• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge Cluster Swap w. Column Shift A/T

comanche91

NAXJA Forum User
Been reading all the great how-to advice on swapping "idiot light" instrument clusters with full gauge/tach clusters and it didn't sound too difficult. So I bought my new full gauge cluster and oil pressure/temp sending units, and started to proceed. My Comanche has an auto tranny, column mounted shifter and the shift needle indicator is directly under the big gas gauge built into the cluster. This needle indicator is connected to the column shift with what looks like a nylon cord going into the sterering column. How do I disconnect the A/T indicator, and it looks like my replacement cluster will have to have the cutout for the shift indicator. Of course, the full gauge cluster I bought does not have this cutout. Stupid; I should have thought of this. So, do I need to find a new cluster from a column-mounted A/T shift Cherokee or Comanche or is there any way I can use the one I have? Sure looks like I can't since going into the cluster and changing out the face plates won't help since the tach will take the place of the big gas gauge after the cluster swap. Advice will be appreciated!

Back