• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

King of the Hammers 2016

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
TORXreport: King of the Hammers
Johnson Valley, California
Jan 31 - Feb 6, 2016

King of the Hammers snuck up on me this year. For the past few months Winton and I have been thrashing on the 4500 MJ, hoping to get it ready for some pre-running while down there, but it just wasn't meant to be this year. However, I knew at the very least I was down to head down for a week of spectating and good times!​

After catching a few solid hours of sleep, I shoved out of Battle Ground, 3:30am Saturday morning with a bit of a drive ahead.​
BE558403-AA23-4289-A479-9F90689E367D.png

The first few hours were a bit sketch making my way out of Portland under a torrential down pour. I was looking forward to leaving the PNW weather behind. First fuel stop was in Ashland, and then it was up and over Siskiyou pass. Little bit of snow on the sides, but the roads were clear.​
3060B7FA-D0CB-4F91-A198-DA4E2A3501D0.jpg

One cool thing I enjoy about these "pilgrimages" is the variety of other travelers you pass along the way. I passed a four truck convoy in Oregon all loaded with buggies, and caught this guy just outside Sacramento. All of us were Hammer bound.​
AA09B5AD-4326-42CE-80B3-140FB65DB6D3.jpg

Stopped for some groceries outside Fresno (that was a cultural experience), and grabbed some dinner. On the last leg of the trip, I hit some thick fog while heading over the pass on 58 outside Bakersfield. The few cars heading that way were forced to slow down to 25mph, and even then it was white knuckle on the corners. Eventually after dropping elevation the fog weakened, and I was on the home stretch. Arrived at Hammer Town shortly before 10:00pm, iron-manning the drive down.​

For the first night I quickly set up my tent, and crashed for the night. Woke up the next morning, and took in the beauty of the desert.​

While killing some time before some friends arrived, I took a walk through Hammer Town where vendors were still setting up, and people were arriving.​
2E91A19E-0271-4BC0-8717-6D00F73003BD.jpg

I got word some friends had arrived and were set up outside Hammer Town. I tossed the tent in the Jeep, and joined them to camp out for the week. View from camp as I unloaded the Jeep.​
DSCN2423.jpg

As Paul and Kevin pulled their coil overs for some valving changes, Rod and Mike arrived on the lake bed. Just as they unrolled their tent, we saw this monster coming right for us...​
DSCN2426.jpg

Rod and Mike bailed on the tent for the time being as it looked like this storm wasn't going to pass through anytime soon. Goggles on, light stuff stored away, and fingers crossed my tent would hold up to the desert winds.​
4E72D3DB-BAF1-47D3-8D98-487AA2B2E909.jpg

After awhile we decided to venture into Hammer Town for a change of environment. Ran into a blast from the NWC's past, IXNAYXJ. Matt was helping pit for a 4400 team, and showed us their car. TrentFab "top-shelf" IFS build, for D-squared Racing.​
0C3290D5-D3B2-4B5E-845C-C36ED44AC223.jpg

Continuing with our stroll through Hammer Town we tracked down the crew from Piston's Wild who was racing their 4542 mod class YJ this year. It was good to see some other familiar faces down there, and check out their hard work in getting their car ready.​

Back at camp with a little break in the weather, we took a drive up to Chocolate Thunder.​
DSCN2430.jpg

A few guys were out on the trail getting in some rec wheeling, and practice runs. Chocolate Thunder is a trail that some people one shot without slipping a tire, while others need a recovery crew brought in. I look forward to putting some tires on the trail one day.​
DSCN2435.jpg

4600 stock class MJ out practicing. Pretty well put together rig, and with the long wheel base, it get's it pretty good.​
DSCN2437.jpg

The clear conditions didn't last long with another wave on the horizon.​
DSCN2439.jpg

