• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix to HO swap using '96 XJ stuff

kpj

NAXJA Forum User
I ended up purchasing a 1996 XJ to swap the HO stuff over to my 1988 MJ. I was hoping for a 1995 or earlier, but this was to good of a deal to pass up ($200)and I knew the history of it.

I plan on swapping everything including the dash and all of the wiring since I want ac in it as well. My question is, it looks like the fuel pump on the 96 mounts in a similar way as the one in MJ, will it swap over to keep the fuel gage working?

When I bought my truck last summer, I had to replace my gas tank and went with one that didn't have the slosh pan, not sure if that's pertinent or not, but figured I would add that as well.

Ken

I ended up purchasing a 1996 XJ to swap the HO stuff over to my 1988 MJ. I was hoping for a 1995 or earlier, but this was to good of a deal to pass up ($200)and I knew the history of it.

I plan on swapping everything including the dash and all of the wiring since I want ac in it as well. My question is, it looks like the fuel pump on the 96 mounts in a similar way as the one in MJ, will it swap over to keep the fuel gage working?

When I bought my truck last summer, I had to replace my gas tank and went with one that didn't have the slosh pan, not sure if that's pertinent or not, but figured I would add that as well.

Ken

If you used a regulation MJ replacement gas tank, the 96 XJ pump and sender will not mount up inside the MJ tank w/o modifications. The MJ and XJ senders are mirror images of each other and mount in opposite directions. The only PnP unit that will work with the correct output polarity for your 96 swap is a sender from a 91-92 MJ. Lots of luck finding one of those.

Back