• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flaring tool for brake lines

TheLaredo

NAXJA Forum User
Im going ahead and doing the 95-96 XJ brake booster mod, and was wondering what kind of flaring tool/ kit do I need to get? Can I go to Harbor Freight and pick a cheap one up or should I splurge a bit? Also I noticed that there is a metric and SAE flare kit. Which one would be suitable for the Brake Booster lines?

thanks in advance.

Im going ahead and doing the 95-96 XJ brake booster mod, and was wondering what kind of flaring tool/ kit do I need to get? Can I go to Harbor Freight and pick a cheap one up or should I splurge a bit? Also I noticed that there is a metric and SAE flare kit. Which one would be suitable for the Brake Booster lines?

thanks in advance.

Contrary to what people are about to say some CHEAP flaring tools work great. Just make sure you heavily tighten the clamps and poperly space for the flare. I bought mine for 14$ and it worked great.

Double flare is what you need.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061SGG8

This is the one I purchased to do my dual diaphram booster swap/abs elimination.
Like I said the tightness was stressed to me so I cranked that clamp as tight as I could using the flare tool as leverage. All of my flares worked great.

I also recomend a "close quarters" line cutter it will make your life a bit easier.

Personally, I've always hated the bar & yoke style tools. Even tightening down the bar *AND* clamping it in a vice never got me a decent flare. I picked up a pliers style flare tool from JCWhitney probably 10 years ago, and I've been really happy with it.

Albandit pretty much said it all. i all ready had a double flare tool from NAPA, but i paid alot more. about $60 if i remember correctly. but i am betting the less expensive ones will work fine as long as you keep it clean and use it properly. and yes the close quarters line cutter is a huge time saver, not to mention a stress reliever when needing to make a cut at a short bend. i would highly advise getting one. if you dont all ready have a good reamer or something to clean the inside of the tubing after you cut it, get one. my flaring tool came with a nice one, but a good counter sink style bit will work too. it will make the flare come out a lot cleaner and nice, and will help keep the tubing from splitting at the flare.

Back