Once we got back to camp the winds were not holding back rocking the Jeep, and sand blasting everything in their path. It was only 6:00pm, but we called it a night to just take some shelter. Rod and Mike slept in their Jeep, while I stayed in my tent with my fingers crossed it wouldn't rip apart. For the next 12 hours the winds didn't let up. I'd fall asleep only to get woken up by a gust nearly flattening my tent in it's path. After I could hear the sand raining down on everything inside.​
1B2529C4-CE84-4FF7-984A-5433CDBEE2AF.jpg

Hunkered down inside my mummy bag, I had to wonder how long this was going to last. After all, this was suppose to be a vacation.​

Last edited:
Re: King of the Hammers 20116

After spending 14 hours in my tent, I layered up and ventured outside. I managed to cook some breakfast and coffer with only minimal sand topping. Paul was busy finishing some final touches on his rig before heading out for some pre-running with Larry from CRAWL Mag / Team Yukon. With an open seat and nothing better to do, I geared up for a ride along.

We found Larry in his pit getting strapped in. Larry is racing his LJ which has been built into a 4500 mod class racer. Powered by a built 6.0l, Rock-jock 60's, 14" FOX suspension, and some 37" Nitto's, it scoots along nicely. Paul and Kevin would be pre-running with Larry the first lap of the EMC course, which consists of ~62 miles of mostly desert.

We chased Larry out of the pits, around Back Door, and across Melville dried lake. The head winds were so strong Paul was topped out at 60mph, while Larry was still pulling away. We lost site of Kevin, and pulled over to wait. He caught up a bit later after replacing a PCM fuse. At this point we lost track of Larry and were on our own to find the course. Holding Paul's phone loaded with the course map, I made sure we stayed on course as Paul focused on the desert ahead.

Regrouped, and took a quick pit stop.
AEEC6854-05D3-4B62-B745-9E38DA80452E.jpg

Back on course we chased Larry through some canyons and washes. It was clear how valuable pre-running is, as you can find the short cuts, and danger areas out ahead of time. While not running at full race speed, we were having a blast hitting the whoop sections at 50mph trading off passes with one another.
C695D201-092F-4F35-86C0-493596DC3E6D.jpg

73AA91F9-4567-4650-8DF6-0ACC88D5B8BB.jpg

Once back from pre-running I grabbed some lunch, and then headed up to Chocolate Thunder to meet up with Rod and Mike for the "SRRS vs Ultra4 Shootout". We were curious how this years shoot out would be since the location change from Backdoor. People heading across the lakebed.
DSCN2444.jpg

As I sat BS'ing with the bros, a Mexican dude walks up awkwardly and says, "excuse me, can I use the restroom?" :laugh:
817C1E7E-B4A9-429E-AD16-A53E7F11153C.jpg

DSCN2447.jpg

As the start time got nearer the more people headed our way.
DSCN2451.jpg

Crowds gathered.
DSCN2452.jpg

With the canyon lit up, the action got started. It was a bit disappointing though. In years past it's been a true contest between the southern "rock bouncers" vs the west coast "ultra4" styled rigs. This year seemed to be more average joe rec wheelers, who just weren't bringing the intensity. Not to mention Chocolate Thunder was pretty mild compared to Backdoor.
DSCN2454.jpg

After watching about half the field run, we decided to head back to HammerTown and watch the jumbotron. However the winds were still pretty gusty, and only two dudes were brave enough to pull up chairs and watch.
3B6A19D6-334E-4FAC-84C8-0CABE706249B.jpg

Shelter.
ACFB0671-A2D2-4D37-AF42-66A4F6E9C137.png

On our way back to camp we huddled around the security dudes fire at the gate. Feeling the need for a fire of our own, we decided to get an "arm full" of firewood for $5. This guy somehow got suckered into being the pack mule with his gorilla arms. Ended up being a pretty good deal! A campfire was life saver, and really took the edge off the winds that night.

