• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME lift & 31's?

MinotJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to lift my stock '96 XJ pretty soon and have been reading about lift setups and tires for some time now. I don't want to put a huge lift on, just a little height for some bigger tires that will be useful during North Dakota winters but not so much lift that I will run into problems with driveshaft angles, vibration, etc. I've been looking closely at an Old Man Emu suspension, but their lift is only about 2.5". If I choose the OME lift and 31x10.5 with stock rims will I be able to get away with this? I wouldn't mind a little rubbing as long as I don't crunch a quarter panel or ruin a tire.

You can generaly run up to about 3" without much or any problem. With that size lift you can run 32x11.5's with a lil bit of rubbing. Also personaly i did run my 32's on the stock rims for a while. They exposed the sidewalls a bit but if your not doing alot of rock crawling you should be fine.

I found that my investigation led me to one conclusion, unless you flex it probably won't rub. I'm running the same set up your thinking of with the addition of adj. coil spacers and 1.5" rear shackles and I think the 30's I have look a bit small. I don't know if you'll encounter it, but I had a 95 with rusty's 3" lift and had driveline vibrations, the set up I have now on my 96 has an sye so no driveline vibes, but I do have death wobble which I'm trying to cure. I guess you should not be as concerned with the tire size and what may happen when you lift it, when people say each xj acts differently they mean it;good luck and keep us posted.

I was able to stuff those 32's very nicely on the stock rims......i also get the death wobble from time to time. I replaced my lower controol arms and got my tires balanced (duh) and it hasent done it in a while.

Spc. Stauffer Camp JC Iraq

I ran my MJ with 3" coil & 1.75" poly spacer, stock control arms (all the LCA caster shims I could fit) & steering and deep trimming. No DW until it had been heavily beaten on for a couple seasons.

The next XJ I lift (4-5") it'll have at least a longer LCA and fresh bushings in the UCA/axle brackets.

woody said:
I ran my MJ with 3" coil & 1.75" poly spacer, stock control arms (all the LCA caster shims I could fit) & steering and deep trimming. No DW until it had been heavily beaten on for a couple seasons.

The next XJ I lift (4-5") it'll have at least a longer LCA and fresh bushings in the UCA/axle brackets.
I guess i did really beat on my xj befor i got the DW.

Ome & 31x9.5's
standard.jpg

With 31x10.5;s
standard.jpg

Anyone running the 31x9.50 TSL radials? Got pics? I'm pretty set on trying them out on mine once I put the lift on in the spring.
Oh... and 4wd shows the OME lift in their catalog as just being AAL for the rear, I'd rather have new packs for the rear. How much have you guys paid for the kit that comes with the full packs? How much lift did it net? Mines a V6 so I'm guessing I'll end up a tad bit higher in the front than the I6 guys, I'm thinking a 1" set of shackles in rear should level that out?
Mike B.

1986xj said:
Anyone running the 31x9.50 TSL radials? Got pics? I'm pretty set on trying them out on mine once I put the lift on in the spring.

See above post of mine. In the first pic the jeeps wearing TSL radials.

I neted 3.5 but settled down in the front to 2 1/2 and 3 in the rear.

I paid 700 for my ome. I got the HD rear springs.

I'm going to add a BB in spring.

Last edited:
Synister1 said:
See above post of mine. In the first pic the jeeps wearing TSL radials.

I neted 3.5 but settled down in the front to 2 1/2 and 3 in the rear.

I paid 700 for my ome. I got the HD rear springs.

I'm going to add a BB in spring.

I thought they were, but they looked funny with the center tread all continuous they musta been worn down pretty good in that pic :)
Sounds like I should net about 3" all the way around then once broke in since my front should be a little lighter. Was that recently you got the kit for 700? And where if you don't mind me asking.
Thanks,
Mike B.

RJ at AV4x4 has good prices he goes by TOZOVR. Also, Rocky Road Outfitters has been good to deal with and they sell OME though I bought mine from RJ as he lives in my area.

Back