• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

And now the day no-one was waiting for...

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
Not so much because it wouldn't be a little momentous (it is - particularly to me!) but because everyone thought I'd not find anyone who could put up with me so long...

To-day, my wife (The Blonde ThingTM, proper name Julie) and I commemorate ten years of marriage. A week ago was twelve years together.

Man, I never thought I'd find someone who could put up with me for so long! Over the last twelve years we've been many things, but not one of them has been "bored."

And now, it's only natural that I should take a moment to reflect on my family life - particularly the oddities therein:
  • My wife is three years younger than my mother
  • She's six months older than mum's husband
  • I became a grandfather at 33
  • If my younger son gets married to the girl he's with, I'll have a daughter-in-law two years older than me
  • I am a distant cousin (fifth once removed, I think) to my wife's ex-husband and father of her kids (is it any wonder I've always thought of them as mine? We're related anyhow!)

I could probably go on, but I shan't. Just bear these in mind when you think things can't get any weirder (they usually can, don't you worry about that!)

But, ten years of marriage is a milestone I never thought I'd see for myself, and I'm happy that I have. My wife has never caused me any trouble (although her mother and her brother have cause more than enough to make up for it.) And, we've been married longer than she was married to her first husband, which I consider a good sign. We may not live long enough to pass my grandfolks (we lost him after they'd been married for fifty-two years!) but I'm looking forward to twenty-five or thirty. Here's hoping!

I just thought I'd share that. I'd post a pic, but I like sleeping indoors (she's more photogenic than I am, but she's not entirely happy with her appearance. I honestly don't understand why - I just love her shape!:loveu:)

Congrats Jon! Thats borderline Springer right there. But having everything work out as it should keeps you on the right side of the fence. With marriages all falling apart having become far too common, I'm always glad to see one holding together...........:yelclap:

Heh. So am I. I told her before we got married that if she ever wants to get rid of me, she'll have to kill me in my sleep. I've seen too many divorces as it is, I don't want to be one.

And Springer be damned - I don't even watch that drivel, why would I want to be on it?!?

But I don't think it's fair that someone with as much of a breast fixation as I do should end up with B-cups, while I'm surrounded by Ds or larger... But, she's still bigger than my previous girlfriends - they were all As. I just don't understand it...

Congratulations on your milestone! It's great when people can find a companion in life that lasts!

I never thought I'd make it to 10 either (we are so different personality wise), but this year is our 27th, and I love my wife as much, if not more, today than the day we married, go figure.

Congratulations on your milestone! It's great when people can find a companion in life that lasts!

I never thought I'd make it to 10 either (we are so different personality wise), but this year is our 27th, and I love my wife as much, if not more, today than the day we married, go figure.

Julie and I are similar at the core (she's X-cop, and I'm X-abn,) but the superficial traits make us almost polar opposites. Most people who knew us when thought we'd not even go six months, and she actually started this with the intention of it being short-term. Go figure.

I'm just glad she changed her mind!

Frankly, I was beginning (at the time) to think I'd never find anyone who could put up with me long enough to get married to in the first place. I'd stopped looking when we "just happened." I wish I'd known that was what I needed to do years before...

Thanks, everyone.

Congrats Jon! My wife (OSHA) and I are celebrating our 4th anniversary today! I hope she has the patience of your wife!
biggrin.gif

Billy

Don't mean to hijack but I have to share what I have to do this weekend. While everyone else is out enjoying the weather, wheeling, watching the Pens game, I'll be at WEDDING CLASSES!!! :spin1: Getting my head examined by a bunch of obnoctiously nice religious people.

I leave tonight at 7:30pm and get done at 4pm Sunday! It's going to be a great time... I was told to bring a fan because there's no AC and to pack snacks because there is no food between meals. No TV and I can't even talk to her because they'll have us separated the whole time. FUN STUFF!!

:rattle:

The Stupids said:
Many, many years ago when I was twenty-three
I was married to a widow who was pretty as could be
This widow had a grownup daughter who had hair of red
My father fell in love with her, and soon they too were wed

This made my Dad my son-in-law and really changed my life
For now my daughter was my mother, 'cause she was my father's wife
And to complicate the matter, even though it brought me joy,
I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy

My little baby then became a brother-in-law to Dad
And so became my uncle, though it made me very sad
For if he were my uncle, then that also made him brother
Of the widow's grownup daughter, who was of course my stepmother

Father's wife then had a son who kept them on the run
And he became my grandchild, for he was my daughter's son
My wife is now my mother's mother, and it makes me blue
Because although she is my wife, she's my grandmother too