The next morning we woke up to sunny skies, and nearly no wind. After two days and nights sleeping in the Jeep, Rod and Mike finally began to set up camp.
DSCN2459.jpg

About mid day we ventured up and watched some qualifying for the 4400 cars. View of the Hammer Town.
DSCN2472.jpg

First heat of 4400 cars lined up, and waiting their turn.
DSCN2462.jpg

The qualifying course ended with an optional waterfall drop finish.
DSCN2467.jpg

If the team wasn't up for the drop, the other option was around the side, and through the gate, which was the slower but safer option.
DSCN2471.jpg

Sometimes things didn't pan out.
DSCN2465.jpg

Media guy put some miles on that bike that week.
DSCN2479.jpg

IFS/IRS Australian car.
DSCN2480.jpg

Relaxing day in the desert.
DSCN2484.jpg

Caught red handed with the course markers wrapped up under the car.
DSCN2490.jpg

Some cars were still out pre-running trying to get things dialed for the big race.
DSCN2486.jpg

The Gomez's had three cars in the race, two of which were brand new IFS single seaters. Both of which put up the top two fastest times of 2:03 and 2:05!
DSCN2493.jpg

4:00pm brings the start of "Power Hour," where fastest of the field run their qualifying runs.
DSCN2497.jpg

Casey Currie dropping the falls.
DSCN2502.jpg

Erik Miller dropping down Short Bus with the helo in chase.
DSCN2507.jpg

It wasn't the fastest run, and you could tell he didn't run the car at 100%. I believe the tactic was have a conservative run, and finish near the front. He can then pick the front runners off on race day.
DSCN2508.jpg

Crews conversed with their drivers.
DSCN2506.jpg

Andrew McLaughlin of LetzRoll endo'd coming down the first hill, only to land on the wheels and peel out like it didn't even phase him. Still managed to end strong coming off the falls a little crooked.
DSCN2521.jpg

New LaserNut IFS/IRS rig. It was smooth.
DSCN2524.jpg

Tom Wayes and the Yoda Racing boys on deck to wrap up the first day of Power Hour.
DSCN2527.jpg

Rob Maccachren in the 4415 PSC car.
DSCN2532.jpg

-1 BFG.
DSCN2535.jpg

Something about a chopper chasing a Ultra4 car.
DSCN2540.jpg

Tom Wayes got the green flag and was on it 110% as usual.
DSCN2546.jpg

...and over drove the car as usual. All or nothing for him.
DSCN2548.jpg

Since he already was qualified for the main race, he'd have to settle on a starting position at the back of the pack on Friday.
DSCN2549.jpg

The east coast guys of Yoda Racing had a strong run. Come to find out we'd end up at their pit party later in the week.
DSCN2551.jpg

Wednesday morning I woke up and ventured into Hammer Town to watch the start of the UTV race.
DSCN2553.jpg

Ready for take off.
DSCN2554.jpg

Starting line.
DSCN2558.jpg

And they're off!
DSCN2557.jpg

DSCN2564.jpg

Golf carts catching some air.
DSCN2562.jpg

After the start I took a stroll through HammerTown to see what was new.
DSCN2566.jpg

Stopped and chatted with the Piston's Wild team. They wasted a KM2 prer-running, but seemed to be all set for race day the next morning.

Esab Welding was on site offering up their services for the week.
DSCN2567.jpg

RuffStuff Specialties is always busy repairing cars all week. 4600 XJ getting some early morning attention.
DSCN2568.jpg

Some mil-sepc UTV's in town. Also, hot security guard was back again.
DSCN2569.jpg

Back at camp, Trevin arrived Sunday night, and had been working on getting his Jeep ready to run all week after an in depth Eaton axle install. It was Wednesday morning and he was onto the last few details. Paul's winch offered some assistance in getting his caged aligned.
DSCN2570.jpg

Back in HammerTown we found the EMC contingency going on. It was fun to check out the 4500 field and see what our future competition looked like.
41BDA344-F63D-4E00-9B91-4F8F0CECF652.jpg

Team Piston's Wild.
6CF09BB3-DF1F-454D-ADCA-42606A4462B7.jpg

Nearing 4:00, we loaded up the Red Wagon and ventured up to qualifying for the second day of Power Hour.
DSCN2573.jpg

