• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME lift + Shackles & Spacers?

Nick

NAXJA Member #690
Has anyone run the OME lift with spacers and shackles? How did it work for you? Did you do any other suspension mods like LCA's or track bar? If anyone reads this should I replace anything else with this lift? Finally, What are the biggest tires I can fit with this set up if I don't need big articulation, but don't want rubbing while turning? How about if I use Fender flares? I do most of my wheeling at the beach so I don't need hyperflex like you rock guys.

Thanks

With stock wheels you'll rub the control arms with 31's

True. With the OME setup I use 3/4 spacers in the front along with the factory isolators and the stance is nearly perfect. Unless you really need the clearance, I would go with just OME at first. With that extra inch, you teeter on the edge of replacing LCA's. Additionally, it is very possible to use OME without a SYE and have no vibes. When I added a bock and extra 1" spacer, vibes. I have the OME med. duty springs with OME standard duty shocks. It rocks. As for tires, 31's will rub lca's with factory backspacing, and they will rub fenders with less backspacing unless you trim or are careful. You can run 31's on stock wheels if you shim the steering to reduce turning radius, but is the extra inch of lift and tire size really worth it?
Yes, it is, but its your decision.
:next:

Whose LCA's would you recommend? Is there a particular length I need. Also, I run 30/9.5/15 Baja belted on stock rims now and get LCA rubbing in wheel lock. What if I use wheel with different backspacing with the lift? I was thinking of adding lift shackles and ACOS to the OME lift; any thoughts?

I'm using the standard 2.5" lift OME suspension on my XJ with 31x10.5 Goodyear MT/Rs on the stock wheels and have almost no rubbing. I have not trimmed the fenders yet, but will before I go any further up or larger in tire size.

I did switch to aftermarket lower control arms that are round with an adjustment to correct caster, but I don't remember who made them and I'm 700 miles away from my Jeep at the moment. The factory LCAs are really bad about rubbing, but if you go to an aftermarket LCA that is round even when it does rub it doesn't sound like the world is coming to an end like the factory LCAs!

Robert

i have 30X9.50 Dayton Timberline M/T that rub on the LCA with a Daystar econo 1" lift, i have heard that you can add OME 2.5" lift and not need SYE. will find out soon.

with a 2" OME system and BB you can run 31's. Yes backspacing makes a diff on if you rub.

I would get the 3" system and add BB so then you can run 32's and 33's if you use BW flairs.

Running stock wheels with 30.5x9.5. Should I use the factory spacer with the lift? I just ordered 3" front coils from ome that are for the v8 cherokee and 3" rear springs.

I thing you need something between the jeep and the springs and the factory isolator works fine for that and you would lose about a half inch and the a$$ end would be higher.

sorry i didnt understand that poppa, do you mean i should get another spacer and use it with the isolator, or just use the factory
isolators by themselves. I really dont want the a$$ end hgher. if i have 3" spring in the front and 3" in the rear i would think if i used the factory isolator in the front that the front would actually be higher? thanks

It works well for me

I have run the OME and spacer/shakels since my 2000 XJ was new. The front is the OME 2" coils and a total of 2" spacers. The rear is modified Chevy shakels and heavy duty OME leaf springs. With the 8.25 rear end you will have vibs so plan on at least a TC spacer but the SYE is much better.

Angus

I am sorry... I was saying if the factory isolator is still there, use it.

I wouldn't add a spacer to that.

I run this setup. '93 XJ manual trans

I have the "standard" OME and have for over two years. I recently added the Rocky roads 2" BB kit. I already had an adj trackbar and vibes/TC drop to go with the OME. (Yes, 8.25 rear)

When I added the BB, I felt it was probably a good idea to add bar pin eliminators, and the Rocky roads ones added over an inch to the shock lenght to get the shock travel closer to it original position.

I ended up adding a drop pitman arm and that helped with some of the bump steer and I added adj LCA's to get the alignment back in place (though you might be able to do it without). Add them after you get it aligned, if you need them.

I wheeled it with 30's on stock rims ad rubbed the front shock towers on flex. I now have 31x10.5 Xterrrains on 3.75 BS wheels - but haven't had a chance to really flex it up with them...

bburge

I'm running XTerrain 31's (they don't make a 32) but on 3.75" backspaced

Back