NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Red River Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Red River Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old November 6th, 2017, 10:45
NAXJA Member

Re: What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Hey you all know the Modern Technology better than I I don't drive my XJ a lot after dark except on trails. I have plenty LED spot and flood for that. My issue is I'm OLD and have hard(er) time at night on road. The stock headlights suck. I am looking for inexpensive LED or a solution for better on road lights. What's out there or maybe what do you have?
Old November 6th, 2017, 11:12
NAXJA# 2091

What year is it? The Renix years, and maybe OBD-I-?, SUCK because the power goes all the way to the head light switch and then to head lights, huge voltage and amps loss in the path....I installed a $36 harness off Ebay on mine that tripled the light power on mine that uses the head light switch to run a relay under the hood that powers the head lights on a short path right to the battery. I also got cataract surgery that fixed my night vision and head light glare problem!!!!

That helped more than the harness!!! I do not like the aftermarket headlights stuff as they make me to want install automated blinding spot lights on my fenders for when those clowns blind me with them LOL. BUt I seriously doubt that would do any good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjintx View Post
Hey you all know the Modern Technology better than I I don't drive my XJ a lot after dark except on trails. I have plenty LED spot and flood for that. My issue is I'm OLD and have hard(er) time at night on road. The stock headlights suck. I am looking for inexpensive LED or a solution for better on road lights. What's out there or maybe what do you have?
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091

Last edited by Ecomike; November 6th, 2017 at 11:20.
Old November 6th, 2017, 14:58
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Have you upgraded the wiring harness?

01 XJ Sport 2 door 5spd/4WD- 4" lift, 35" BFG ATs, JCR bumpers, Rubi 44, Ford 8.8, 4.56's, ARBs
Old November 8th, 2017, 05:16
NAXJA Member

It's a 2000 no I have not changed harness. Think new harness and bulbs would help?
Old November 8th, 2017, 08:07
NAXJA Member

Quote:
It's a 2000 no I have not changed harness. Think new harness and bulbs would help?
Yeah. Even just the harness helps. Iíve got a piggyback one that triggers off the stock harness. Bigger wires straight to the battery. The stock harness is too small and doesnít even throw a full 12v to he headlamps. Maybe 9/10.

That plus silverstars on my 98 was almost too bright

01 XJ Sport 2 door 5spd/4WD- 4" lift, 35" BFG ATs, JCR bumpers, Rubi 44, Ford 8.8, 4.56's, ARBs
Old November 8th, 2017, 09:02
NAXJA Member

John what harness ...have a link? What about the Silver Stars... can XJ use different ones?
Old November 8th, 2017, 14:17
NAXJA# 2091

No time to search right now, but Cruiser54 is an expert on those harnesses. There are 2-3 great threads on the OEM forum with links to the harnesses we have bought and used and the performance .....

Just search "Headlight Harness" in the OEM forum
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old November 8th, 2017, 14:47
NAXJA Member

Quote:
John what harness ...have a link? What about the Silver Stars... can XJ use different ones?
Hereís the harness I have

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001P...fvL&ref=plSrch

The silver stars are just drop in replacement sealed beams. You could also go h4 bulbs with separate housings if you wanted to.

Iíd do the harness, check the improvement then see if you want more

Old November 8th, 2017, 14:48
NAXJA Member

Cool I'll research. I've decided I'm buying a 2nd gen Tacoma TRD Sport that is setup pretty nice. So the Jeep will not be an issue driving at night. Probably let it go since I don't off road much anymore. I'm doing a lot more Rallies and Expo stuff. Wife said the Jeep is too old to put more money into.
Old November 8th, 2017, 15:08
NAXJA# 2091

LOL, that is what I told my now ex wife, LMAO. But I kept the jeep. Take care my friend that the wife does not decide you are too old too, you were born before 1997 right? LMOA

Quote:
So the Jeep will not be an issue driving at night. . Wife said the Jeep is too old to put more money into.
And here I am renovating another 87 and yours is a 97,

I just fired up the 85 Diesel XJ.
Old November 8th, 2017, 15:34
NAXJA# 2091

Can't get much more cost effective than this. Reports have been as good as doubling the light. THis fits your 1997

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-H4-Head...0AAOxy69JTBukR

Hong Kong sources are 2-3 weeks faster delivery (days), but about $6 more.
THis one fits the 1997 2.5L, says it does not fit the 4.0? But there are many more like these on ebay. I bought a pair for 87 4 head light Wagoneer, they are excelllent quality, and IIRC Fused, where as the $49 Puttco is not.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceramic-H4-...MAAOSwAF5UZuwE

Quote:
Cool I'll research. I've decided I'm buying a 2nd gen Tacoma TRD Sport that is setup pretty nice. So the Jeep will not be an issue driving at night. Probably let it go since I don't off road much anymore. I'm doing a lot more Rallies and Expo stuff. Wife said the Jeep is too old to put more money into.
Old November 8th, 2017, 16:15
NAXJA# 2091

I have 2 of those. The replacement relays are expensive and they did use sealed weather tight connections, so mounting must be done to make sure water can not get into the relays. I wiped out 3 of them in weeks of my first installs.

They have gone up about $15 higher than when I bought them. There is new, better quality, with fused wires version out now for under $20 on Ebay. I bought 2 of them to do my Wagoneer-XJ, but have not installed them yet. Bought them middle of last year. Round-to-it project.

Hit 292,xxx miles on my 87 Renix Wagoneer. About to get a fresh paint job on it, have a roof rust issue that started
Old November 10th, 2017, 17:48
NAXJA Forum User

I have some high beam offroad leds in my red 2 door they should have a black Friday sale coming up. That's when i bought mine last year
Old November 10th, 2017, 18:06
NAXJA# 2091

Helped a new guy from Washington...swap an O2 sensor on his 97 XJ today. Tried out my new impact wrench on the stuck leaf spring bolts on my not so soon to be spare beast, my hands gave out, not the bolts, but that was after 15 minutes of beating on then with 600 ft lbs torque. Tomorrow is a new day, LOL

The guy I helped today had two other problems he did not know about, The rear O2 sensor wiring-harness to the sensor wiring was ripped to shreds by the drive shaft. But the original codes only said the front sensor was bad. Also he has zero tail pipe after the loose muffler. New guy, new job, trying to back on his feet. Meet at Kroger LOL. Also his tali gate does not lock, holding it shut with a bungee cord , needs a new lock mechanism and maybe a tail gate. Its Red.

Discovered I can swing a sledge hammer again. Shocking I beat a bumper back into shape yesterday on a Tahoo so that rear door can open again.
Old November 11th, 2017, 12:30
NAXJA# 2091

Did a re-repair on the cut CV joint BOOT on my Saturn today. It started leaking, but was not making any noise yet. I took plastic soda straw and duct taped it into the plastic CV joint grease packet I bought for re-greasing it, and stuck the packet in boiling water to make the grease fluid enough to flow through the straw so I could squeeze it into the small hole in the boot. Second time I did this, and it works great, no need to remove the clamp and boot. Then I resealed the slice with a special scuba diving rubber sealant cement used on scuba diving gear. I used a lot heavier thicker patch this time. Its basically liquid rubber, in bottle with a brush. Fast drying. Sort of like the liquid electrical tape but far superior.

I hope I can get another 10-20,000 miles before it leaks again.