• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hackett Gulch, 3-25-17, 10:00 AM!

Open on 31's should be able to do this trail, correct?

Should make for an interesting run. Just got some decent snow here.
From what I can find on the interwebs, snowfall in the Woodland Park area is around 6-inches. What have you heard?

Open on 31's should be able to do this trail, correct?
I'm open/open on 32's. If that is not good enough for the conditions, I'll see if I can find a seat.

Doesn't Hackett have a decent water crossing?
From what I read on Traildamage, Hackett Gulch ends at the water crossing. Crossing the S. Platte puts you on Corral Creek, which connects with Longwater Gulch.

I have confirmed that Hackett Gulch is open year-round as an in & out trail. I have not confirmed Corral Creek as open, nor will I ask anyone to cross the river.

Do not cross the river. Monument creek is up over a foot. There are two possible crossings from Hackett Gulch. There is a cut off to the right 2/3 of the way down that goes down a rock slab with what looks like an old winch anchor in it. This goes to the crossing that connects to the trail that will eventually take you to the Longwater crossing and trail, with another crossing in between. I came out that first crossing a few weeks ago when I'm sure the run-off was way less, and had some water go over my hood crawling out the river bank. I'm on 33's and 4.5". If you don't take that cut-off, you will come down to a crossing that goes to a very nice picnic area at the base of widow maker hill, which last I saw was closed. That crossing, way back when I was on a couple of inches and 30's, I refused to cross when I saw a wrangler on 31's and 3" get turned sideways by the current and get hydrolocked. The XJ that went across was on 35's and probably 6", locked and locked. I'm guessing run-off will be considerable, and the river will be quite high. Myself, I wouldn't do it on less than 37's with a snorkel, but I am a conservative old bastard.

There will be snow in the shadows. There was snow in the shadows on Cedar Mtn road that were quite icey a couple of weeks ago. Most of the trail is pretty well drained, but there are tight, off-camber squeezes that will make minor body damage possible when slicky. The base of Hackett rock is very dug out. I went up when there was considerable snow pack with no problem, but wet, muddy rocks are a little different.

I'd expect the trail to be pretty sloppy. There is a climb after Hackett rock that I'd expect to be pretty muddy. It was interesting going down when it was dry, sloppy going up?? I'm not going, my front driveshaft has a bad u-joint that would survive an average 4wd outing, which Hackett is when dry, but I don't trust it if I had to stress it. I think it's just going to be too sloppy for me. Led is out also.

20 years ago it was $500 to be hauled out of there by a bull dozer, I'm sure it's a few grand now. :)

Last edited:
Is anyone still meeting in the springs at 9am?

Fred, I can lend you a spare front driveshaft if you want one. Text me 423-217-7445. I could even rebuild yours while ya'll are wheeling. I'm near Academy & Union. Can install at my place & you head up.

I don't think my tires are big enough to do this otherwise I'd be in.

Last edited:
There is very little stock about my jeep, definitely not the front driveshaft. Thanks, though. Hopefully, there wasn't too much drama on the trail run.

Now its 10:40 PM, I am home and fed, time to start working on images.

BTW, the day was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now its 10:40 PM, I am home and fed, time to start working on images.

BTW, the day was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F'YES! :cheers:

Back