• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME lift done YEAH. Now just 2 more q's.

540ismiley

NAXJA Forum User
I got it on. I did i did.

A friend of my dad's and I put my OME lift on this weekend. We stared saturday at 2pm and went to 1am the following morning. I have never done any work on a car before. That was alot of fun. i learned alot.
I was wondering if I should get brake lines for the rear? I plan to go wheeling with it of course. if so how much should I do? It has a 2.5 inch lift on it.

Also i was wondering about swaybar disc. i want to get some. but, is this just something i Would use only on the trails?
thanks for all the help. this setup rides awsome.

josh
OME 2.5 lift
1997 xj se

Congrats on you first lift, expect to do many more if you're anything like the rest of us ;) :rolleyes: :D

At 2.5" you won't need a new brakeline, I was pushing it a little at 4", but you should be fine.

Swaybar disconnects....only used offroad, and save yourself the trouble and throw down for JKS's the first time around. HTH

Ary

ditto what ary said. i have the OME and boost and needed to extend the rear line, but at 2.5" you should be ok. GO with JKS disco's

IF you have the money, buy a set of extended stainless steel braided lines otherwise dont worry about it. That way you have longer brakelines for when you go bigger, and yes you will go bigger;) and also the stainless steel braid keeps the rubber of the hose from swelling when under pressure which makes the brake petal feel more firm.

Go with the mentioned above sway bar discos. ALWAYS keep the swaybars connected on the road. Its much easier to roll on the road with the bars off. I know from experiance:mad:

I have an OME lift and was not comfortable with the the stock brakes lines. I went and got a stock rear brake line for a YJ Wrangler. It's about 2" longer than stock XJ.

On the front I extended the brake lines by straigtning the metal part of the line and reattaching it to the frame with new holes.

IMO, for every inch you lift, you extend the lines the same amount.
Besides, most lift kits give you more suspention travel than you would have stock.

Dave

More upgrades Tires? Bush guard, roof rack

I want to do some extierior (sp) stuff to my 97 xj. Looking to get some bigger tires on my rig. I have the 2.5 OME lift on it. What do you all think? I like to go snow boarding in the winter and the mountains can be tricky sometimes. What kind of tire should I get i live in Colorado.

Also, i was looking for dual roof rack. I do use ladders for work and I was also looking for something to put my snowboard on. Any suggestions?

Ideas with bush gaurds??? I want to put more lights on my rig.
thanks
josh

I have a 97 also. I'm wondering if you had vibration problems form the 2.5" lift?

Did you do the Slip Yoke Eliminator, or lower the transfer case?

Thanks,

Jeff-97XJ

I have a little probelm with vib. I haven't done anything with it yet. Do you know what needs to be done?
thanks
josh

From what I've gathered, researching the lifting issue that I plan on doing soon to my 97 XJ, it seems that lifting it more than an inch (up-country) stock height, usually leads to driveline vibrations.

The solution to this is to either, lower the transfer case 1", which is cheap and easy, or (2) to rebuild the transfer case by adding a Slip yoke eliminator. This also requires the purchase of a new rear driveshaft and CV joints. Total cost for this job is about $700.00 from what I've gathered.

How bad are your vibes?
Did you have any before the lift?
Where and when do you feel them?

Jeff-97XJ

just a thought on the disconnects-

everyone is saying shell out a $125+ for JKS disconnects which i hear are a good product

...but you could also consider just shelling out $5 at the local hardware store for a large wingnut for the top... and a "hitch pin" and a few washers for the bottom. maybe takes an extra minute to unscrew the wingnut on top( that's both sides), but figure how often you are really going to need to diconnect your swaybar....and how that money could be better spent on more crucial mods. on the minus side you lose the "Bling- Bling" factor of JKS's and are not as cool :looser:

I ramped mine to check the brake lines and mine had a little left in them at full flex (~950@20*).

The homemade disco's are certainly a cheaper option and are initially much more attractive. On the other hand, depending how often you wheel and what kind of a person you are (and your budget) - the JKS may or may not be worth it to you. A friend of mine did the homemade thing and I could disco both sides before he got one done, and could reconnect and air back up before he could get even one side back on. I think it ended up breaking on him as well. If you do it wrong, you run the risk of having it break on you - and the only thing more likely to roll you on the street than having a disco'd front sway bar is having a disco'd front sway bar and NOT KNOWING about it! Speaking of which, use loctite on the JKS if you get them... I had one work loose on me...fell off somewhere between Abilene and Atlanta!

But the homemade thing, done right, is a pretty nifty way to save a hundred bucks.

You should be able to get the SYE for less than $700, unless I missed something. Tom Woods has a combo: HD SYE + CV driveshaft for $525. Surely shipping doesn't cost more than $50 bucks? Shims don't cost that much... Did I miss something?

There is another option. Lowering your t-case is cheap and usaully works - but you lose an inch of ground clearance in a vital area. Rusty makes a (very) heavy-duty crossmember with a 1" drop built in that is not suppossed to cost any clearence. It's somewhere around 100 bucks (I can't remember). I have one, but haven't put it on. I'll let you know if it gets rid of my minor vibes - or if I have any trouble with it. It's beefy though - 1/4" steel all over! Seems like overkill to me, to be honest...

im currently running 3 inches on my 90 and a have no vibes what so ever. I am still running the stock break lines without problems. Im also running 32x11.50's. You shouldnt need to do anything else to make your lift work. ie trans drop or sye.

Spc Stauffer Camp JC Irqa

My vibs are not too bad. i din't have any befor e the lift and i usually feel them from 30-55mph. i need to do something they are getting annoying
josh

On 97's and newer the vibes are almost a certainty with a lift. Older XJ's could get away with 3-4" with no vibe troubles.

The cheapest and easiest is the 1" transfer case lowering. This corrects the drive angles and only costs a few dollars for the spacers. Downside is you lose 1" of ground clearance under the TC.

A better but much more expensive way is what I mentioned in my previous post about the SYE. (Slip-Yoke eliminator).

There are many threads about SYE's on this BBS and do a search and you should be able to find some info.

Hope this helps-

Jeff

Back