• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another... Build thread for an xj on 40s and one tons in norcal

Have you checked for a stuck injector?

So far , it seems like all 6 are dumping , so my Tuner says its not super likely . I am going to try some new injectors at some point.

talking with my tuner, 2 big things stick out - Fuel Sync, and possibly the wideband sensor is giving bad readings and or I have exhaust leaks before the wideband.

I ordered a new wideband, and also I am going to dial in the Fuel Sync on the dizzy , check for exhaust leaks, and then go from there.

How long until you get it back together? I would love to come up there (what like 5 miles from my house) and tune it now that you know the internals are good. I love doing that kind of stuff.

Dude I will take you up on that !!! It could be a few weeks. Im just waiting on getting the motor back .

Jon,
Glad to hear the motor's in good shape
Real curious to see how your tune changes things, I'm looking into tuning mine for economy soon.
What's the curb weight of you're rig? Any chance it's just too heavy/rolling mass for these motors?

Jon,
Glad to hear the motor's in good shape
Real curious to see how your tune changes things, I'm looking into tuning mine for economy soon.
What's the curb weight of you're rig? Any chance it's just too heavy/rolling mass for these motors?

Yeah that is one possible idea is that its pretty heavy... but then again alot of guys have heavy jeeps and run stock engines with say 5.38 gears and can hold freeway speeds just fine. I am going to hope that dialing in the tuning should help.

from weighing my previous jeep at 4700-4800 empty, but not this one, my guess is that this one is around 5000-5100 empty with the dana 60 front and the atlas being incremental but this one has less tube. I bet its probably between 5500 - 5700 loaded

I have to wait 3 weeks for the motor, so I started installing my rear leaf sliders and some more odds and ends on the waggy. In the process of rebuilding the waggy carb right now. Its getting horrendous MPG and not very powerful.

b03505d71bfd3753e5ab918f489d9c6f.jpg
2449c9cdbc57914c48cb5d02b3eaba8f.jpg
2480b2e24af8fbd6324202260250d098.jpg

Last edited:
890bfd63fb28b176d5062fedca71a018.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice, I should've used those in my Blue jeep. I imagine it'll be more stable, just at the cost of overall travel.
How long of a shackle is that replacing? What's the new lift height back there?
Looking forward to seeing that rig up and running man

Replaced a 6” long shackle. Lift height is about the same as pre boxes. More of Constant roll center in the rear, raised rear roll center Too, no rear jacking , allows for constant spring rate through range of motion. Should see no reduction in travel comparwd to my 90* shackle angle . Also eliminates side to side shifting in the rear due to longer shackles.

Last edited:
Working on swapping the stroker back in. If anyone wants to help wrench at all over the next 3-4 evenings ill take the help .Ill be working on it a few hours each night over the next few nights and on saturday all day until its in.

e9ec3bd3c6052c859fb2e469e4f03fe7.jpg
41956cdba4cff393d140736134118d8a.jpg

Thanks Cristoph for the help tonight man that was awesome. At this rate ill be done tomorrow night or Friday. Stoked .

I was thinking the same thing. Its sitting a little further together than mine is right now.

Got way further tonight. Should be running tomorrow night assuming all goes well. Going to give it more advance with my
Shaved distributor.
Thanks cristoph I love the way it wheels . Hopefully all the rear suspension work allows it to drive straighter...

Alright, I keep trying things out and I cant get it to run right. I keep indexing the distributor, and keep getting 1391 codes and it feels like its lacking . I dont know what to do with it at this point. I ordered new Cam and Crank sensors from Summit tonight after trying a few spares I had.

66177254a10bc15a605d52b2a425922e.jpg

Put the oil pump to 11. Screwdriver trhough dizzy holes.

85c4bc81ba7cac445c88e046d59ec680.jpg

Had the dizzy here earlier

6de6218337ff4b7481094969b64a8969.jpg

Now have the dizzy here , a little past #1.
Ill drive it tomorrow with the new indexing.

f2136d9649ea91455af20e268b6f75ec.jpg

Im pretty sure the dizzy cant index with the stock tabs still on. Was reading about guys having issues with aftermarket cams not indexing to stock. Used my cut up distributor and gave it as much advance as possible

Back