Now if my wife is my grandmother, then I'm her grandchild
And every time I think of it, it nearly drives me wild
'Cause now I have become the strangest case you ever saw
As husband of my grandmother, I am my own grandpa

I'm my own grandpa,
I'm my own grandpa,
It sounds funny, I know
But it really is so
I'm my own grandpa

And Congratulations, I’m in the process of trying to get my ex back

Congrats, the first 10 are the hardest, we'll be at 30 in 3 more years.
It's also the way it works, when you are not looking WHAM, I met janet one winter after 2 weeks of service calls in Florida, got home, -0F-, pulled on my leathers and 8ft scarf and fired the bike up, rode 8 miles to a Dunkin Donuts where she worked. Picked a quiet corner where I could read, drink coffee and smoke, all by myself. After a couple of weeks of that being there and vanishing she asked ME out. Darn if we did not get married 4 months later and bought a house.

Don't mean to hijack but I have to share what I have to do this weekend. While everyone else is out enjoying the weather, wheeling, watching the Pens game, I'll be at WEDDING CLASSES!!! :spin1: Getting my head examined by a bunch of obnoctiously nice religious people.

I leave tonight at 7:30pm and get done at 4pm Sunday! It's going to be a great time... I was told to bring a fan because there's no AC and to pack snacks because there is no food between meals. No TV and I can't even talk to her because they'll have us separated the whole time. FUN STUFF!!

:rattle:

Wedding classes? WTF are those?

The reverend who married us was concerned over the difference in our ages (seventeen years.) I should probably go back and give Rev. Foote a good report on us - she'd probably be happy to hear it.

@buzzbombxj - are you sure that's not a Ray Stevens song? Sounds like soemthing he'd write, and his was the first iteration I'd heard (although I tend to prefer "We Got Elvis in a UFO".)

Congrats! It really is refreshing in this day and age to see some people actually work together and make a marriage a success. It's also funny to hear the stories of how the've met and started their relationship. I was going through a divorce and rented a house with a friend of mine. Behind our house was a guest house. 2 college gals rented the guest house. I was in no mood to have another relationship after being soured by the ex so, I kept telling my buddy that he should ask the extremely attractive blond out. He never did ask her out but, we became friends and she started hanging out with us when we'd go to the desert to ride atv,s and bbq. She and I started getting pretty friendly and, this past January we celebrated our 20th anniversary. I am still amazed that she chose to spend her life with me. I cannot imagine where I'd be or what I'd be doing without her. She is my absolute soulmate. I love you honey!

Congrats! It really is refreshing in this day and age to see some people actually work together and make a marriage a success. It's also funny to hear the stories of how the've met and started their relationship. I was going through a divorce and rented a house with a friend of mine. Behind our house was a guest house. 2 college gals rented the guest house. I was in no mood to have another relationship after being soured by the ex so, I kept telling my buddy that he should ask the extremely attractive blond out. He never did ask her out but, we became friends and she started hanging out with us when we'd go to the desert to ride atv,s and bbq. She and I started getting pretty friendly and, this past January we celebrated our 20th anniversary. I am still amazed that she chose to spend her life with me. I cannot imagine where I'd be or what I'd be doing without her. She is my absolute soulmate. I love you honey!

Heh.

I ran the maintenance crew at Adobe Systems for three years - right through the big move into San Jose (and I was #2 in the move. Brought them from Mountain View, Emeryville, and Seattle down into the new tower. I worked in that building before it was even a building, my bootprints are probably still on a few beams in there.)

About a year after I started working there, Adobe bought Frame (desktop publishing outfit.) Julie was EA to the GC of frame, survived the "acquisition RIF," and became the files manager in legal.

Of course, I was the one who had to move the files from San Jose to Mountain View, and back to San Jose a year later. So, as you can guess, we talked a lot and were good buddies.

The week-end after I quit there (I decided I didn't want to be in charge anymore, since I wasn't getting any support. And the director I worked for wanted me to wear a suit to work - I told him he'd be buying the suits, paying for the tailoring, I'd have ultimate say on the material and cut, and he'd have to pick up the drycleaning bills. I lead from the front - everywhere I sent someone, they could easily see that I'd been there before. Ya either saw my bootprints on the ground in front of you, or felt them on your arse if you weren't moving fast enough to catch up...) Julie needed her computer fixed, so I came over.

That was twelve years ago.

The interesting bit? She's 17 years older that I am, but I look ten years older that she does (being blonde, she hides her grey well. No such luck for me - salt-and-pepper in the beard. If I let it come in long enough tho, it comes in red. Hah?)

So, I'd consider us a "happy accident" - we were both at a stage where we'd stopped looking when we found each other. Nicely done!

Back