This guy took the corner a bit high, and got stuck. One more King Shock's hoodie and they would have made it.
DSCN2577.jpg

Somewhere in there is the 966 car of Jason Blanton.
DSCN2578.jpg

Jason rolled off the side just before dropping off the waterfall. He recovered and went to drop it again, almost rolling a second time. Just goes to show these courses are not easy, and you need to be on your game.
DSCN2579.jpg

Bailey Campbell starting her qualifying lap.
DSCN2591.jpg

Solid run.
DSCN2595.jpg

Wayland Campbell hitting it hard. He's really come a long ways in just a few years of Ultra4 racing. He was a top pick of mine on winning it all this year.
DSCN2603.jpg

Dropping to the finish.
DSCN2605.jpg

Levi Shirley in the Maxxis Tire car heading around the back side.
DSCN2610.jpg

Former King Jason Scherer finishing his run and setting a new top time of 1:54! His dust cloud from the start wasn't even clear by the time he had finished.
DSCN2617.jpg

Ultra4 champion and two time King, Loren Healy put up a 1:58. It's very clear why these guys are always at the top of the field, they give it 110% every time.
DSCN2621.jpg

Shannon Campbell.

Randy Slawson.

Randy held back on his run, and finished with a conservative 2:22.
DSCN2629.jpg

After qualifying was finished, we got an inside scoop that some rock bouncers were heading up to the waterfall to try and climb it. Hell yeah!
DSCN2632.jpg

Shear power, but also a lot of finesse in controlling the rig.
DSCN2636.jpg

To a point.
DSCN2638.jpg

DSCN2639.jpg

Knowing the line, the next buggy headed up, but ended up on his side after a few tries.
DSCN2640.jpg

Hitman Buggy was last to try, and got really close to hopping his tires over the top. Really impressive to watch, and we're hoping the shootout will be here next year.

Later that night we walked into Hammer Town, and enjoyed the bonfire for a bit.
466BBCBA-C1B2-41F5-94DF-8CFEE9DB63E1.jpg

While making a pit stop at the bathrooms on the way out we ran into some dudes from the Carolinas. After debating differences between the west and the south (bro vs brah), we found ourselves in their pit drinking beer around their fire. Good times!

Thursday 0700, EMC race day.
DSCN2653.jpg

Walked into Hammer Town to catch the start of the races. Pits were quiet.
DSCN2654.jpg

Cars were staging.
DSCN2656.jpg

MJ guys were strapped in ready to go.
DSCN2658.jpg

DSCN2663.jpg

Wonder how long they'll stay there?
DSCN2665.jpg

Combs doing a pre-race interview.
DSCN2670.jpg

Team Piston's Wild strapped in and ready to go.
DSCN2673.jpg

Got a prime spot to watch the race atop the Monster Energy lounge. Looking out over the sea of pit tents.
DSCN2678.jpg

Jessi piloting the Savvy/Currie car had the pole position. Green flag, and she was off.
DSCN2683.jpg

The other 4500 class cars followed.
DSCN2687.jpg

DSCN2694.jpg

DSCN2695.jpg

Piston's Wild about ready to start the 2016 Smittybilt Everyman Challenge.
DSCN2706.jpg

DSCN2709.jpg

Little bit of air time.
DSCN2710.jpg

DSCN2714.jpg

4800 Legends class starting. These are basically unlimited cars, with two restrictions, single shock per corner, and 37" tires.
DSCN2722.jpg

Randy Slawson racing 4800 and 4400 this year in his Bomber Fab rigs. His 4848 car almost seemed like a Bomber-Lite version.

Start of the 4600 stock class. These guys have a long rough day ahead of them.
DSCN2735.jpg

The Grand Cherokee's seemed to be a popular platform being linked front and rear, with a stock V8.

