• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'96 Driveshaft

heyhar

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched around, but I can't seem to find it. On a '96 and later, does the rubber boot on the slip yoke make removing the driveshaft any different than without? I haven't gone under it yet, and Haynes (?) is vague on the subject. We now have two '96's, so I guess I better bone up on it. Thanks.

If you have the rubber boot at the junction of your drive shaft and transfer case, mark the orientation of the drive shaft to the rear differential, remove the straps on the rear differential u-joint, cut off or twist open the silver strap (similar to a zip tie) on the transfer case rubber boot and slide the drive shaft off of the splined transfer case output shaft. The output shaft is fixed and the transfer case fluid will all stay inside the transfer case. Use a zip tie to replace the silver strap.

Back