• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP203/205 Test fit...

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Test fit the 203 for drilling and taping the other day and thought some of you might want to see how tight it is and what the plan is. Basically I'll be cutting the rotted floor out and building a new tunnel.

203Vert.jpg

203.jpg

Damn that's a big bitch.

Ford or Chevy 205? How much is it gonna hang down?

My NV4500/Np231/D300 with the D300 non-flipped and clocked flat w/flat belly skid was a challenge enough, and the 203/205 dwarfs that.

Tha is a Dodge 203 that will be mated to a Ford 205. That is hanging down about 2" at the mount. Which is why I will e building my own tunnel. The floor is rotten right behind that anyway so It has to be done. May as well make it worth it.

Did some cutting the other day. I hope to get this done in the next 3-4 weeks.

203swap029.jpg
ks.

203swap026.jpg

The cancer.
203swap027.jpg

how is the fit up on the 203 to the AW4?

The factory adatper fits tight around the bearing reatainer and I was kinda wondering how well it would fit in the AW4.

who's adatper are you going with for the 203 to 205?

jmop said:
how is the fit up on the 203 to the AW4?

The factory adatper fits tight around the bearing reatainer and I was kinda wondering how well it would fit in the AW4.

who's adatper are you going with for the 203 to 205?
I will have to have a spacer built that is between 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick. I need to pupll the crossmember on ce I get the case drilled and tapped. I enlisted a machinest jeeper friend to do that. It is close but not close enough. I got Jeb's machine shop's adapter with a billit shaft.

Jeds?

I like his new adapter with the clocking holes for the 205. I saw that and almost called him up to ask if he could drill mine. haha.

Are you going to clock the 203 and 205 up above the crossmember or hang them down a bit? Looks like in a couple of the pics you have it up and in the others it is down a bit. I thought about clocking my 205 up but since the tranny was so tall I tilted it down a bit. That and I didn't want to have to cut out the whole tranny tunnel.

Yea I know I'll be cutting back there too. I'm not there yet. Hopefully I'll get the 23 drilled and tapped this weekend. I'll be swapping my axles over to the 94 this weekend too.

ashmanjeepxj said:
My largest obsicle was to make the 205 not hange below the frame, had to cut the floor and make the seats mounts tall above the 205.

Thats bascally what I had to do as well. I alrady had custom seat mounts. Luckly the 205 came up right inbetween the mounts so all I had to do was cut a huge hole, then box it in.

My 205 sits right at the bottom of the frame. If I went to much higher it swung out to far and I would have had to cut the entire tunnel out.

As for the cocking of the tcase, the second picture with the hole in the floor is how it will sit. After I cut the hole I found that one of the 6 bolts had nothing to drill into. SO I had to compramise. I do not want that think hanging on 5 bolts! :scared:

Did the axels this weekend:

NewGhost026.jpg

Kinda sad seeing her so small again. Of course when I pulled the rear the outter part of the front leaf spring hanger was attached to air... :scared:
NewGhost027.jpg

Taking the 203 to be drilled and tapped today hopefully I'll get it in the week so I cna start cage work and 205 fitment this weekend.

That's a good looking XJ. What suspension arms are you using on the front end? Are those tires 36, or 38? See you at the Crawl.

garomy said:
That's a good looking XJ. What suspension arms are you using on the front end? Are those tires 36, or 38? See you at the Crawl.
Currently custom arms that are set up for 6" lift. I have to get/make new ones that are longer. Have not decided if I will go to the trouble of long arms. Seems like a waste of time when I'm flexing more then the coils can handle now. As for on road ride, It's a damn jeep, it isnt supose to ride like a caddy. :gee: 36" IROK's

Ok, got the 203 drilled and tapped for the aw-4

203-205002.jpg

The .300 spacer tha thad to be made because the two cases do not mate flush together.

203-205007.jpg

Will be trying to get this in today and test fitting the 205 later.

A friend came to visit while I was at work and got my cage started for me.

C-pillar
203-205003.jpg

B-pillar

203-205004.jpg

Front posts
203-205005.jpg

This is just the fondation we used a toatal of 2 sticks on all of that. I have 4 more left to play with. The new bender appears to work well. Thank you all that helped me get it mounted!!!!

Looks like the 203 was drilled in reverse so It's back to the machine shop Monday.

Had another thought about this problem. I mounted the spacer to the AW-4 and considered opening up the holes on it.

203spacer029.jpg

203spacer030.jpg

Is this a really bad idea? It is not a lot of material to remove. Is the AW-4 aluminum back there?

The AW4 is all aluminum. Are those holes on the bottom or the side of the case? I can't quite tell by the pic. I wouldn't feel too bad about opening them up. I'm guessing you are going to run a t-case mount for the 2nd case? What are you going to do for a crossmeber?

jmop said:
The AW4 is all aluminum. Are those holes on the bottom or the side of the case? I can't quite tell by the pic. I wouldn't feel too bad about opening them up. I'm guessing you are going to run a t-case mount for the 2nd case? What are you going to do for a crossmeber?
Those are at the bottom. The 205 will be on its own mount. A crossmember that is beefy! I was going to see if the tranny could retain its crossmember but I figured the front DS would prevent that. Untill I get it all under there and lighned up I'm not sure exactly how it will all be suported. The plan was to do that this weekend. Oh well so much for plans! :gonnablow

Back