While walking back to camp after the start of the races, you could see a car on its side heading up Short Bus just after the start. It caused a massive bottle neck. Note to self, don't be that guy.
DSCN2748.jpg

DSCN2750.jpg

The bros and I packed up for a day of spectating, and headed up to Jack Hammer canyon.
DSCN2751.jpg

Media dudes chilling out until the leader came through.
DSCN2752.jpg

The desert landscape never gets old.
1008AC2E-225F-4FD4-A548-2F0F348A2962.jpg

"Kelly, I want you to take a video of me with my truck in the back ground, and sun in my face, how is my hair?"
DSCN2761.jpg

Ms. Combs leading the field, coming down Jack Hammer.
DSCN2763.jpg

Brad and Roger Lovell on her heels in their 4800 Legends car.
DSCN2766.jpg

Jessi got a bit hung up in the sand, and the Lovell's were able to close the gap. Brad and Roger ended up taking first place overall.
DSCN2769.jpg

Jordan Pellegrino 4500 class.
DSCN2774.jpg

Jordan coming through Jack, with a Legends are on his tail.

Slawson.
DSCN2782.jpg

Cars started filing in.
DSCN2787.jpg

These guys lost a driveshaft coming through the rocks. Driver was walking back up to retrieve it. Ended up front burning all the way down the canyon.
DSCN2788.jpg

Sometimes the codriver had to get out.
DSCN2800.jpg

Stacking up a bit. It was fun to see what the drivers would do. Would they wait for it to clear, or try and find a way around the jam? It's a race after all.
DSCN2804.jpg

4531 had a new driver/codriver team this year, and you could definitely tell in their communication.
DSCN2810.jpg

It's bad when the driver has to get out of the car to explain what needs to happen.
DSCN2812.jpg

4531 eventually made their way out of Jack and up the sand hill putting the V8 power to use.
DSCN2817.jpg

Lindsay Gilstrap.
DSCN2819.jpg

Wishing he had a rocket launcher.
DSCN2826.jpg

Apparently this guy can drive pretty good around corners.
DSCN2831.jpg

The car in front of Lindsay Gilstrap became high centered. The co-driver got out to hook up the winch, but Lindsay offered a bump to free them. Once the car was free Lindsay then became hung up. The codriver of the other car then proceeded to hook up Lindsay's winch. Awesome sportsmanship!
DSCN2832.jpg

Mike Johnson's been racing 4500 for five years, and has managed to pull off a finish every year. Solid racer.
DSCN2835.jpg

This Legends car took the alternate line down, and slid off the trail at the end. They must have been there for at least an hour trying to figure out how to get it free. For having entered the Legends class, you would think some racers would be a little more in check with how to pick lines, and self recover.
DSCN2847.jpg

One part about KOH I like is just the people watching. This dude was perched on top of a rock looking down over the cars as they drove by. I bet he has some stories to tell.
DSCN2853.jpg

Matzell Racing through Jack, and up the sand hill.
DSCN2859.jpg

Hiked up top Jack Hammer canyon.
DSCN2864.jpg

It was nice to get away from the spectators, and just watch the cars come down from Jack North.
DSCN2879.jpg

Larry mid pack, making his way down to Jack Hammer. He was looking smooth, and gave the thumbs up as he passed by.
DSCN2884.jpg

DSCN2885.jpg

Go for the pass!
DSCN2888.jpg

Choppa.
DSCN2902.jpg

After seeing our share of cars come through Jack, we loaded up and headed over to Chocolate Thunder. The racers had to run CT before heading over to Jack. Little Red Wagon looking proud.
DSCN2908.jpg

It's always fun checking out the rigs that aren't there to race. Nicely built Cherokee parked at CT. ORI's, RCV's, 39" Reds... mmm.
DSCN2904.jpg

DSCN2905.jpg

42" PBR's, front triangulated four link, and jungle gym on top.
DSCN2907.jpg

Saw one car come through, and headed back to HT.
DSCN2913.jpg

Meanwhile, back at camp.
DSCN2914.jpg

We later walked into Hammer Town to see the last few finishers come across the line before the 6:00pm cutoff. This 4600 XJ was the only stock class rig to finish so far, and he crossed minutes after 6PM. Really cool to hear about their day, and see the family/crew cheer as they came in.
B510E42D-B02F-414A-8B1F-82B9FE4750A6.jpg

