cover alls. restaurants so far away that i should pack a weeks worth of food.

now is the time to start saving the pennys so id like to start over planning.

We aren’t bringing the kids, heck the wife is flying out.

You can bring them and strap them in.

Everything in moab is moderately expensive, but there is a town and restaurants close.

The wife can jump out and get back in.

It will get into the 40s at night likely in October. But 70s during the day.

mac ‘its a bucket list trip!’ gyvr

Everything you will need you can find in Moab. There are grocery stores and whatnot, as well as a ton of great restaurants. You will pay a slight premium, but not so bad that you need to spend the extra fuel dragging groceries across the country.

Mac covered the weather, pack like you do for WF :D

I have been to Moab 3x, but it has been at least 10 years so I am looking forward to responses from others.

heres another newbie question. how do the trails work as far as cost?
do i pay 1 flat fee?
do i have to pay for every road i go down?
do i have to have any special stickers or permits?

A couple of the trails in Sand Flats Rec area have a $5/day or $10/week, per vehicle fee.
And if you run Pritchett there's a $2 fee to cross a small section of private land to access the trail.

Speaking of trails, is there a trail schedule being created for this event?

When did they start charging at Pritchett? Jeez, it has been a few years. Last time I was there you only had to pay at Area BFE.

There will be a trail fee for every day a trail is run on BLM land. It it part of the group costs to host the event. I don't know if that fee will be built into the event registration fees or be paid separate.

My first time down was 2011, We loaded up full of camping gear and groceries

At the end of the trip we threw a lot of camp food away, not realizing how close we were going to be to a bunch of great restaurants, you’re literally camping in town.

My wife is the same way, I’ve let her out many times for her own comfort. Zero problem with that on these trails

I'm bringing the whole family, but my wife will probably stay behind in camp with the 3-year old for the serious or long wheeling trips. She'll have the truck, trailer, tools, parts, and HAM radio if we need to call for help. My 9 and 12 year old boys are up for anything our Jeep is. I just sprung for the KOA camp reservation, which is more civilized than usual for us, so we'll probably do some cooking there to save money and eat well. There are lots of cheaper places to camp, but I'm coming as much for the XJ's and XJ people, and looking forward to it.

Depending on the trail you run, your wife might be distracted by the views/scenery where she 'might' not notice the drops. Word of warning, dont run cliffhanger if she is riding with you. I'm bringing my wife and one year old daughter along. It's a bucket list trip for sure in my opinion.

Weather is a mixed bag. I've been from 09 to 14, and it has been cold, sunny, rainy and even flurried some snow. I'd bring warm clothes as the nights can get a little cold.

Others have covered it, but there are grocery stores and plenty of restaurants.

As far as paying for trails, others have covered it, but Sand flats and Pritchett are the areas that require a fee. If you are running with the NAXJA group for a day, a trail fee is required to pay the BLM.

Anyone is welcome! Including MJs!

mac 'bring it!' gyvr

I'd like to hear some feedback from other not native Utah people about Beer. Is the lower % really that bad or is it worth bringing your beer of choice across the border?

I always bring beer. Usually try to bring some local stuff that may not be available elsewhere, to share. It's usually easiest to just bring what you like so there's no shortage. Remember, there is no such thing as too much beer!

I may even dust off my brewing equipment and brew a batch or two, if we don't sell our house soon.

Moab brewery sells some decent stuff, but they don't have a huge selection.

a case of beer per day per person plus one case and you won't run out...

mac 'racing weekend rules' gyvr

Imagine passing through a ski town. But instead of skiing it’s awesome wheeling. Prices are similar. Just about everything is available. Local parts stores carry lots of Jeep stuff. You can’t go wrong with any trails. Arches park and dinosaur tracks are just up the road so easy to take a day and do some ‘family’ stuff to keep everyone happy.

I'd like to hear some feedback from other not native Utah people about Beer. Is the lower % really that bad or is it worth bringing your beer of choice across the border?

The 3.2 beer is just in grocery stores and dive bars. If you go to a state liquor store (closed on sunday, and evenings) or microbrewery the selection of good beers is great, if a little overpriced. I have to drive through Idaho or Wyoming to get to Utah, and go to Moab 1-2 times a year, and have several 22's of the Moab Scotch Ale set aside because I think it among the best of my favorite style of beer.

As someone who camps, and travels on occasions, always bring beer.

Back