511FEAAE-3F31-4EB8-A022-0C2826CB357D.jpg

Later that night, (actually it might have been a few days prior) Rod had a little mishap while cooking dinner and sliced his hand open. While he probably would have been fine, we took him over to the EMS tent to have it looked at... "I smelled her hair."
6F781189-267D-46FC-A8A5-DAD0451ABC06.jpg

Friday morning, start of the Nitto Tire King of the Hammers.
DSCN2918.jpg

Tom was starting at the back of the pack after not completing his qualifying run. The car was on jack stands, warming up the rear diff fluid. He was going to be on a mission.
DSCN2919.jpg

666 rig on 54" claws and Rockwells. Completely dwarfed all the other cars.
DSCN2921.jpg

Jason Scherer had the pole position. Strapped in, and on life support.
DSCN2923.jpg

Shannon all set to go, and try and secure a third title at King.
DSCN2924.jpg

We wandered over to the start. It was packed with everyone wanting to see the start of the race.
DSCN2929.jpg

Scherer and Healy lined up waiting for the green flag. While you had thousands of horse power idling, and race gas filling the air, it was oddly quiet as everyone waited.
DSCN2930.jpg

Go time.
DSCN2935.jpg

DSCN2938.jpg

Erik Miller off.
DSCN2939.jpg

The Beast is off. Imagine see that thing in your mirror.
DSCN2948.jpg

Wayes and Pellegrino starting their race after rolling in qualifying.
DSCN2953.jpg

After watching the cars launch, we headed back to camp to think of a plan for the day. Decided to check out Backdoor first.
DSCN2956.jpg

Yoda Racing coming through the wash starting their second lap.
DSCN2957.jpg

Backdoor was a popular spot. The racers had to run it one time, over the course of three laps.
DSCN2960.jpg

Double fisting with an infant strapped to her on a hillside. Meh, what's the worst that could happen?
DSCN2972.jpg

Two cars decided to run Backdoor on their second lap. Jeff Russell in the 4427 in the UFO IFS car tried to go for the pass at the beginning.
DSCN2967.jpg

Most played it safe, and immediately hooked up the winch.
DSCN2973.jpg

Majority of the cars were saving Backdoor for their final lap, so to go see some more action we headed back up to Jack/Sledge.
DSCN2981.jpg

DSCN2984.jpg

D-Squared racing coming through on their second lap. Jackhammer is ran twice on the second and third laps, where on the third lap they will then run up Sledgehammer.
DSCN2985.jpg

DSCN2988.jpg

14 Bolts doing what they do best.
DSCN2993.jpg

You know you chose poorly when you have to rig the winch line clear up into the crowd.
DSCN2997.jpg

Clay Gilstrap.
DSCN3011.jpg

Jack was spotty as some cars had clean runs through, while others diffed out and high centered. I think this is where pre-running comes in and knowing which lines work.
DSCN3023.jpg

Lasernut IFS/IRS crawling along.
DSCN3029.jpg

The IRS was smooth, and seemed to be working well for them.
DSCN3032.jpg

Erik Miller leading the pack overall coming through for his second time.
DSCN3040.jpg

Erik high centered on a rock, the codriver was out within a minute (harness, air supply, coms, window net) and already running the rope out. Very quick and smooth team.
DSCN3045.jpg

Car was still looking good as they made their way down Jack.
DSCN3048.jpg

Raul Gomez chasing Miller down also high centered. His codriver hooked up the winch only to find out it wasn't working, or was spooled on wrong.
DSCN3056.jpg

The 4138 car took a bad line down the center of Jack, and got a little too tippy. They hung out in this spot for a bit, probably not breathing, trying to figure out what to do.
DSCN3058.jpg

A few seconds later gravity did it's thing.
DSCN3062.jpg

Wayland and Scherer coming down Jack canyon.
DSCN3069.jpg

Wayland took the center line down, which was partially blocked by the roll over. Scherer saw the opportunity to pass, and chose the alternate side line to the left. What he didn't know was it too was blocked. He was already committed at this point, and rather than wait out amateur hour, he chose to drive off the side of the bonus line which required a six foot drop back into the main canyon. Absolutely incredible to watch. After all that it didn't pay off as he was still trailing Wayland.
DSCN3074.jpg

They eventually got the car righted, but since outside assistance was used, their race was over.
DSCN3081.jpg

Bailey coming through for her final lap running a solid race.
DSCN3086.jpg

Shannon had some issues earlier in the day, but was back in the race making up ground fast.
DSCN3087.jpg

Levi Shirley.
DSCN3093.jpg

These two cars were blocking the left side alternate line for awhile. As the first one dropped the exit, the second one got it's push bar locked in the first car's tire carrier. They tried jacks, winches, throttle, nothing was unlocking them. They ended up unbolting the second cars push bar to separate the two.
DSCN3101.jpg

Randy Slawson on his final lap.
DSCN3110.jpg

DSCN3106.jpg

View from up top.
DSCN3119.jpg

Car coming down from Jack North into the canyon below.
DSCN3122.jpg

It was a bit of a hike up Jack Hammer canyon, and over the top of the ridge to drop down into Sledge, but I wanted to see it in person. Sledgehammer Canyon is no joke.
DSCN3135.jpg

It's been eight years since they have ran it up, and looking at the size of the rocks I can see why.
DSCN3129.jpg

The first big obstacle pretty much required every car to winch over it. Some of you might remember this as the rock where Cambell drove over another car to get up in ~08'. Keep in mind those are 40" tires.
DSCN3146.jpg

Sledge wasn't open to spectator viewing unless you hiked in. Only a few of us were up on the canyon walls.
DSCN3149.jpg

This team started up the rock far right hoping to stick a line.
DSCN3152.jpg

Only to wind up in the hole.
DSCN3154.jpg

Wayes and a few other cars made their way into the canyon waiting for their turn. I don't think the last car will have any cooling issues.
DSCN3158.jpg

Supposedly this is the line needed to drive it. Far left and climb the wall.
DSCN3160.jpg

Not going to happen this time.
DSCN3161.jpg

Big ass rocks.
DSCN3164.jpg

Tom got out an convinced the car behind him to help winch him up. Down side to a single seater on obstacles like these.
DSCN3168.jpg

Team work. Sledge was a bit backed up, but everyone worked together to get through and keep the race going.
DSCN3173.jpg

Hiking out.
DSCN3174.jpg

Kevin Yoder making his way down into Jack. It was getting late in the day, but these guys weren't giving up.
DSCN3175.jpg

DSCN3177.jpg

With it getting late in the day we ventured back to Hammer Town to watch the finishers come in. Getting the itch for a WJ build...
89533006-5A3E-4D8C-8E37-83BC78A7E983.jpg

Bit of a drive, eh?
DSCN3180.jpg

Lots of people came out to watch the race. HT was busy.
DSCN3181.jpg

Jumbotron had live coverage of the course streaming.
DSCN3183.jpg

Jason Shipman crossed the line, and gave his post race interview.
DSCN3187.jpg

19 year old Bailey Campbell finished 5th overall.
DSCN3189.jpg

DSCN3191.jpg

Scherer took second place overall.
DSCN3193.jpg

We packed up camp Friday night, and prepared for the drive back to reality. Rod and Mike shoved off at 1am, and I hit the road 5am. Sunrise going through Mojave.
3EB2621D-6E5D-439B-B237-DF85CEEBCBD4.jpg

About twelve hours later I was watching the sunset in Oregon.
DSCN3194.jpg

What a great trip!
4CA421E1-3ADF-44C1-9D9B-3D0628AE1C82.jpg

Hope to see some of you bros down there next year!

Stunning report! Thanks for all the work to post that. Made me feel like I was almost there.

David Bricker / SYR

Looks awesome. was there in 2011 great times

Back